Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Automated driveway gates
OK, hopefully the last part of our home construction that I just don't know anything about.

Are there any gate controllers that are known to play well with cqc?

And more generally, I'm wondering what the uses of tying gate to cqc would be. If there is a gate camera having it as part of blue iris instead of its own app. Anyone else have a gate they've integrated it in any way?
A gate controller is nothing more than a contact closure.

What type of gates are you installing and what would you ultimately like to do with controlling them? That is, simple open/close? Do you want a camera?

You may want to consider a DoorBird, which you can easily integrate with CQC by writing a simple driver with their API. They are pricey but you can find them on eBay for good prices used. The DoorBird station units come with internal wires used for opening the gate from the DoorBird app.

If you want CQC and to use your own camera with BlueIris I would recommend a contact closure device and a push button so people can ring you. You can connect all of this to a Global Cache device, which integrates well with CQC via the driver.

Someone pushes the button and then you invoke a CQC action to do something (SMS, Text to Voice, etc.). You can then set up a command button so that when you push it, it closes the contact closure relay which opens or closes your gate.

Happy to help you with this. I did something similar but with my garage door and a Lutron Visor Control Receiver and two magnetic contact closure sensor which allow me to know when the garage door is fully closed or fully opened.

Whatever you do, lay a couple of 1 inch conduits: one from your your gate control box and the other from your pedestal, each to your A/V room or wherever you have your server rack. Also lay another conduit from your gate control box to the pedestal.
If you are planning on using an Elk M1, you should be able to control the gate there with one wire if it is a contact closure device.  I ran 18-2 low voltage wiring from my Elk to the garage door opener and can control it there through CQC.  As GreatAutomation said, probably best to run two conduits with a chaser string in one in case you decide to do something different.  I would figure a Cat6 wire to the camera would work fine for an IP camera, along with power for whatever your camera uses.
most gates a re like a garage door, it just a contact closure for open,stop,close and pedestrian.

Depending on what you have at the gate but a global cahce iTach with three relays minimum would work.

I've done on using the M1 relay outputs.

You wont know the position of the gate though - so some creativity is needed here - reed switch on the open and close position or selecting a motor that has the limits (status) available. Something that indicates Closed, open and Pedestrian (the motor will be using internal limits somehow to know where it is at, it just depends on if it will allow then to be accessible or not).

So you are looking for some sort of small I/O device, maybe tow iTach's, maybe something else (Click PLC). You can always start to add vehicle detection for the times the gate is open but you still want to know if a car is there or not.

I have put in a door station by Akuvox that has a camera that has an RSTP stream so it is part of blue iris. The door station can be triggered by a url (from CQC) to open the door (or gate in your case) and motion detection in BI can pass a command to CQC to do anything we want.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
(06-11-2020, 01:05 PM)znelbok Wrote: You wont know the position of the gate though - so some creativity is needed here - reed switch on the open and close position or selecting a motor that has the limits (status) available. Something that indicates Closed, open and Pedestrian (the motor will be using internal limits somehow to know where it is at, it just depends on if it will allow then to be accessible or not)

I used 2 magnetic contact closures. One in the down position, and the other in the fully opened position. Works great.

The up position took some patience to figure out.

[Image: IMG-2326.jpg]
(06-11-2020, 01:21 PM)gReatAutomation Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 01:05 PM)znelbok Wrote: You wont know the position of the gate though - so some creativity is needed here - reed switch on the open and close position or selecting a motor that has the limits (status) available. Something that indicates Closed, open and Pedestrian (the motor will be using internal limits somehow to know where it is at, it just depends on if it will allow then to be accessible or not)

I used 2 magnetic contact closures. One in the down position, and the other in the fully opened position. Works great.

The up position took some patience to figure out.

[Image: IMG-2326.jpg]

A gate should be a bit easier, especially if it is a sliding gate.  You have a post either side normally and a great spot to mount reed switches.  The first time is always the hardest, but once you have found the solution, its easy from there when you need to do it again.

It was a similar issue for me, instead of putting the close reed on the concrete mines on the top of the door which made install much simpler.

