Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another post2.0 wish-list
Dean, I am about a week or two away from starting my first CQC build. Paid for the software 4 months ago (Hmmm....that reminds me - I have to get you to send me a key!) but just haven't had a PC lined up to do the CQC Master Server duties.

Now that I'm almost ready to start, I have a whole bunch of requests for features I would REALLY like implemented. Some are gonna be simple, some are going to have to wait - in the end you will decide if/when they go in. But I thought it might be good to just throw them out there and see what others think.

I don't know if this is the right place to post them, move them if you wish.

OK - here goes....

1) I don't know whether CQC v2 supports J River Media center repository yet, but if it doesn't - this is the number one request for me - I can't have any music in my system until this is supported. No - I will not re-rip 400-odd CD's into the wma format. I've already ripped them all once - I don't want to have to do it again! Or preferably....

2) PLEASE have the CQC music repository support other formats besides wma. I have nothing against the wma format - especially lossless - but MANY people, including myself don't want to go through the whole rip process again! Personally I want the ape format supported, but I understand there are a lot of people using mp3, and I've seen flac files mentioned as well.

3) If CQC v2 does not support importing the old myHTPC format for other file repositories, please add this asap, or preferably.....

4) Have the current CQC repository support other sub-categories apart from just music & DVDs. I can think of at least 3 other categories of media databases I wish to have handled separately and I'll bet I'm not the only one. Think along the lines of digital movies of family stuff, or music videos, or specific TV episodes, or recorded and archived HDTV stuff...that kind of thing.

5) Now we get into the stuff that's really "nice to have, but may involve a lot of thought" category. Included here is the ability to search through a specified sub-category using parameter-based filters. This should go far beyond just title & artist. In music, movies (and hopefully other categories to also be added to the repository - nudge, nudge!) you should be able to search on GENRE and, possibly, whatever other parameters are available to be used.

6) Finally, it would be great to be able to random play any repository sub-category and, optionally, be able to random play based on GENRE. As an example, in the music category, you could random-play all tracks, or you could filter by genre and apply random-play to, say, funk. This would then random-play tracks where the album has the genre "funk". But not just music. It would be great to have this capability with other media as well. Imagine getting the repository to play a random "SCIENCE-FICTION" movie, or having the TV episode repository play a random episode of "The Simpsons".

I think adding this would make the repository a lot more powerful, flexible...and fun! I understand this might add to the complexity somewhat, (and therefore it might take some time before it’s implemented) but I can dream can't I?

Anyway, these are just my wants/needs and opinions so feel free to comment positively or negatively. Any discussion is a GOOD thing.
#1 is already there - there's a JRMC repo driver. You need to export the JRMC as XML and then load that in, but that's a one time thing (well, every time you add new music or retag your collection, anyway).
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
Thanks for confirming that IVB. I guess that means I can have my ape files available through CQC which is great.

However, I imagine the advanced search functions I mention later on in the post will require, if implemented, a unified repository. I can't see Dean developing this functionality for each repository type - i.e. CQC repository, AND JRiver repository, AND DVD Profiler repository AND MyHTPC repository. That's just not an efficient use of his time.
Quote:4) Have the current CQC repository support other sub-categories apart from just music & DVDs. I can think of at least 3 other categories of media databases I wish to have handled separately and I'll bet I'm not the only one. Think along the lines of digital movies of family stuff, or music videos, or specific TV episodes, or recorded and archived HDTV stuff...that kind of thing.

You can already put in home movies or TV episodes, if you are using our repository. You just have to manually add a movie collection, and point it at your existing files on disc. You can group TV episides together under a single title set.

Pictures will have to wait for us to add some more support.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I have several series added to the movies portion. I set up a Title Set for Smallville Season 1 and each collection points to an episode. Works well. I even added episode images although I think the title image should show in the CAB when there is no collection image.

Russ...
Dean Roddey Wrote:You can already put in home movies or TV episodes, if you are using our repository. You just have to manually add a movie collection, and point it at your existing files on disc. You can group TV episides together under a single title set.

Pictures will have to wait for us to add some more support.

I was thinking about this a lot last night, too... I think it would be great to be able to filter the CAB based on more than genre/category.

Several of us with kids have mentioned filtering based on rating. But why stop there? Why not expose a filter mechanism that can filter basically on any field in the repository (it's is just a database, after all). For example, maybe someone wants to filter by Aspect Ratio. Why not? It's available, so why not have it be filterable?

There are a number of ways it could be possibly implemented, but it would be very handy, in the same way that it's handy to be able to sort on anything.
First off, Dean, that's great news that the current repository can support TV episodes, home movies etc! That makes life a lot easier for me! :-)

bph, I agree with what you say, and that's the point I was trying to get across initially. With advanced search functions, if there's a parameter in the database you should be able to filter on it. As an example, for movies if there's a director, a year, a rating, a runtime (I don't know what the current repository supports yet) then ideally you should be able to filter on these things.

In another thread I recall Mark saying something about other music formats not being supported any time soon. Is this true?
Supporting other formats, in terms of formats our MRM will rip to, is not at the top of the list right now. There are various other things that need to get done first.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  5.0 UI wish list Mark Stega 38 15,542 06-03-2015, 03:52 PM
Last Post: NightLight
  Post 3.1 Quirks/Wish List jrlewis 162 34,029 09-20-2010, 04:03 AM
Last Post: batwater
  ScrollToChar on a static list? SamVimes2 6 3,019 01-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Last Post: SamVimes2
  Feature Request - Add 'scroll list' commands to IV Driver sic0048 3 2,962 12-24-2008, 03:50 AM
Last Post: kchad
  Should users be allowed to view/vote on the list of requests? scott 14 5,896 01-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Sparks