Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm stuck....
What now.... I'm stuck in a position of what next?

I want to move to CQC to control everything but I can't because the ISY driver is not complete so I can't actually migrate my ISY programs into CQC logic.  I'm currently worried about longevity of CQC as well as this forum is abysmally quiet.  Dean has always provided excellent support for CQC but is currently devoted to the Linux port which means other issues aren't going to be addressed anytime soon. 

So what's the options.  Do a wait and see?  I have plans to migrate to Radio RA2 but I'm not rich so doing that will take time and I have to have a functioning system between now and then.  I already own HomeSeer so I could go back to using that and then I have the option to use the ISY plugin which is 'ok' but still not complete or I can use direct PLM Insteon which is actually just as good as the ISY.  I left HomeSeer already due to their directional changes and I don't want to go back to that hot mess.

I really don't want to go to Home Assistant as a solution but at least there the ISY component is working which would allow me to keep the system running and offload the processing that the ISY can't handle.  That would buy me time but it's a lot of effort to migrate there and then do yet another migration and testing of things if/when CQC is capable.

I want to buy CQC but so far things aren't working for me which makes it a very hard sell.
Does anyone know the state of the Insteon PLM driver? If that works I can go direct PLM for my devices during the migration phase.... other ideas options?
What is PLM Insteon...is it another hub to use?
tia, Ron

My HT equipment I want to control by CQC (some day hopefully)
Yamaha CX-A5100, Dune HD pro 4k, Dune HD Pro 4k plus, ISY 994i, Samsung 4k FP, and a projector in the future
(01-24-2020, 02:20 PM)ellisr63 Wrote: What is PLM Insteon...is it another hub to use?

PLM = Power Line Modem

If you have the Insteon Hub you won't have a PLM.  If you have an ISY then you have a PLM.  The box that plugs into the wall that the ISY then connects to.  

There's a driver listed that uses the Insteon PLM directly without needing the ISY which is how some other platforms do it as well.  Yet when I looked it seems to have a dependency on HouseLinc which is no longer supported by SmartHome.  So that idea is SOL.....

I've managed a couple of work arounds using ISY Network Resources and the CQC HTTP-Trigger driver and the CQC Variable driver to set  variables from the ISY for the devices not currently supported in the ISY driver.  This way I can react and also issue back commands via HTTP to the ISY to turn on/off those devices or Scenes.  Kinda hokey but it works Smile
Did you try loading the V1 ISY driver to see if that could meet your Insteon interfacing needs?
(01-24-2020, 02:54 PM)batwater Wrote: Did you try loading the V1 ISY driver to see if that could meet your Insteon interfacing needs?

Yeah I did load it up and it does cover most things.  It also was missing a couple of things.  Since I'm new with CQC it was recommended to use the V2 driver as it is supported and Dean has added devices for me as he has time which I'm great full for.  Also the V2 gives me the autogen rooms so I can have samples to play with for IV templates.
I use to use the direct to PLM driver several years back... Like 5+ years I bet.  From what I recall it worked fine but may have had a few issues around getting out of sync from time to time. Link management was a bit manual too, a text file or something like that.  Everyone seemed to be on ISY and was recommended back then as the way to do Insteon with CQC. I don't think the PLM driver has seen many updates for a long time.  You would have to try it to see but sorry to say I suspect you'll be disappointed. 

I'm trying to understand the part about the driver not being complete.  I use it and it works really well with all my devices.  That said I have not added many new devices recently other than a water sensor which Dean made updates to almost instantly when I asked.  Is it that you are trying to get to your other logic in the ISY?  If so then yeah I guess it probably doesn't do that.  I think the original intent of the ISY CQC driver was just to do lights for the most part.

Sorry to hear you're stuck though, that sucks.   I use workarounds to get things to work as well sometimes, with many HA things that seems to be the only way.  I wish there was just one protocol / standard to rule them all so to speak.  

Something to consider if you do like CQC and it's just the ISY thing holding you back.  I've paid Dean in past to do a little custom work on a driver and that was a service offered in the past.  You can always PM him and see if you throw some funds his way if he could change the priority or do something quick and dirty to tide you over too. May not be possible in this case, but just FYI.  I find for what CQC does it's good value and am personally OK with paying for custom stuff when I want to push something past where the standard use cases end if the value is there for me.
(01-24-2020, 04:08 PM)Shaky Wrote: I use to use the direct to PLM driver several years back... Like 5+ years I bet.  From what I recall it worked fine but may have had a few issues around getting out of sync from time to time. Link management was a bit manual too, a text file or something like that.  Everyone seemed to be on ISY and was recommended back then as the way to do Insteon with CQC. I don't think the PLM driver has seen many updates for a long time.  You would have to try it to see but sorry to say I suspect you'll be disappointed. 

I'm trying to understand the part about the driver not being complete.  I use it and it works really well with all my devices.  That said I have not added many new devices recently other than a water sensor which Dean made updates to almost instantly when I asked.  Is it that you are trying to get to your other logic in the ISY?  If so then yeah I guess it probably doesn't do that.  I think the original intent of the ISY CQC driver was just to do lights for the most part.

Sorry to hear you're stuck though, that sucks.   I use workarounds to get things to work as well sometimes, with many HA things that seems to be the only way.  I wish there was just one protocol / standard to rule them all so to speak.  

Something to consider if you do like CQC and it's just the ISY thing holding you back.  I've paid Dean in past to do a little custom work on a driver and that was a service offered in the past.  You can always PM him and see if you throw some funds his way if he could change the priority or do something quick and dirty to tide you over too. May not be possible in this case, but just FYI.  I find for what CQC does it's good value and am personally OK with paying for custom stuff when I want to push something past where the standard use cases end if the value is there for me.

I really didn't expect the PLM driver to be updated as HouseLinc is now unsupported.  

The current v2 being incomplete is from
- No Scene support
- IOLinc's aren't support (sensor/relay)
- Leak Sensors are not present but I don't really care as they are questionable in working anyways (new models)

Main items that I needed were the scene and IOlinc but I've worked around it with doing Network Resources from the ISY to set a variable in CQC and then using a HTTPGet macro to turn on/off the scene in the ISY.  This will work for now.

For the most part workaround tends to just the way it is with Home Automation.  The suppose at the level of CQC ISY isn't high on the list of users but it is a built in driver so I somewhat expected scenes at least to be supported as those are pretty major part of Insteon.  I'm not too worried as I have future plans to migrate a good portion of things to RA2 it will just take me time.  I'm more than OK paying for things that I need or want.
So I do not need to use the ISY 994i... I can just use the PLM?
tia, Ron

My HT equipment I want to control by CQC (some day hopefully)
Yamaha CX-A5100, Dune HD pro 4k, Dune HD Pro 4k plus, ISY 994i, Samsung 4k FP, and a projector in the future
(01-24-2020, 08:50 PM)ellisr63 Wrote: So I do not need to use the ISY 994i... I can just use the PLM?

In what scenario?  From what I've been testing the best option with is using the included ISY driver.  Both of them work.  The v2 is updated and is only missing a couple of device types which can be worked around.

The Insteon PLM driver is still there but I don't know how functional it would be and if you already have an ISY then use it as it provides better configuration of the devices than the old HouseLinc software from SmartHome which is also discontinued.