Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outdoor Landscape Lighting and CQC
I'm not even sure just how many zones I may end up with. I could see in pool, pool deck ambience, pool floods, porch/house uplighting, tree up and downlights, gate lighting, driveway floods. The pool and driveway floods perhaps 120V and not on landscape system. Still at least 5 zones and that's if I don't want any tree or other effect lighting separated. It's 5 acre, not all will be lit of course but there are a lot of possibilities and options.
Wanted to bump this thread for updates on how you did with your project.
(Just signed into this new-to-me forum, but I've been using CQC since about 2010, I participated in a previous iteration of a CQC forum)

I have two transformers for my landscape lights.  I'm using an Elk to trigger two relays on an output expander (M1XOVR) to send 12v DC over CAT5e to two big relays with 12v DC coils inside a 4gang box in my mechanical room.  These relays energize 120v AC circuits for the plug-in transformers.

So there's control via the Elk astronomical clock, upon security arming / disarming events, buttons in the CQC IV, etc.

The two switches in the pictures are to bypass the relays for local / manual control.  The round-ish looking things are little lights so I can confirm the outlets are energized or not.

Yep, I realize there is LV and HV in the same box on the left.

Pics:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Va6nJZ6pagMAf8kA6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/y8AbSa1gh5pTw7457
I ended up using three NSi TORK TPX100 Low-Voltage 100-Watt Safety Transformer (stainless steel version) with solid brass lights with LED bulbs from Volt Lighting. I have a backyard zone, a front yard zone, and an optional front yard zone for accenting certain things. The lights are wired with Lightkiwi E6618 12AWG 2-Conductor 12/2 Direct Burial Wire and the lights themselves are installed atop Arlington Industries GP19BR-1 Gard-N-Post Outdoor Landscape Lighting Garden Posts.  

The transformers are controlled by individual Lutron RRD-8ANS RadioRA2 switches which are in weatherproof boxes affixed to each transformer.

Lights can be turned on in CQC or via Lutron RRD-W7B-WH RadioRA2 wall keypad buttons.
(04-25-2020, 06:59 AM)gReatAutomation Wrote: I ended up using three NSi TORK TPX100 Low-Voltage 100-Watt Safety Transformer (stainless steel version) with solid brass lights with LED bulbs from Volt Lighting. I have a backyard zone, a front yard zone, and an optional front yard zone for accenting certain things. The lights are wired with Lightkiwi E6618 12AWG 2-Conductor 12/2 Direct Burial Wire and the lights themselves are installed atop Arlington Industries GP19BR-1 Gard-N-Post Outdoor Landscape Lighting Garden Posts.  

The transformers are controlled by individual Lutron RRD-8ANS RadioRA2 switches which are in weatherproof boxes affixed to each transformer.

Lights can be turned on in CQC or via Lutron RRD-W7B-WH RadioRA2 wall keypad buttons.

That actually sounds like a decent option. I've been looking at lots of options. The FX Luxor stuff is just way too pricey for now. There are some decent stand alone controllers but without possibility to integrate with anything else. I've looked at using the Elk M1G driving relays, which seems like the second best option. But since interior lighting will be on Lutron I think easiest to keep all lights in the same environment. Now to see if dimmable is possible...
I would not mess with dimming landscape lights, especially if they are LED.

The 7W LED MR16 38º 2700K (50W Halogen Replacement) are not too bright and look really nice.
Sounds like pairing Lutron dimmers with transformers for LV lighting isn't that unusual. Lutron has some application documentation on that. They do have dimmers capable of driving MLV and ELV transformers but seems other than size and maybe a little cost no need to fool with the ELV stuff, especially for LED.

I had to buy 12 different LED bulbs for general house lighting to find one I felt good about using with Lutron dimmers. I guess I could do the same for landscape lights. And for fallback, just use the 8NS as you suggested.

Any suggestions for how to arrange switches and transformers for multiple zones, perhaps as many as 6 or 8? The transformer enclosures look to all be weatherproof but not sure I could mount the Lutron switch inside those enclosures. What did you do? I'd say my landscape guy should figure that out if not already know what to do, but my experience with most every other aspect of this house build has been once I veer off the path of what is "always done" then I need to start helping figure things out. If not, the results are " sub optimal"!
The LV transformers would mount outdoors by your pool pad or main electrical panel. They would go on either the wall with Stainless Steel Strut Channel or in to the ground with concrete, depends on how you want to do it. Based on my house layout they go on the wall of my house with the stainless strut b/c they are near the pool pad and electrical panel (i.e., out of sight). Other people have them installed on a stand that is anchored to the ground.

If you want multi zone control, you will need as many transformers as you have zones. Then, each 8ANS would install to each transformer in a weatherproof box with cover.

Inside of the TORK TPX300, there are two sets of wires. On the left is high voltage side (neutral/white and load/black). There is a grounding bar in the middle. On the right site is the low voltage side. There is a common (black) and three voltage wires: 12v, 13v, and 14v.