I don't understand why an open limit would be wanted for a garage door as there are two states we are concerned about - closed or not closed (not closed is not the same as opened either, but when do we want to know that the door is fully opened).  I ran through this train of thought years ago and could not come up with a reason as to why I should want to know that the door is open/not open, I just needed closed/not closed.

If anything a position sensor would be more beneficial as we sometimes crack the door about 6 inches to let the breeze come in (and not too many flies) and having the position of the door would mean I could automate this - sort of like the pedestrian mode on a gate
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
OK I appreciate all the input but it makes me think I'm even more in the dark here than I thought.

I've met with a local gate company and they are working on a quote for me. I assume they will offer some base model controller and probably have some more advanced controllers with cellular or app connectivity, camera etc. But I know nothing about those controllers.

I wasn't really thinking a completely roll my own solution although I will have an Elk M1 so the wheels are turning now, lol.

Anyway, I honestly don't know what the advantages of it being integrated with cqc are or what features I'd want. For starters, maybe tied to the security system and Lutron lighting so that opening the gate disarms and unlocks and lights up the house in some welcome mode? Or is that just really poor security... defeat the gate and now you e defeated all your security?

In general I'm trying to avoid having a phone app for garage opener, an app for lighting, another for audio,  one for pool controller, another for irrigation, oven, thermostats, etc etc etc. Avoiding a separate app for gate seems nice but it would rarely be used by us at least in our vehicles. Maybe inside to allow access from a common cqc client?

If there is a camera, having it send video to blue iris to be stored where all other security video is stored would be nice.

If there is a keypad, being able to issue temporary access codes would be nice. Or, record which code was used when to gain access.

Anyway, I didn't want to turn the Elk into an irrigation controller so I'm pairing cqc with a dumb controller like the rain8net to make it smart. I wouldn't want to turn cqc into a thermostat, and I plan to pair it if possible with a pool controller that handles basic functions and routines. On the other hand, I'm going to have Lutron directly control landscape lighting instead of using a dedicated controller so it isn't out of the question that I'd forgo a gate controller completely. Seems like pairing cqc with a pretty dumb controller might be optimal, but often the dumb controllers can't talk to cqc or anything else. Was hoping there might be a known "good" solution there.
The thing I like about having my garage door paired with Elk (and CQC) is that when it is open, I can send a message every ten minutes that either "Garage Door One is Open" or garage door two.  I do the same for a side door on the garage, but every thirty minutes.  CQC (and Elk) just shows me when it is open and closed with a magnetic contact, and it also allows me to open and close it with a relay.  I figure the same could be done for a gate, buy as znelbok stated, you may want to know exactly how far it is open or closed.  I can't tell you how many times I have used the voice announcements on the Elk when the garage door has been opened and I don't know it.  I also programmed F4 on the Elk M2 keypad so it toggles the voice on or off, so during the times when you know the door is going to be open all day, you don't have to hear the messages.
Years ago there was an article / thread (can't remember) on Cocoontech about someone who used a rheostat to track the state of the garage door. Basically they figured out the gearing reduction necessary to rotate the rheostat from zero volts to full voltage tracking along with the state of the garage door. They then used the voltage measurement to "animate" a garage door graphic depicting the progression of the door opening / closing.
(06-12-2020, 06:11 PM)batwater Wrote: Years ago there was an article / thread (can't remember) on Cocoontech about someone who used a rheostat to track the state of the garage door. Basically they figured out the gearing reduction necessary to rotate the rheostat from zero volts to full voltage tracking along with the state of the garage door. They then used the voltage measurement to "animate" a garage door graphic depicting the progression of the door opening / closing.

Yes, it was Bravesirrobbin and the post is here http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/3184-...r-monitor/
Very ingenious method.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CQC Automated Backup Version 2.0 ToyMaster458 25 10,306 05-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Last Post: wuench
  Set up Aprilaire 8870's or buy non-automated controls? SpeedDemon 4 4,311 11-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Last Post: SpeedDemon
  CQC Automated Backup Version 1.0 ToyMaster458 1 1,725 10-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Next Webinar, 3/8, 8:30am PST. Interface Editing/Automated Events IVB 44 8,704 03-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Last Post: jkmonroe