Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hue Lighting Control
(12-09-2019, 06:32 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: Yeh, it doesn't support scenes or rooms. The problem is that the Hue interface is horrible. You have to poll it and it returns a lot of data per thing polled, and it's hard as it is to keep decent latency once you get a reasonable number of devices connected. I'm a little iffy about adding even more. People have been begging them to update the protocol to support some sort of async reporting, to avoid the massive overhead of all that polling. And it's even more stupid that just to get the current state of something you have to query all the information about it. It's just majorly stupid.
Okay.  Understand the point about polling and I’m willing to live with slow or maybe even no updates on status.  The problem is that there is currently no way to control scenes or rooms.  Controlling 100+ lights individually is also far from optimal.  

If you can fix scenes, and implement rooms on/off, and maybe give a slow polling on rooms, that would provide a reasonable solution.  Even if no polling i’d be happy.
I don't know anything about Hue, but perhaps the Logic Server/driver might help.  You could put all of the lights of a room as a field in the logic driver, and then based on what it is showing, control the various lights in a room, i.e. on or off.  I use this at times for the ISY lighting driver.
I can look at at least write-only support for setting rooms. That wouldn't make things any worse. A slow poll is ultimately sort of semi-useless, since you can never depend on the state in CQC being correct.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Write only on Rooms and Scenes would be perfectly fine. Currently in the driver scenes is setup as enum and the list is not populating correctly. What I’m really after is just being able to set the rooms and scenes in the Hue app, then being able to trigger them via the driver.
If the scenes aren't populating then they may have changed something. I'd need to get access to one to test that and see what is going on.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
(12-10-2019, 03:46 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: If the scenes aren't populating then they may have changed something. I'd need to get access to one to test that and see what is going on.

Hi Dean,

I'm happy to assist however needed.  Here is a link to the latest API guide.  Please note the driver in its current state appears to you enum the name of the scene.  This is not descriptive enough since you can have multiple rooms with the same scene name.  To set a scene you need the room number and scene number.

https://developers.meethue.com/develop/hue-api/4-scenes/
It would be great if we could toggle scenes! The Hue app makes it easy to create them so no need for CQC to have that functionality.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Outdoor Landscape Lighting and CQC gReatAutomation 11 906 01-20-2020, 12:56 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Jandy Pool Control avtexan 20 4,780 06-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  global actions and lighting groups jkmonroe 11 4,630 06-02-2017, 08:27 PM
  Use single On/Off/Slider to control group jkmonroe 3 2,125 08-06-2016, 09:28 AM
Last Post: pinballmark
  Help figuring out projector serial control! Deane Johnson 19 5,219 07-30-2016, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Harmony Hub Device Control jkmonroe 6 3,176 07-03-2016, 02:36 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  how deep is your (echo voice control) love? IVB 197 26,088 05-23-2016, 08:47 AM
  Problems with App Control in 4.8.3 update MikeA 2 1,863 04-07-2016, 07:29 AM
Last Post: MikeA
  Control surface - am I heading down a rat hole? kjaerligkatt 3 2,224 02-06-2016, 10:52 AM
  Tivo control question MikeA 21 8,509 12-26-2015, 06:29 PM
Last Post: dogman