Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Z-Wave dual usb stick setup
Considering the dual z-wave usb stick setup of a primary/secondary setup for a single system (CQC) is kinda unique.  I'm looking for some info from CQC on a best practice.  Is it recommended/preferred to run both USB sticks connected to the same server?  Or to have another machine powering the "primary" Z-Wave Controller and PC Controller and only have the "secondary" connected to the CQC server?

Since the CQC Z-Wave driver acts in a secondary mode are there limitations to having multiple z-wave drivers using different z-wave interfaces?  I ask this to see if anyone has tried or used a ser2net or serial over IP connection from a remote server back to the CQC server for Z-Wave functions.

Anywho I'm looking to add Z-Wave back to my server as I installed a new SSD last night and reloaded CQC and I wanted to get the idea around best practice with the Z-Wave Driver considering it's based around a secondary controller setup but uses USB sticks which "can" be on the same server but may not be recommended?
I have them both (Aeotec and Leviton Vizia) plugged in to the same server, no issues. Once you add the devices you want with the Leviton stick and then include them in to CQC you can remove the Leviton stick.
(01-20-2020, 12:31 PM)gReatAutomation Wrote: I have them both (Aeotec and Leviton Vizia) plugged in to the same server, no issues. Once you add the devices you want with the Leviton stick and then include them in to CQC you can remove the Leviton stick.

Glad to hear that hasn't been a problem.  I was running like that and now running on a my workstation.  Just had a thought which is nice that I could use the in my case a UZB but the Leviton on a laptop to do mobile includes which is nice.
highly recommend against walking around with a laptop and Leviton stick for inclusion. Will cause you numerous issues. The sticks need to be installed in the same place, angle and direction from when you did the inclusion.

Better to RDP from your laptop in to the server where CQC and Vizia software are installed. Then you can walk round and do the inclusions because you are not walking around with the stick.
(01-20-2020, 01:03 PM)gReatAutomation Wrote: highly recommend against walking around with a laptop and Leviton stick for inclusion. Will cause you numerous issues. The sticks need to be installed in the same place, angle and direction from when you did the inclusion.

Better to RDP from your laptop in to the server where CQC and Vizia software are installed. Then you can walk round and do the inclusions because you are not walking around with the stick.

Actually that's not correct.  Z-Wave is a mesh network and can perform routing updates.  You can manually initiate this from the master controller or Z-Wave Plus will send out explorer packets to update neighbors on the fly.  This however requires devices to be ZWP and can cause initial communication failures while it's "exploring" trying to update node routes.  ZigBee on the other hand is a crap shoot of if/when it will update routing.

I know I'm asking a lot of CQC questions but I'm really not new to Home Automation just new to CQC.  Also trying to start conversations on a mostly dead forum.
It's OK, to walk around with the master if it's just for inclusion/exclusiion. Any of them that are going to be talking to modules as a regular controller need to be left in place and not moved around. When modules are added to the network, they will find their neighbors in the network. That happens when you add them using the master so it doesn't matter where the master is if you are using a secondary for the actual control (as we do.)

However, unless something has changed in recent years, modules don't do any automatic re-evaluation of their location in the network after they are added unless you force them to do that. So, if you are going to move a module, you should remove it, and re-add it in its new location so that it'll find it's new neighbors, or use a master that lets you force it to update (or run the 'network recovery' type thing which some masters support.) Much more so for secondary controllers like the one CQC uses.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I never had any luck with it and was spending way too much time on it. Glad you have different results
(01-20-2020, 01:21 PM)gReatAutomation Wrote: I never had any luck with it and was spending way too much time on it. Glad you have different results

It also depends on controller too... Some hub systems really suck and don't work right.  There are some z-wave plus devices out there that are labeled Plus but should never have past certification because they don't support the full feature set per specification of "Plus".  There's also some that are labeled plus and never went through certification and the supplier just labeled them to sell them.  

It's actually funny that I've heard the worst complaints about things from hub users with Aspire (Eaton) and Leviton Z-Wave devices.  Z-Wave sensors on the other hand are problematic with the roaming inclusion because of their wake-up period.  Those I agree should be included in-place and static so they setup their routes from the beginning otherwise they will be a problem.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Z-Wave Device List simplextech 2 910 02-01-2020, 07:24 AM
Last Post: simplextech
  Z-Wave Device Support simplextech 6 1,805 01-06-2020, 02:24 PM
  [REQUEST] Z-Wave Devices simplextech 2 909 01-05-2020, 07:31 PM
  Z-Wave include fails with security simplextech 15 2,688 01-04-2020, 06:18 PM
  New Z-Wave driver preview Dean Roddey 162 35,886 08-02-2019, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  New z-wave Ron Haley 4 1,085 06-25-2019, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Ron Haley
  A failure occurred while doing basic program setup Shaky 3 1,213 03-21-2019, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Shaky
  How to update the new zwave stick/driver? ghurty 5 1,883 11-22-2018, 06:56 PM
  CQC Voice setup IVB 4 1,855 06-02-2018, 09:34 AM
  IFTT and HTTP Trigger parameter passing setup Shaky 5 3,943 03-09-2018, 10:20 PM