Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OK, now just need help with emails to SMS
Even though I got emails to work, I also want to send emails to T-Mobile's SMS gateway so they show up as texts on my phone.  They are being rejected, and I get mailer daemon error messages in my inbox.  If I send from my inbox, no problem, but everything from CQC gets rejected, with either sbcglobal.net or Comcast.  Anyone have any idea why?

-Tom
I am using AT&T, and I am able to send them using the configuration in the image below.  Interesting, I have no idea what the IP port does, as I have no open ports on 5000, but I did set this up a good while back. 

.jpg   CQC Email Setup.jpg (Size: 58.17 KB / Downloads: 9)

An example of the command used to send the emails is in a trigger below: 

System::EMail
    P1=GMAIL
    P2=EmailAddress@gmail.com
    P3=Alarm Message
    P4=Alarm System is Now Disarmed!

Blake
The port is the outgoing port that CQC is connecting to on the other side. If that's a nonsense port for gmail, then you may be connecting to a local secure socket client that is in turn making the secure connection on another port.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Thanks, both.  Let me summarize again:

I can get CQC to send emails to my sbcglobal.net inbox just fine, using either sbcglobal.net or Comcast as the SMTP server.
I can send emails to the T-Mobile SMS service (XXXXXXXXXX@tmomail.net) just fine from my sbcglobal.net inbox, and they show up as texts on my phone.
I can't send emails to the T-Mobile SMS service from CQC, using either sbcglobal.net or Comcast as the SMTP server.  They get rejected, and I get an error email from the mailer daemon in the corresponding inbox.

I've been searching the internet, and it looks like maybe the CQC-origin emails are being flagged by T-Mobile as undesired commercial texts, i.e. spam.  I will continue to look for a fix from T-Mobile.

-Tom
Here's something I found on T-Mobile's forum:

Per Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association (CTIA) Industry guidelines, Intercarrier guidelines and T-Mobile's own Terms and Conditions of Service, automated commercial SMS traffic routing on any network should use short codes.
Repetitive mass texts over 10-digit texting are forbidden by CTIA carriers, including T-Mobile. Continued SMS abuse can result in subscriber number being permanently blocked not only by T-Mobile, but also by other carriers, which is outside of T-Mobile control.
Commercial trafficking is only allowed through short code, and not through long code (10-digit numbers) and a customer must opt in to receive content.
Third-party services can send bulk messages, but such vendors are unaffiliated with T-Mobile.

Does that shed any light, Dean?  In this thread, several users complained of delivery failures from home automation and alarm systems.  As I said in the other thread, texts sent from my ISY are getting through.  And they all start with a short number, like 390-0 or 910-0.  It seems like all of my commercial texts do, like those from T-Mobile and Comcast about account updates.  Amex, Ooma, Uited, etc...

-Tom
I use AT&T, and don't have your issue, but have been thinking about switching to T-Mobile, which would probably not be a deal killer, but would make me think a bit.  Below is the code I use for AT&T:

System::EMail
    P1=GMAIL
    P2=XXXXXXXX@txt.att.net
    P3=Burglar Alarm
    P4=*** Warning - Burglar Alarm Has Been Activated ****
Thanks for the input.  I tried my wife's AT&T account, and I was able to send her a text from CQC via sbcglobal.net.

Anyway, do a google search on T-Mobile 550 permanent failure.  That's how I found the threads on the T-Mobile forum, and having read several, my opinion is that their spam filter is very aggressive.  Many complaints about automated texts being rejected, from software platforms and hardware devices.  I'd be careful about moving to T-Mobile if you need CQC email-to-SMS alerts.

-Tom

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Secure emails George M 11 5,591 03-08-2018, 06:38 AM
Last Post: batwater
  Sending emails Hitchcocknz 3 2,299 12-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Last Post: ToyMaster458