Connecting Transformer to Lights
The common wire of the low voltage side (black with a COM sticker on it) will connect to the ribbed side of the direct burial wire.

The 14v wire (colored wire with a 14V sticker on it) will connect to the smooth side of the direct burial wire.

When connecting the lights, ensure the ribbed wires are together and the smooth wires are together.

Connecting Transformer to RRD-8ANS
The 8ANS has Blue, Brass, Silver, and Black screw terminals (Wiring Diagram 2). The Blue will not be used in this installation.

From your power source (electrical panel), connect the ground the to TPX300 ground terminal block. From your 8ANS, connect the ground wire to the TPX300 ground terminal block.

Connect a neutral wire (white) piggy tail to the 8ANS Silver (neutral) screw terminal, then, connect the neutral (white) from the TPX300, and the neutral (white) from your power source (electrical panel) together.

Connect a hot/line (black) piggy tail to the 8ANS Black (Hot/Line) screw terminal, then, connect the hot/line (black) from your power source (electrical panel) to this piggy tail together.

Connect a load (black) piggy tail to the 8ANS Brass (Load) screw terminal, then, connect the load (black) wire from the left side of your TPX300 to this piggy tail together.
(05-31-2020, 09:47 AM)gReatAutomation Wrote: The LV transformers would mount outdoors by your pool pad or main electrical panel. They would go on either the wall with Stainless Steel Strut Channel or in to the ground with concrete, depends on how you want to do it. Based on my house layout they go on the wall of my house with the stainless strut b/c they are near the pool pad and electrical panel (i.e., out of sight). Other people have them installed on a stand that is anchored to the ground.

If you want multi zone control, you will need as many transformers as you have zones. Then, each 8ANS would install to each transformer in a weatherproof box with cover.

Inside of the TORK TPX300, there are two sets of wires. On the left is high voltage side (neutral/white and load/black). There is a grounding bar in the middle. On the right site is the low voltage side. There is a common (black) and three voltage wires: 12v, 13v, and 14v.

Connecting Transformer to Lights
The common wire of the low voltage side (black with a COM sticker on it) will connect to the ribbed side of the direct burial wire.

The 14v wire (colored wire with a 14V sticker on it) will connect to the smooth side of the direct burial wire.

When connecting the lights, ensure the ribbed wires are together and the smooth wires are together.

Connecting Transformer to RRD-8ANS
The 8ANS has Blue, Brass, Silver, and Black screw terminals (Wiring Diagram 2). The Blue will not be used in this installation.

From your power source (electrical panel), connect the ground the to TPX300 ground terminal block. From your 8ANS, connect the ground wire to the TPX300 ground terminal block.

Connect a neutral wire (white) piggy tail to the 8ANS Silver (neutral) screw terminal, then, connect the neutral (white) from the TPX300, and the neutral (white) from your power source (electrical panel) together.

Connect a hot/line (black) piggy tail to the 8ANS Black (Hot/Line) screw terminal, then, connect the hot/line (black) from your power source (electrical panel) to this piggy tail together.

Connect a load (black) piggy tail to the 8ANS Brass (Load) screw terminal, then, connect the load (black) wire from the left side of your TPX300 to this piggy tail together.

Haha, well I was thinking more generally like whether you put the switch in the transformer enclosure, switch in its own enclosure, or a couple of switches and transformers in one large watertight enclosure... But that level of detail will actually be very helpful too!

From more reading it seems a small plastic weatherproof enclosure near the transformer for the switch/dimmer makes the most sense. I don't think my municipality allows dimmable outlets even if marked and dedicated in use, but cutting the plug from a transformer and wiring directly to the switch should be ok, got to make sure the electrician clears it first.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sunsetter Awning with RGBW Lighting and CQC kfly 2 248 07-29-2021, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  RadioRA2 vs CQC for Lighting Scenes gReatAutomation 1 580 07-10-2020, 12:16 PM
  Hue Lighting Control jokermac 17 5,333 03-28-2020, 06:18 AM
Last Post: jokermac
  GE Heavy Duty 40 Amp Outdoor Switch (14285) / Misting System gReatAutomation 0 888 06-11-2019, 04:44 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  GE Z-Wave Outdoor Switch / Garage Door / Alarm gReatAutomation 0 939 06-11-2019, 03:53 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  global actions and lighting groups jkmonroe 11 6,674 06-02-2017, 08:27 PM
  Landscape to portrait to landscape George M 2 2,186 01-19-2017, 12:46 PM
  [NEW] Lighting Control Poll Squintz 33 17,038 01-19-2014, 02:31 AM
Last Post: karenlee
  lighting switch ellisr63 6 3,835 05-09-2013, 08:19 AM
Last Post: ellisr63
  Lighting UI implementation rbroders 1 2,308 06-08-2011, 09:49 AM