Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dune HD 4k Players
Generaly questions if anyone can help.  I'm going to go check the AVForums too but I'm also interested in the CQC integration.

How well do Dune players playback raw BD data structures and Menu?
How about good'ol DVD structure/menu playback?

The newer Dune players are Android based so do they have apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Youtube?  Essentially can a new Dune replace my Roku 4k boxes or FireTV boxes?
I've not used mine heavily, I was just trying to get something set up to test with. I have it playing straight BD and DVD rips from a server and it's not given me any issues. I don't think I have any 4K blu-rays though. Obviously you need to plan for enough network oomph to be pulling multiple streams of raw BD data from a server. Plex you definitely have to be careful of since it will often do transcoding on the server and can bring it to its knees. In theory it can just stream and not transcode if the source and target playback unit are compatible but I never have gotten it to do that. Again though I've not used it hard, just set it up to play around with and test with some. It's way too heavy duty for my little Intel NUC to handle if it's transcoding.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
(01-08-2020, 02:04 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: I've not used mine heavily, I was just trying to get something set up to test with. I have it playing straight BD and DVD rips from a server and it's not given me any issues. I don't think I have any 4K blu-rays though. Obviously you need to plan for enough network oomph to be pulling multiple streams of raw BD data from a server. Plex you definitely have to be careful of since it will often do transcoding on the server and can bring it to its knees. In theory it can just stream and not transcode if the source and target playback unit are compatible but I never have gotten it to do that. Again though I've not used it hard, just set it up to play around with and test with some. It's way too heavy duty for my little Intel NUC to handle if it's transcoding.

I limit the number of players that are pulling from my Plex server.  I do have it running in a docker container on my unRAID server which is nice and that box can handle the normal streams but I don't have the GPU's for offloading to do heavy transcoding to clients if needed... so I limit the clients.  

Now with more and more BD and having plenty of storage I want to do just disc dumps and Dune looks good for playback so does J.River which I'll be testing soon.  However I know J.River doesn't do Netflix or Amazon playback which is stupid because it could via the browser.  But I'm hoping Dune can and if so then I can get rid of the Roku and Plex.  

I only have 1 4K BD as I don't currently have a 4K UHD TV as why upgrade when there's not much media... now there's more coming available so I may have to look into that upgrade in the coming year... fun... but I want a player that works first.
(01-08-2020, 02:04 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: I've not used mine heavily, I was just trying to get something set up to test with. I have it playing straight BD and DVD rips from a server and it's not given me any issues. I don't think I have any 4K blu-rays though. Obviously you need to plan for enough network oomph to be pulling multiple streams of raw BD data from a server. Plex you definitely have to be careful of since it will often do transcoding on the server and can bring it to its knees. In theory it can just stream and not transcode if the source and target playback unit are compatible but I never have gotten it to do that. Again though I've not used it hard, just set it up to play around with and test with some. It's way too heavy duty for my little Intel NUC to handle if it's transcoding.

Does the Dune HD 4K support DVD menus?  How about BD menus and their fancy BD-J Menus?
Yeh, or at least I always have all the menus when I rip a DVD or BD. I guess it may depend on the tool you use and what it decides to rip.
Dean Roddey
(01-17-2020, 01:51 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: Yeh, or at least I always have all the menus when I rip a DVD or BD. I guess it may depend on the tool you use and what it decides to rip.

Good info.  I've seen in various forums too much back and forth of yes/no in regards to the BD menus and BD-Lite etc etc... I wanted to confirm with someone who actually owns and uses it.

In the specs and docs from the Dune site and review video's I see they do have the Netflix app for streaming content.  Do they have Amazon Video or Hulu?  I'm curious if a Dune HD 4K Plus could be a nice all in one Movie and Online streaming solution for me.
They have a bunch of stuff on there. I've never done any media streaming so I've not looked at that.
Dean Roddey
(01-18-2020, 06:32 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: They have a bunch of stuff on there. I've never done any media streaming so I've not looked at that.

Never done streaming from Dune or never done streaming at all???  Are you the one person in the world that does not watch Netflix, Amazon, Google, Hulu, YouTube at all? Smile
Well, I watch regular YouTube videos. But I've never streamed any movies. I used to be a Netflix customer for physical discs, but they pretty much did everything possible to discourage it and push folks towards their streaming services which I wasn't much interested in, so I dropped it. So, anyhoo, no, never streamed a movie from Netflix, Amazon, Google or Youtube, or Hulu. Never used a music streaming service either, though I do listen to some music on Youtube.

And I do watch movies, but I buy them, so I have a fairly small collection. Since I stopped Netflix a couple years ago or more I don't see much new stuff.
Dean Roddey
(01-18-2020, 03:45 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: Well, I watch regular YouTube videos. But I've never streamed any movies. I used to be a Netflix customer for physical discs, but they pretty much did everything possible to discourage it and push folks towards their streaming services which I wasn't much interested in, so I dropped it. So, anyhoo, no, never streamed a movie from Netflix, Amazon, Google or Youtube, or Hulu. Never used a music streaming service either, though I do listen to some music on Youtube.

And I do watch movies, but I buy them, so I have a fairly small collection. Since I stopped Netflix a couple years ago or more I don't see much new stuff.

Interesting.... I kept my Netflix subscription and I still get DVD's and BD's from Netflix.  I actually think their DVD/BD mailing is still doing very well.

Most of our movie watching is from Amazon or from my Plex server.  I'm looking to replace Plex but I also need to keep streaming services for the family that watch that way.  I suppose I could keep the Roku and have Dune for movies.  I did see that the Netflix app is available but no mention of Amazon... it might be just not advertised maybe... I dunno.

I'm trying to wean people off of Amazon Movies and just buy the discs again.  Not as convenient but much higher quality and I have the disc and I don't have to deal with the bickering of available apps and garbage between the providers.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which DVD Players Support Serial Control? Kent_Berry 22 7,827 04-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Last Post: radiopaque