Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ascii Text
Is there a way to send and receive ASCII text? There a few reasons for this,
1) I have the Omni Pro not the the Omni Pro II. So I need a way to control my HVAC with ASCII via touch screen and IR.
2) I made a small wireless touch screen for my backyard that uses ASCII text.
You can send/receive things through a serial port using a CQC driver. You'll either need to be using devices like your thermostat or your touch panel for which there are already drivers written, or you'll need to write a driver yourself that can send and receive the appropriate commands. The drivers create fields that you can reference from your user interface so that commands can be sent in response to the user clicking buttons or what not, and information can be returned from devices and displayed.

For HVAC thermostats, there are existing drivers for RCS, Aprilaire and Prophilix devices. There's work in progress by other members for some of the Honeywell thermostats that support automation.

If you do have to build something, there are a good number of drivers are around that are really just thin wrappers over device's serial protocols. There's a bit of a learning curve, but there are a lot of examples around and lots of people to help out... A thermostat or a touch screen may be a little more complex in many ways, but if your needs are simple you can get your feet wet pretty easily.
We still have the old Omni driver around. It's not really supported, but it's still there, and it's slow because the 9600 serial port was way too slow for the info that the Omni provides. But I'll be happy to send it to you if you want to use it.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Dean that would be great. I like all the support here, everyone is very helpful. It reminds me the way things used to be with the other software. (ML):-) I'm not jugging, I just saying.;-)
The old driver is attached. It should be a 2.0 version driver pack. If it gives you a hard time about it not being the right version, let me know.

Attached Files
.cqcdrvpack   OldHAIDriver.CQCDrvPack (Size: 23.39 KB / Downloads: 5)
Dean Roddey
How do setup/install this file? What folder do i place it it? I placed it in the drivers folder then clicked on add driver and it was not with the other drivers. The file appears to be different then the other drivers, but maybe I wrong about that.
It's a driver pack. Move it back out of the drivers directory somewhere else. Then in the Admin Interface use the Administer -> Import Package to import it. It will then show up.
Dean Roddey
I an reading from HAI fine. I'm not sure about writing. When I setup a button, under actions I have the field set to HAI invoke Cmd then it asks for a value. What is the value for? Is that numbers to the messages setup in HAI?
That is documented in the Omni driver documentation. That hasn't really changed in the new driver (though some of the commands are new and won't work in that older driver.) But, more to the point, you have to configure the CQC driver for what you have installed. See the Omni driver documentation for how to do this.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Echo as Text-To-Speech jkmonroe 8 6,256 12-13-2016, 07:43 AM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Text to Speech and Sonos jkmonroe 10 6,808 02-18-2014, 05:18 AM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Include Variable in button text? rtarver 3 2,305 09-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Text Editor Syntax File for PDL hucker 0 1,476 05-14-2009, 01:42 AM
Last Post: hucker
  Text to speech voices Dean Roddey 11 5,916 12-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Last Post: sic0048
  Dynamic text ellisr63 5 2,404 11-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Last Post: ellisr63
  Upgrade issue - text bleeding Sparks 13 3,824 07-21-2008, 05:59 AM
Last Post: sic0048
  Russound CAV6.6 Doorbell, Text To Speech and Paging gacevich 37 14,231 04-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Last Post: kayemsi
  Converting Text hex to Binary val? beelzerob 2 1,838 06-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Last Post: beelzerob
  Send ascii text string from IR command Bugman 13 3,283 05-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey