Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RainMachine Sprinkler Irrigation Controller Driver
(03-15-2020, 09:23 PM)kblagron Wrote: How does your Rain Sensor Work?  I have thought about one, but with the abundance of pine trees in the area, I had read where they may not be too reliable, but that was some time back?  Any models you would recommend?

This is the one I have on my RainMachine. Great for summer popup Thunderstorms that get missed by the weather forecast but not a necessary for the normal person with a RainMachine(but again those reading this are clearly not normal).

I am sure there are much better ones as it is 10 years old and still going strong.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBOQ7M/
(03-15-2020, 09:23 PM)kblagron Wrote: How does your Rain Sensor Work?  I have thought about one, but with the abundance of pine trees in the area, I had read where they may not be too reliable, but that was some time back?  Any models you would recommend?

Mine is wireless and the actual sensor is on the gutter directly above the photo. I do not have trees so it's not an issue. For folks with trees, these sensors are troublesome.

Depending on your house and set up you could always install a wired sensor in an open area and then use direct burial wire to connect it to your RainMachine.
I have almost completed another update that adds (at least for now) all of the things I want in the RainMachine Driver.  The one thing I wanted to do, just so it eliminates confusion, is to separate the Master Valve from the Zones (Which I wish RainMachine did already).  I don't think GreatAutomation and Kfly have a master valve, so it may not be a big deal for you, and I don't have one either, but someone may have one down the road.  

What I wanted to do was create fields for a Master Valve if one is on a user's system - MasterValve_Active, MasterValve_Duration, and MasterValve_State fields.  This will get these totally divorced from the Zone fields.  It would clean up a good bit of code, and allow your Zone #'s to match up properly with this driver.

Let me know what you think?

As far as the changes I did to this version:

• Added a Program_X_State field which allows you to know which programs are running and in queue.  The field will have:  0 - Not Running, 1 - Queued, 2 - Running, same as the Zone State Field now.
  • Added a Program_X_NextRunFlag? Field that will tell you whether the next planned runs are restricted or not.  It will give you a short description on restrictions based on weather and rain conditions, or User restrictions such as Snooze.
  • Added a Program Stop and Zone Stop Command within the SprinklerCtrl Field.  Allows you to stop individual Programs and Zones.
  • Added Try/Catch code for all of the Subroutines/Methods so that a better error message will be displayed if an error is encountered.
(03-23-2020, 02:28 PM)kblagron Wrote: I have almost completed another update that adds (at least for now) all of the things I want in the RainMachine Driver.  The one thing I wanted to do, just so it eliminates confusion, is to separate the Master Valve from the Zones (Which I wish RainMachine did already).  I don't think GreatAutomation and Kfly have a master valve, so it may not be a big deal for you, and I don't have one either, but someone may have one down the road.  

I have a master valve. The HD and PRO units JSON return was a little different as far as I remember.. So make your changes and we can test. Since I only do read-only I can change my template to match. 
Thanks again
Kevin
Updated the RainMachine Driver and Help File in Post #1 with the following enhancements/changes:

• Added a Program_X_State field which allows you to know which programs are running and in queue.  The field will have:  0 - Not Running, 1 - Queued, 2 - Running, same as the Zone State Field now.
  • Added a Program_X_NextRunFlag? Field that will tell you whether the next planned runs are restricted or not.  It will give you a short description on restrictions based on weather and rain conditions, or User restrictions such as Snooze.
  • Added a Program Stop and Zone Stop Command within the SprinklerCtrl Field.  Allows you to stop individual Programs and Zones.
  • Added Try/Catch code for all of the Subroutines/Methods so that a better error message will be displayed if an error is encountered.
  • Changed the way the MasterValve is handled.  Before, if enabled, it would show up as Zone 1.  It now has its own fields (MasterValve_Active & MasterValve_State) and eliminates Use_MasterValve, as the MasterValve_Active does the same function.  The MasterValve_State shows two values: 0 - Closed, and 1 - Open.
I attached a screenshot of my Status screen.  In the future events box, it shows how the NextRun flag field (just below the watering time) shows anything related to the planned program.  In this case it shows "Normal Watering" but could show other items related to restrictions.

Regards,
Blake

Attached Files
.jpg   Screenshot.jpg (Size: 272.19 KB / Downloads: 9)
(03-23-2020, 08:34 PM)kblagron Wrote: Updated the RainMachine Driver and Help File in Post #1 with the following enhancements/changes:
Regards,
Blake

Awesome Sauce Blake.
Thanks for sorting out the Master Valve deal... and adding the MasterValve_Active/State.  both Zone 1's match so that is good.
Tested the new driver on my TouchHD and Pro Rainmachine models and it looks great. Had snow yesterday so my testing was limited Smile.

