Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5.3.2 IsDeviceReady slow for non-existant device
Ever since upgrading to 5.3.2 I have noticed that my main template is quite slow to load (used to be very fast).  Now when I press the button to go back to the main screen, it takes long enough that I think I didn't press the button.

I finally took an action trace shot...
.jpg   CQCSlowLoad.jpg (Size: 476.02 KB / Downloads: 5)

The result suggests that it is taking 5seconds to hide one of my widgets.

I think this is the last line to be executed in my OnPreload action, so maybe something else is getting lumped into its timing.

Any ideas?

Thanks -- Bob
It's actually showing how long since the previous one. So the one doing it is waiting for the driver to be ready. What is the MasterBedVideo driver for?
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Is that driver cycling by any chance? Could you make a quick global action and just do that wait driver ready command four or five times in a row and run that in the trace and see if it's consistently taking that long?
Dean Roddey
Actually, there is no MasterBedVideo driver - never has been.  I don't have a TV in the bedroom (though there is one in the Family, RecRoom, and MediaRoom).  The DriverIsReady call is used to make the generic Template work properly in the bedroom as well as the other rooms.  Interesting that it takes so long to decide there is no driver with that name.

Maybe I would work faster if I create a driver with that name and then pause it forever...

-Bob
So you are just trying to decide is there a TV in this room? And you are doing that by basically checking is there a driver with this name?

Wait driver ready is just that. It will wait until the time expires or the driver becomes ready. I doesn't care that there's not one currently available. It might become available in the time given, so it waits.
Dean Roddey
The command is If Devices:Big GrinriverIsReady.

It consistently takes 5secs for non-existent drivers and 2ms for existing drivers (running or paused).

--Bob
Oh, yeh, I misread that. You would think that would return quickly. Let me look at that. Ultimately though, maybe using a variables driver for some system wide configuration storage might be a better way to do it?
Dean Roddey
In the meantime, can you do the little test with a number of them in a row and see how it reacts?
Dean Roddey
Oh, nevermind. The fix is easy. The problem is that I seem to have changed that call to use a more convenient method, but it includes a timeout to wait for it, and the default timeout is 5 seconds. I just need to drop that down to something really short to just check it and be done.
Dean Roddey
Ok cool. Thanks. In the meantime I created a dummy driver and paused it permanently (well hopefully). This completely solves the performance problem.

BTW the driver I choose was the CQC Host Monitor! Ha what a hoot. You even built a Client Interface for it. Slick!

--Bob

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lock device class bryanb 6 1,111 06-24-2020, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Is it possible to rename a moniker for a device? ghurty 2 582 04-23-2020, 02:41 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Z-Wave Device List simplextech 2 995 02-01-2020, 07:24 AM
Last Post: simplextech
  Device Grouping simplextech 9 2,308 01-11-2020, 11:17 AM
  Z-Wave Device Support simplextech 6 2,032 01-06-2020, 02:24 PM
  Simple device control from Admin Interface simplextech 7 2,184 01-04-2020, 12:18 PM
  ISY994i Device Issues bigdude 8 3,568 05-22-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bigdude
  What device model to put for a Jasco/GE switch? And a questions about V1/V2/V3. ghurty 1 1,423 05-16-2018, 09:06 PM
  Passing device name as variable jokermac 12 5,766 11-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Last Post: jokermac
  Device Driver documentation Bugman 3 2,842 06-01-2017, 05:16 PM