Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ZWave Issues / Aeotec
Anyone else finding the correct orientation for the Aeotec zstick? I cannot seem to find an orientation that does not result in some sort of delay in turning on or off a light, etc.

What's interesting is that if I turn on or off the same light using the Master Controller (Leviton ZStick with Vizia software) it works every time.

Anyone had success in using that ZWave Troubleshooting hardware device?

Any chance at supporting other ZWave sticks other than Aeotec?

[Image: Screen-Shot-2019-07-23-at-11-59-35.jpg]
It doesn't have anything to do with it being the aeotec vs. something else. They are all the same Z-Wave hardware inside really. The master server doesn't have to do anything else. So it just blasts the command multiple times most likely, and doesn't try to get any status back from the light. The driver won't send the command unless it has gotten valid data for it, and that's something that's more tweaky because it's an ongoing process that has to continue working right.

One thing to keep in mind of course is that, if you move any node, you need to make sure Z-Wave network is updated. If you are moving the Z-Stick around, do an inclusion on the driver after you do that, to make the stick find its new best neighbors. Otherwise you are making it worse by moving it around. They use static tables of best nearest neighbors that are only updated during that inclusion process generally.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
(07-23-2019, 12:52 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: They use static tables of best nearest neighbors that are only updated during that inclusion process generally.

Thanks.

Anyone have experience with this or similar tool? I've downloaded the Silicon Labs tool but do not know if it is similar/same.

https://www.zwaveproducts.com/shop/sale/...ve-toolbox

The Vizia tool also has a Hop Count/Link Quality tool. I'll look at that as well.
If the master has a 'repair network' option, you can use that as well, which might be best after moving the stick. I think the Leviton software has such an option.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
(07-23-2019, 01:01 PM)gReatAutomation Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 12:52 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: They use static tables of best nearest neighbors that are only updated during that inclusion process generally.

Thanks.

Anyone have experience with this or similar tool? I've downloaded the Silicon Labs tool but do not know if it is similar/same.

The Vizia tool also has a Hop Count/Link Quality tool. I'll look at that as well.

Looks very familiar.  The issue is most likely not the Aeotec stick. Its the Z-wave network having issues with nodes having limited or bad neighbor routes.
Do  Leviton RFIT network repair 2 times. if you still have issues see below:

I also have the zwp toolbox. I spent a year struggling with the leviton stick tool.
You may want to pick up a  zwp toolbox now that is on sale for something like $149

You will still need to do a network repair/program with the Leviton stick but the toolbox will do a much better job at finding nodes having issues or where repeaters are needed.
[url=https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Range-Extender-Z-Wave-Repeater/dp/B07GRYTHBQ][/url]I had to add a couple of the "Aeotec Range Extender 6's" to bridge the distance between a few nodes having issues. Also had a node in a metal garage jbox that needed a repeater facing the front of the switch box(go figure)

Kevin
(07-23-2019, 04:31 PM)kfly Wrote:

Thanks.

Looks very familiar.  The issue is most likely not the Aeotec stick. Its the Z-wave network having issues with nodes having limited or bad neighbor routes.
Do Leviton RFIT network repair 2 times. if you still have issues see below:

I also have the zwp toolbox. I spent a year struggling with the leviton stick tool.
You may want to pick up a zwp toolbox now that is on sale for something like $149

You will still need to do a network repair/program with the Leviton stick but the toolbox will do a much better job at finding nodes having issues or where repeaters are needed.

[url=https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Range-Extender-Z-Wave-Repeater/dp/B07GRYTHBQ][/url]I had to add a couple of the "Aeotec Range Extender 6's" to bridge the distance between a few nodes having issues. Also had a node in a metal garage jbox that needed a repeater facing the front of the switch box(go figure)

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. How have things been since taking the above steps?
(07-23-2019, 04:38 PM)gReatAutomation Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 04:31 PM)kfly Wrote:

Thanks.

Do Leviton RFIT network repair 2 times. if you still have issues see below:

You may want to pick up a zwp toolbox now that is on sale for something like $149

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. How have things been since taking the above steps?

Great.
What delays are you seeing.   1-2 seconds? or more?
With the toolbox you can do a simple or complex diagnostics of the entire zwave network. Here is a simple ping to each zwave node and see the time and route it took.
Normally correlates with delays I see in CQC... So my Garage Lights have a 4 second delay most of the time because they are in a shielded model jbox. Locks take 2-3 seconds to respond.,etc
Put the Toolbox device  near your CQC Aeotec stick and do the test. You can quickly see any issues on the network. You need to get 100% of your network devices to have a "OK" status. That may mean adding a Z-wave switch in a dead area or a repeater.

[Image: 3nWeMpb.jpg]
Thank you! I've ordered the Aeotec extender pack and the Zwave Toolbox and will continue onward. Had I known about RadioRA2 when I gutted/renovated the house I would have installed those.
(07-24-2019, 03:51 AM)gReatAutomation Wrote: Thank you! I've ordered the Aeotec extender pack and the Zwave Toolbox and will continue onward.

Just make sure you do a network repair after each change or addition to your network. If I add a repeater I do two network repairs in a row.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please add Somfy ZRTSI to zwave models kfly 15 342 11-24-2019, 03:37 PM
Last Post: kfly
  Zwave lock battery level indicator on Field Checkbox kfly 4 289 09-07-2019, 05:34 AM
Last Post: kfly
  Write Failed / ZWave gReatAutomation 8 343 09-02-2019, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Clear out all previous ZWave info gReatAutomation 3 239 08-01-2019, 02:00 PM
  Zwave / Remove unused devices? gReatAutomation 2 190 07-25-2019, 02:27 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  SOLVED: VLC dll Issues with CQC Interface Template Viewer gReatAutomation 3 460 06-17-2019, 06:17 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Going from Zwave to Lutron, worth it and what to do about the lock? ghurty 6 917 12-29-2018, 10:55 AM
Last Post: dogman
  Lutron Caseta & Zwave Issues dangerlong 191 39,481 12-19-2018, 06:40 PM
Last Post: tom
  Aeotec not starting fast enough on system reboot IVB 3 711 12-15-2018, 04:57 PM
  How to update the new zwave stick/driver? ghurty 5 1,110 11-22-2018, 06:56 PM