I think we still get a few stupid  JSON parsing issues(due to my poor coding skills) around midnight. Will keep an eye out and report but don't think anyone is going to complain if the driver is offline for a minute after midnight. Unless you are in Alaska on the summer Solstice.
Thanks again
Kevin
Haven't seen any parsing issues, but decided not to show the 7th weather day on my interface since that goes away at midnight for about 10 or 15 minutes.

I am getting a few errors that are random:

1) error message on a timeout when accessing the program data (It returns nothing) which I figure may be network related, or the RM is busy handling another request at that time.  
2) error message on a timeout with the error being HTTP cleint request failed (which may be the same type thing, but different error message)

It is so random and nothing else is going on with the RM, it might be hard to track down.  The driver just re-initializes and all is back to normal.  I will keep an eye on it.

It's worked well for me over the last few weeks - my only complaint would be not totally understanding how it computes the watering times.  After I had it in Snooze mode for the winter, I turned off the snooze and got this "Water Surplus" flag where it wasn't watering anything.  The RM forum said to adjust Field Capacity and Weather Sensitivity, which didn't fix it.  I finally made RM forget the past weather, and it started showing about 1/2 of the planned watering times which seems correct for March in Houston.  But this weekend, we had about 2 inches of rain that the NOAA showed also, and RM is still planning on watering on Wednesday, and trust me, it is soggy out there.  So I can tell this is going to be a learning experience on using the RM Algorithms and getting it to water correctly (or should I say the way I think it should water).
I rebooted the RainMachine, and all the error messages went away so far, so if you're seeing any, you may give that a try.  I have taxed the device the last week testing the driver, and that may have been part of the issue.  In the last 4 hours since I did that, no errors, prior to that I was getting a couple an hour.

We may even want to consider putting that option in the driver, as there is a PUT command to do that.
(03-24-2020, 08:53 PM)kblagron Wrote: I rebooted the RainMachine, and all the error messages went away so far, so if you're seeing any, you may give that a try.  I have taxed the device the last week testing the driver, and that may have been part of the issue.  In the last 4 hours since I did that, no errors, prior to that I was getting a couple an hour.

We may even want to consider putting that option in the driver, as there is a PUT command to do that.

No need.  Only HTTP error I got since loading the new 1.94 driver was last night when a lot of my driver reloaded(issue for another day).
These error are not operational impacting and good information for a log file(missing a poll).

No need to be a Perfectionist. Driver works great.
Let'er Rip Tater Chip... Isn't that what they say in Texas Smile.

Kevin
I spoke too soon.  I think I mentioned I had knee replacement surgery about 7 weeks ago, so waking up early with a dull ache in my leg is pretty common in my recovery - anyway, got up about 5am, pulled up CQC and low and behold was getting numerous RainMachine errors and restarts.  I finally tracked it down to this:

The WeatherConditionicon was coming in as a Null value, but that wasn't included in the Enum list, so it was failing.  I added code to catch this, and also any other values that don't fall between 0 and 25.  If it does, it is now assigned to Icon # 25 / z, which is an N/A icon.

Still need to work on the Log messages during an error, because it not descriptive enough to easily track down the error.

I put the new driver pack in the first message.

On a side note regarding your comment about Texas, and this story still makes me chuckle, back in the day (which was 1981) I was a senior in college and we decided to hit spring break in Ft. Lauderdale.  I grew up in Corpus Christi, which is a beach town, so never really fit the mold most people think of when they here I am from Texas.  So we had 6 people staying in this 2 bedroom condo, complete with beach view and a keg of beer.  In the condo next door, in rolls 4 guys from Boston, these guys had the full Boston accent.  What was so funny about it was this was when the movie Urban Cowboy was all the rage, and these Boston guys show up in Hats, boots, jeans, and western belt buckle.  They were shocked that none of us Texans had boots or hats, nor did we own them.  I wished I had taken a picture of them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sage Media Server driver (beta) Fonceur 698 275,036 07-26-2020, 04:59 PM
Last Post: sic0048
  Russound MCA-66 on TCP driver lapointe.sc@gmail.com 5 730 05-24-2020, 06:23 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Samsung SmartTV Driver George M 0 242 05-20-2020, 09:04 AM
Last Post: George M
  OpenWeatherMap Weather Driver Using OneCall API kblagron 11 1,185 05-18-2020, 04:09 AM
Last Post: dlmorgan999
  Tesla Driver Driver kfly 10 1,629 05-08-2020, 08:49 AM
  JVC D-ILA Driver jokermac 34 6,541 04-13-2020, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Mark Stega
  Generic Irrigation Scheduler jkish 577 244,667 03-12-2020, 12:25 PM
  LIFX Driver bobskie708 15 7,081 01-05-2020, 11:00 AM
Last Post: simplextech
  Universal Devices ISY Insteon Driver wuench 369 182,987 12-28-2019, 05:15 PM
Last Post: simplextech
  RunTimer2 driver rbroders 18 8,699 10-17-2019, 04:38 PM