Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Homie IoT Convention
https://homieiot.github.io/

What's the chance of updating the MQTT driver to have discovery/support for the Homie Convention?  It's one of the few MQTT "standards" that is being adopted by several projects and would really extend the MQTT functionality.

I of course do NOT want to remove the raw flexibility of the current MQTT... simply adding to the capabilities/options Smile
Interesting. I'm all for adding to CQC and discovery will make it simpler for those who struggle with the current config file for MQTT.

Also need to have MQTT be the default standard for all IoT devices - but thats a harder barrow to push
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
(02-02-2020, 01:44 PM)znelbok Wrote: Interesting.  I'm all for adding to CQC and discovery will make it simpler for those who struggle with the current config file for MQTT.

Also need to have MQTT be the default standard for all IoT devices - but thats a harder barrow to push

I stumbled across the Homie convention as I noticed several projects mentioning it.  Home Assistant has their own discovery mechanism that they are pushing although it's mostly a one way setup.  However HASS also support Homie and OpenHAB is supporting Homie and there's an interesting new MQTT client for Hubitat which is supporting Homie and I saw a project to integrate the ISY with MQTT using the Homie convention.  It's a relatively new project but it does provide standard using MQTT that if project follow it will bring some consensus of device presentation to MQTT and side effect makes it possible to then discover devices from MQTT.

I'm a big proponent of MQTT and I'm following the Zwave2Mqtt progress as well as the zigbee2mqtt.  So far the zwave2mqtt works well by itself and with Home Assistant.  I would like to make more use of MQTT with devices not just sensors with CQC.  

The big issue with CQC's MQTT currently is not supporting a dual topic for devices.  Single topic is fine for sensors but for devices 99% of the time there needs to be a /set or /cmd appended to the end of a device or command topic.