Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WeatherBit
I literally tripped on another weather provider that definitely would serve as a backup for our sole remaining free weather driver that I thought someone might want to look into.  https://www.weatherbit.io/api

The benefit I see from this is that it includes a 16 day forecast.  The limit for the free tier is 500 queries/day.
This may be a nice alternative when DarkSky/Apple kills their paid API for those of us who have one. The paid API is supposed to remain until the end of 2021. After that, who knows.

Heck, when the API does go dark, it may be the time to purchase a Personal Weather Station and integrate it into CQC.
(02-18-2021, 10:57 AM)gReatAutomation Wrote: Heck, when the API does go dark, it may be the time to purchase a Personal Weather Station and integrate it into CQC.

I still believe that this is the best option.  A PWS feeding weather underground to get their forecasts and your local data.  I liked what I saw when I set up my own key for WeatherBit though.  It does take 2 calls, one for current conditions and 1 for forecast but who really needs 16 days of forecast 250 times a day?  Smile
I took a quick look at the API, and it seems to be very similar to DarkSky and the JSON OpenWeatherMap driver I put together. As long as those are working, its hard to get motivated to make another driver. Using those drivers as a base, I would guess it would take a couple of days to get something working.

If someone wanted to tackle it, I would use the JSON OpenWeather driver as the base, as it is V2 compliant and was done using all the lessons that were learned from the DarkSky driver, but both of those are similar in how they work.