Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[FEATURE] Event Run Action
Would it be possible to add a right-click option to Events with a 'Run Action' for the Event?  This would make it much easier to test Event Actions and simulate them without the need for a working trigger or having to walk around to a motion detector to trigger it and check if things worked Smile
(01-09-2020, 09:34 AM)simplextech Wrote: Would it be possible to add a right-click option to Events with a 'Run Action' for the Event?  This would make it much easier to test Event Actions and simulate them without the need for a working trigger or having to walk around to a motion detector to trigger it and check if things worked Smile
What I do is paste the action from the triggered event into a scheduled event, then test it there.  Set it up for 1 day, as a one time trigger will delete after running once.  I created a subfolder under Scheduled Triggers called "test", and store them there.  You can leave these disabled, and they won't actually run unless you enable them, or test them.

Usually I get the trigger working in the scheduled event first, and then once I know it works, paste it over to the triggered event.
(01-09-2020, 09:51 AM)kblagron Wrote:
(01-09-2020, 09:34 AM)simplextech Wrote: Would it be possible to add a right-click option to Events with a 'Run Action' for the Event?  This would make it much easier to test Event Actions and simulate them without the need for a working trigger or having to walk around to a motion detector to trigger it and check if things worked Smile
What I do is paste the action from the triggered event into a scheduled event, then test it there.  Set it up for 1 day, as a one time trigger will delete after running once.  I created a subfolder under Scheduled Triggers called "test", and store them there.  You can leave these disabled, and they won't actually run unless you enable them, or test them.

Usually I get the trigger working in the scheduled event first, and then once I know it works, paste it over to the triggered event.

I had been testing in the GlobalAct area which has a nice Run function for testing.  I did not think to try and do a copy/paste from the Event action editor and paste it into the GlobalAct editor.  I just tried it and it works.  

Although I still think this would be a "nice" feature there is a work around already.  Thanks for the idea @kblagron around the copy/paste.
You can test scheduled events. But the problem with triggered events is that they often depend on the incoming trigger, which won't exist. There would have to be some sort of way of generating fake trigger data, which would be kind of messy.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
(01-09-2020, 01:32 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: You can test scheduled events. But the problem with triggered events is that they often depend on the incoming trigger, which won't exist. There would have to be some sort of way of generating fake trigger data, which would be kind of messy.

For complex triggers and data that is true.  Yet the majority of triggered events are probably simple triggers which wouldn't require any messy simulated trigger data.  Just the ability to run the action without the "if" part of the statement.  Now that I tested that I can just copy paste the whole action into the GlobalActs to run there that will suffice but it would be a nice feature that would I think account for the majority of triggered events for testing.  There's always going to be those that are too complex for simulated testing.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Action wait and exit if variable changes simplextech 8 302 02-01-2020, 12:35 PM
Last Post: simplextech
  Media playing from Event simplextech 11 491 01-07-2020, 06:09 PM
Last Post: simplextech
  Triggered Event on Timer Question znelbok 7 440 12-09-2019, 02:10 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Triggered Event and Standard Triggers gReatAutomation 5 447 08-23-2019, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  LogicServer Elapsed Time and Triggered Event gReatAutomation 6 457 08-17-2019, 07:53 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Use UI to alter scheduled event time IVB 1 278 07-09-2019, 08:42 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Event Order ... rbroders 24 2,126 01-12-2019, 02:51 PM
  Can't Find a Couple of Documented Action Commands kblagron 7 1,931 10-02-2018, 05:47 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  Triggered Event Server not triggering EST 52 9,120 08-10-2018, 11:23 AM
  Triggered Event Questions RichardU 3 1,402 07-14-2018, 03:53 PM