Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open sourcing CQC
Dang. I stopped by just to see if there were any new posts of interest and find this. It's very bittersweet and I have mixed emotions.

I've asked several questions here and a few in avsforum over the past year or two as we have been building our new home.  I had made up my mind to go the cqc route, most subsystems I purchased and installed were with that in mind (although I'm sure would work with many other solutions). I even built a new rackmount PC to be dedicated to cqc.

But... I hadn't purchased yet. Mostly because I wasn't sure just how many devices I would connect to control it, and because I haven't had time to devote to setting it up and getting familiar with the programming. So that was a purchase planned that just didn't materialize in time.

I can't complain about the prospect of not having to buy a full license, and to be honest I'm excited about the potential of an open source community as I see what others like Kodi have accomplished over the years. But I feel a sense of guilt that I just didn't put the trigger sooner.

For sure... start a patreon, and let us know when you do.
So I've been banging away. I've definitely been in 'see a stain in the carpet, end up jacking up the house and replacing the floor joists' mode to a degree. Once I dug in I saw a number of new issues to address. But slowly the right answers have come. I've now reached the painful point of updating the installer to do all of the transitional mutation of stuff to prepare for the open source release.

As mentioned, there will be a last non-OS version, which should be 5.5. Everyone will have to go to that first. Then I'll do the open source version and folks can move to that. 5.5 will do all of the work required to make the transition, which I can then dump and never have to have it in the open source version.

I guess that should be 6.0 since that's obviously a major transition.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
wow, i've been psycho at work for nearly 4 straight yeas now (2 on travel to SoCal), on client-site (healthcare) every weekday in 2020 despite pandemic so I haven't had a chance to even think about HA much so barely read forums. Sorry to see this happen. Good luck with whatever you do next.
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
Like alot of folks here, I don't visit the forums too often and was surprised and sadden to see this post.

Dean - your support and response to user questions and issues were the best I've ever seen for any product. Thank you for all the time you put into CQC, and more specifically, the forums. I hope you find success and happiness in your next endeavor. Baring that, a job that pays well and has good benefits Smile
The latter is about the best I can probably hope for. I'm too old to roll the dice again.
Dean Roddey
Dean - Sorry to see your endeavor come to a close. It has been a long run and far longer that some of your competitors over time. You should look back and be proud of where the product started until now!

The entire home control environment has changed drastically over the last few years. It is difficult to make the business profitable. The manufacturers are increasingly more difficult to work with as they all want $$$ to allow connectivity. Anyway, you know all of this or you would not have made this decision and the product will continue to live on for developers.

Best of success in whatever is next for you.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
OK, I'm getting useful parts of the system back up now. I have the data server running, and the AI is able to configure user accounts, email accounts, serial ports, system config, etc... The file based stuff (templates, images, etc...) were not affected by any of these changes particularly so that's working. I have the logic server loading and storing its config. I need to get device driver config store/load going and then I can further test the logic server and other things that depend on drivers.
Dean Roddey
I have the event system, and device drivers, and the logic server back up. I still need to test out the web server, and I need to update the installer to add support for certificate based security for the gateway server, but mostly everything is back up now.

I had an idea about something that would make things a lot easier, and probably would have made some stuff I've been doing unnecessary. But it would take a bit of time and isn't immediately necessary, so I'll do it later. But it'll make the whole security thing easier to deal with, so I'll probably do it later on.
Dean Roddey
Well I thought I had events working, but there was something awry and figuring that out and fixing it was a bit of an adventure, but finally they really are working now. Oy! If it ain't one thing, it's one thing.
Dean Roddey
I think I have done the required changes for the installer, though that remains to be tested. Certificate info is now a separate thing, so it has its own panel. If you enable that, then the secure options for web server and XML server will be enabled in those later panels. If those are enabled, they will use the configured certificate.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Open Weather Map - CurIcon zra 2 1,250 11-08-2019, 12:45 PM
Last Post: zra
  I've open sourced my general purpose code Dean Roddey 0 794 03-09-2019, 06:53 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  One Driver - Multiple Comm Ports Open zra 4 2,862 05-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Last Post: zra
  Is ther any way to open a webpage in a template? pjgregory 12 4,256 06-16-2015, 05:13 AM
  Anybody want to open up their Aprilaire system for me? Dean Roddey 12 4,995 09-20-2014, 11:13 AM
  Open old templates in current CQC ? dave.neill 9 3,343 03-31-2011, 03:06 AM
Last Post: dave.neill
  CML Driver IDE won't open gfredricks 3 1,357 01-12-2011, 06:18 PM
  onSuccess open popup charliebarns 3 1,500 08-25-2009, 10:16 AM
  Limit of 10 open files in the CQC Editor rocker 13 4,360 06-07-2009, 01:39 PM
  Error when trying to open template in IV.. pjwinstalls 25 5,487 01-05-2009, 09:21 PM