Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is anyone using QuickTime?
So Mark pointed out that QuickTime for Windows is no longer supported and actually has known security issues that won't get fixed. We have both QT and iTunes support. QT support is to allow audio playback via the QT engine in our media player, which is a separate thing from iTunes support. I guess maybe it might have been there to allow playback of protected iTunes content via our audio player?

We should definitely remove QuickTime at least since it's not safe and it's recommended it be removed. If they have some replacement perhaps we can look at that. But I wanted to see if anyone was using it still. Probably not, I'm guessing.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
(03-05-2021, 03:46 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: So Mark pointed out that QuickTime for Windows is no longer supported and actually has known security issues that won't get fixed....

We should definitely remove QuickTime at least since it's not safe and it's recommended it be removed. 

Why remove it? What is the risk of leaving it and the likelihood of exploitation? As with any vulnerability or "risk" you also have to look at the likelihood of occurrence (i.e., the occurrence of it being exploited).

There are many cases where a system cannot be patched or updated because doing say may break something. In these cases, you accept th risk and put in mitigating controls to lessen the likelihood of anything bad happening.
I don't think anyone is using it, and may never have ultimately. We'd like to get it off our build systems, and we don't want to encourage anyone to use it.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum