Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermostat options
I guess I need to make a choice for what thermostats to use in our new construction. We have 5 HVAC units. Not all thermostats necessarily have to be the same I guess.

We would like something that looks good. I thought about not having visible traditional thermostats and just trying to control through a cqc touchscreen, but I was nervous about doing that and HVAC contractor was just about a hard no anyway. I guess it would be possible to use some very simple and dumb thermostat and let cqc do all the intelligent stuff but then I'd have not so great looking thermostats to look at I guess.

Options:

Venstar colortouch. The best looking by far IMO of what I see has available drivers. Thoughts?

Nest. Simple and looks nice, dependent on the cloud. Hard for me to know how big of a deal that is. In general I'm not fond of the idea of being cloud dependent, but for a thermostat? Thoughts?

Lutron. I'll have radio ra2 lighting and althought I don't see the lutron/Honeywell controllers listed as having cqc drivers, I'm assuming the lutron lighting device driver would expose that? I don't see the nicer touchscreen Honeywell thermostats shown on the lutron site so I assume those aren't compatible? Not super fond of the ones I do see, but maybe there is a way to use the simplest wall temp controls and let cqc be the brains? Thoughts?

Any other recommendations I should look at? We have Ameristar (Trane) HVAC, high efficiency but only one stage.
I have been using RCS thermostats for 12+ years (Serial Controlled), but wouldn't recommend based on the controller being old school (i.e. dated), although on the plus side still working with no issues.  The things I like are that each theromostat has the ability to have an outside temperature source and also the ability to have a remote sensor that combines the temperatures with the thermostat.  So for example, one zone I have is the Master Bedroom and Office - I am able to have a second sensor in the office along with the thermostat sensor, and it uses that average to control the unit.  With three thermostats, I am able to have three outside temperatures as well - although one is a garage temperature.

As far as usage, I would say 99% of the time, I use the CQC touchscreen or my phone (webRiva) to control the temperatures, along with CQC triggers.  It is nice to have the controller for the things that a driver can't do, which for most of the drivers they don't control everything the thermostat can do.
I have the Lutron Honeywell thermo & am quite happy with it. I do remote control from CQC. I am going to replace two other thermos in the house and am planning for the slimmer seeTemp control with separate HVAC controller.

seeTemp

HVAC controller

Powr Savr temp sensor
Mark Stega
+100 on the Lutron. The only thing I do not like about the Lutron RadioRA2 tstat is the fan control. On my previous Honeywell tstat, I could set the fan to "circulate" mode and it would come on for a period of time, then turn off, and continue this while in circulate mode.

[Image: Screen-Shot-2020-05-24-at-10-15-35.jpg]
Just my overly obsessive self, bit if you put another contrast line at the top of the top section, it would look nice and complete the 'raised panel' effect you have going there.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Ha. Good point.
And you could use cqc to automate the 'circulate' feature doing something like fan on for 10 minutes, off for 5...
Mark Stega
(05-24-2020, 08:54 AM)Mark Stega Wrote: And you could use cqc to automate the 'circulate' feature doing something like fan on for 10 minutes, off for 5...

Ugh, good point. I'll have to add that to my TODO list as I will have to figure out how to do this effectively.
Using the timed field change command is probably the best way to do that sort of thing as usual. It will automatically cancel if you write anything else to the field, else it will put back the original value when the time expires.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
(05-24-2020, 11:55 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: Using the timed field change command is probably the best way to do that sort of thing as usual. It will automatically cancel if you write anything else to the field, else it will put back the original value when the time expires.

I think I can use a combo of TimedFldChange and pausing/resuming a scheduled event.

I could define a scheduled event that would run every 15 minutes. Inside of which would be the action that would be a TimedFldChange writing "On" to the Lutron thermostat fan field, waiting 5 minutes, then going back to Auto (i.e., only coming on with the A/C).

The default state of the scheduled event would be Paused.

I can use a Variable in the Variables driver to track the state of the circulate "mode."

On my field checkbox button, when pressed, I would resume the scheduled event. When pressed again, it would pause the event CancelTimedFldChange.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pop Up box with options - possible??? George M 6 2,853 01-25-2017, 07:01 PM
Last Post: George M
  Which Thermostat with CQC? Deane Johnson 69 12,878 07-15-2016, 07:45 AM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  what touchscreen options if starting out today? capall 64 15,162 02-19-2016, 04:34 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  Serial Terminal options? IVB 21 6,324 01-24-2016, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Modifying autogen thermostat setup for RCS royalj7 5 2,310 09-18-2015, 01:34 PM
  Windows 8.1 tablet options, February 2014 Mark Stega 38 12,610 11-12-2014, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Bal
  Thermostat Interface - Gestures jokermac 8 3,802 08-05-2014, 09:40 AM
Last Post: dgage
  AV Receiver Options brathnach 13 4,178 12-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Last Post: wuench
  RCS thermostat interface pinballmark 3 2,700 06-05-2013, 06:25 PM
  SiriusXM Options DaveB 14 3,336 12-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Last Post: DaveB