Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Media Repository
I think we're at a crossroads of problems for Media Repositories.

CQSL Repo doesn't have a means to import an existing music or movie library?  Not that I've found and I don't want to use CQSL Media manager nor do most for their media as they already have methods of ripping and encoding, processing before presenting it.

CQSL File Tag is good for Music only against a NAS share or similar

DVD Profiler, My Movies are great 10+ years ago when a DVD changer was high end and primary use for automation.  Nobody use these anymore and Media is ripped and streamed and those streaming systems are also the repository like Plex, Kodi, J.River Media Center, Dune, Zippati, Zidoo

Of current Repositories J.River and Plex have the most use and promise.  Problem is the driver only provide Music integration and not movies.  This leads to a problem of needing 2 drivers and another 3rd party software (added cost) into the mix when most deployments today already have Plex and or JMC or similar.  If not they can deploy Plex.. it's free and easy.

Kodi is the current HOT TOPIC media manager and there's no driver for it?  It has a open API and integrate and is actually the BASE used for other players.

So what is the current "recommendation" for interacting and integrating media with CQC?  JMC and Plex drivers already exist and both support Movies and Music so it's logical to extend existing drivers to provide FULL Media Repository capabilities to each.  JMC and Plex both have Web API's and have integration touch points even for automation and control.
There is also SubSonic which is pretty amazing given its light weight.
DVD Profiler and MyMovies are mostly oriented towards ripped content actually. They can probably support changers but if that's all they did, they wouldn't still be here.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
(01-09-2020, 01:34 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: DVD Profiler and MyMovies are mostly oriented towards ripped content actually. They can probably support changers but if that's all they did, they wouldn't still be here.

So which has the best Driver integration and support?  If I have to purchase another software I want to know which will be the best supported and full featured Smile

Back to the original topic though if there's already a driver for JMC and Plex why not expand them to include Movies?  Music is already there.  I know this is not a priority currently as there are more important things to work on.  Yet they are important for the HT integration to a HA project.
(01-09-2020, 01:34 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: DVD Profiler and MyMovies are mostly oriented towards ripped content actually. They can probably support changers but if that's all they did, they wouldn't still be here.

Both PLEX and SubSonic (http://www.subsonic.org/pages/features.jsp) support ripped content. For PLEX and iTunes rentals/purchases, you first have to run them through TunesKit, then add to PLEX.
(01-09-2020, 02:35 PM)gReatAutomation Wrote:

Both PLEX and SubSonic (http://www.subsonic.org/pages/features.jsp) support ripped content. For PLEX and iTunes rentals/purchases, you first have to run them through TunesKit, then add to PLEX.

Is SubSonic mostly for music? 

If the current media repo's handle music I need a better one for Video.  Since JMC already has music it would be nice to expand the driver to support Movies.  Same for Plex even.  I don't get these "half-done" drivers?
(01-09-2020, 03:14 PM)simplextech Wrote:

If the current media repo's handle music I need a better one for Video.  Since JMC already has music it would be nice to expand the driver to support Movies.  Same for Plex even.  I don't get these "half-done" drivers?

Check out the link I posted.

Works with all media formats
  • Supports MP3, OGG, AAC and any other audio or video format that streams over HTTP.

• Transcoding engine allows for streaming of a variety of lossy and lossless formats by converting to MP3 on-the-fly.

• Works with any network-enabled media player, such as Winamp, iTunes, XMMS, VLC, MusicMatch and Windows Media Player. Also includes an embedded Flash player.

• Tag parsing and editing of MP3, AAC, OGG, FLAC, WMA and APE files, using the Jaudiotagger library.
  • Playlists can be imported and exported. M3U, PLS and XSPF formats are supported. Saved playlists are available as Podcasts.

• On-the-fly resampling to lower bitrates using the high-quality ffmpeg encoder. Handy if your bandwidth is limited.

• Implements the SHOUTcast protocol. Players which support this (including Winamp, iTunes and XMMS) display the current artist and song, along with other metadata.

• HLS video streaming supported.
(01-09-2020, 03:28 PM)gReatAutomation Wrote:
(01-09-2020, 03:14 PM)simplextech Wrote:

Check out the link I posted.

Works with all media formats
  • Supports MP3, OGG, AAC and any other audio or video format that streams over HTTP.

• Transcoding engine allows for streaming of a variety of lossy and lossless formats by converting to MP3 on-the-fly.

• Works with any network-enabled media player, such as Winamp, iTunes, XMMS, VLC, MusicMatch and Windows Media Player. Also includes an embedded Flash player.

• Tag parsing and editing of MP3, AAC, OGG, FLAC, WMA and APE files, using the Jaudiotagger library.
  • Playlists can be imported and exported. M3U, PLS and XSPF formats are supported. Saved playlists are available as Podcasts.

• On-the-fly resampling to lower bitrates using the high-quality ffmpeg encoder. Handy if your bandwidth is limited.

• Implements the SHOUTcast protocol. Players which support this (including Winamp, iTunes and XMMS) display the current artist and song, along with other metadata.

• HLS video streaming supported.

That's all Audio support not Video.  So Subsonic has a focus on Music but not Video.  I thought the issue here was not having Video/Movie support from any of the existing Media Repositories?  So far JMC and Plex provide Music/Audio media support but not Movies.
And any other audio or video format that streams over HTTP

It supports video
(01-09-2020, 06:40 PM)gReatAutomation Wrote: And any other audio or video format that streams over HTTP

It supports video

Went back and read it closer.  I see that.  I haven't installed/used it yet.  How well does it manage video?  Similar to Plex with pulling in Movie DB information etc?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't rip any cd's to CQC repository tom 16 568 02-05-2020, 10:45 AM
Last Post: ellisr63
  Media playing from Event simplextech 11 484 01-07-2020, 06:09 PM
Last Post: simplextech
  SubSonic Media Server API Support? gReatAutomation 4 658 06-16-2019, 02:45 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  File Tag Repository and .M4A Files kblagron 10 1,860 11-18-2018, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  install component for Repository Manager rbroders 1 1,082 02-18-2018, 10:05 AM
  Updated to V2 media drivers tom 8 2,643 11-26-2017, 11:10 AM
  Logitech Media Server/squeezebox driver freezes Admin interface lleo 7 4,284 10-21-2017, 11:11 AM
  SOLVED: Media System Config Issue agarden 3 2,655 04-29-2017, 07:25 AM
Last Post: agarden
  Plex Repository and Docker potts.mike 2 1,930 04-27-2017, 01:38 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Tip O' The Day : Searching for Media Dean Roddey 26 7,904 11-22-2016, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Ron Haley