Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open sourcing CQC
I'm banging the installer into shape. I've got the UI bits right, next I need to trace through all of the background installer thread's stuff, and get all of the data upgrading straightened out. There's a fair bit of it.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I wasn't ready to face the installer back ground thread yet, so I'm working on the secure comms changes for web server and XML GW server. For the web server the changes are fairly minimal and I have it happy again. Most of the time was spent going back and figuring out (yet again) how to create a self-signed certificate since my old one expired.

Now I'm working on the XML GW. I have the server side, AFAIK, but I have to update my little client side text program to be sure, and the changes there are more extensive.
Dean Roddey
I hate everything to do with security certificates. I was having all kinds of problems and finally realized I'd followed (for the nth time) the wrong directions and that it requires a considerably more complex set of steps to get right. So my certificate wasn't correct, but in a way that wasn't obvious. Finally I got that right. The web server is happy, and finally the XML GW test client is getting a response back that indicates it's gotten through the certificate stuff successfully and I'm on to just dealing with my own protocol.

The other thing I've been working on is that I realized that probably both the secure and non-secure options for both those servers should be optional. It's always been the case that the insecure option was always enabled, which might not be acceptable. So now you can separately enable/disable them both, though of course the installer will require that you have one of them enabled if you enable the server itself.
Dean Roddey
I don't believe it, the test client got logged in and I was able to run some commands. So it's now working with certificate based encryption. So just need to bang on it a bit and make sure it's generally healthy. Another problem is that this required switching from raw sockets to 'data sources' which are my abstraction for a data sink/source. I have variations for secure and non-secure sockets, and I can just create the right type, and it's all handled cleanly via polymorphism.

But, some of the parameters are reversed in the data source interface relative to the socket interface, but they are compatible so no compile errors. And the data sources require a flush to send data after you build up a message, because if it's secure it has to be encrypted and then padded to the encrypted block size and such, so you can't just send bits as they are written. And I forgot that so msgs were mysteriously not being sent.

Oh well, I catch up eventually.
Dean Roddey
When I made the insecure connection optional, I forgot about the admin interface, which invokes the web server on the master server for help content. So I had to allow it to figure out what connections are available. If it's only insecure it uses that, if secure is available it needs that.

So I'm at the point now where I'm going start testing the actual installation process. The installer UI looks to be good now, and the installation data appears to be getting updated correctly.
Dean Roddey
I'm banging my way through the data upgrade process and getting the system up in the real installed configuration. It's a bit of a slow process because the changes in how things have done have sort of thrown a monkey wrench in to my long worked out scheme for easily switching between debug/production mode.
Dean Roddey
I've started getting some of the system up in the real (service based) configuration. So making progress. So far it's been kind of painful because the debugging process involves going back to the previous version, building the installer again, running the installer, breaking out when it unpacks itself, then debugging the unpacked installer. So it's a slow turnaround, but I think I have most of those issues worked out, so the data upgrading, moving things to their new locations, new security improvements and such. Since all of the servers are based on a common server framework, most of the rest should benefit equally from the work so far and there should just be some smallish, server specific issues to deal with.
Dean Roddey
Glad everything is moving forward.  Do you still plan on having a last version available to the subscribers before you release this one? I am interested in testing out your public domain version, but would definitely want to have a last version that uses the old security as an option in case problems arise with this one.
Any chance you are going to offer an annual tiered support service at the current license levels(same cost as today)? Or is that not viable.
thx
Kevin
That wouldn't really be possible.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Open Weather Map - CurIcon zra 2 1,250 11-08-2019, 12:45 PM
Last Post: zra
  I've open sourced my general purpose code Dean Roddey 0 794 03-09-2019, 06:53 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  One Driver - Multiple Comm Ports Open zra 4 2,862 05-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Last Post: zra
  Is ther any way to open a webpage in a template? pjgregory 12 4,256 06-16-2015, 05:13 AM
  Anybody want to open up their Aprilaire system for me? Dean Roddey 12 4,995 09-20-2014, 11:13 AM
  Open old templates in current CQC ? dave.neill 9 3,343 03-31-2011, 03:06 AM
Last Post: dave.neill
  CML Driver IDE won't open gfredricks 3 1,357 01-12-2011, 06:18 PM
  onSuccess open popup charliebarns 3 1,500 08-25-2009, 10:16 AM
  Limit of 10 open files in the CQC Editor rocker 13 4,360 06-07-2009, 01:39 PM
  Error when trying to open template in IV.. pjwinstalls 25 5,487 01-05-2009, 09:21 PM