Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LIFX Driver
Back from the grave, but any change in status of a LIFX Driver?
No, nothing done on that front. These are the Wifi based lights, right? I've been considering getting a few and working on that. Generally speaking, that's a bit low endy and we don't encourage use of Wifi based doodads. But, the protocol doesn't look overly complicated or anything. One problem is that it doesn't fit in well with our driver model. Typically, we talk to one box, which talks to the various things that that box controls (Z-Wave, Radio RA2, etc...) Or, we talk to one thing that is actually just one thing, like an A/V receiver. A driver per light wouldn't be very great, but we don't have a good means currently to allow the user to configure multiple IP addresses for a single driver.

OTOH, it does look like the protocol supports device discovery so it could just find them itself I guess.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
If I were going to grab, say, three LIFX devices to use for development, what would be a set that would provide the widest range of possibilities for me to have to deal with. Are they all basically either dimmable white or RGB?
Dean Roddey
(11-26-2018, 05:23 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: If I were going to grab, say, three LIFX devices to use for development, what would be a set that would provide the widest range of possibilities for me to have to deal with. Are they all basically either dimmable white or RGB?

The LIFX lights are all from the API perspective pretty much the same.  

The most common I think is currently the A19/E26
https://www.lifx.com/products/lifx-e26

The local api uses UDP for device discovery and communications and the HomeSeer plugin uses a UDP broadcast discovery method.  It's also possible to perform a cloud->local discovery which could be a fall back but defeats the purpose of the local purpose/intent of the system.

I do have half a dozen of these bulbs in use and they are nice, but I'm in no way married to them as I find the Hue ecosystem to be more cohesive but I didn't like their color quality as much as the LIFX which was my purpose of buying them.  IF/When the Hue color is on par I'm likely to switch back to them for the few color bulbs I use.
But you'd need to know what type you are dealing with, since that would expose different control points (white would just be off/on and level, while color would offer color support.) If there are other variations we'd need to provide for those as well. And we'd need to have one of each type we want to support, for testing purposes. That's why I was asking.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  JVC D-ILA Driver jokermac 21 244 Yesterday, 04:05 AM
Last Post: Mark Stega
  RunTimer2 driver rbroders 18 6,398 10-17-2019, 04:38 PM
Last Post: rbroders
  Writing Driver - Varying commands based on checksum gReatAutomation 3 420 07-22-2019, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Samsung HLxxA750 DLP Beta Driver jrunde 37 19,977 07-19-2019, 01:24 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Amazon Echo Hue Simulator Driver wuench 123 53,995 07-08-2019, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  New Driver - How hard would this be? kblagron 4 947 05-20-2019, 11:28 AM
Last Post: zaccari
  Cytech Comfort Driver znelbok 6 872 04-10-2019, 05:39 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  OpenHAB Driver whozeawhat 6 2,725 01-16-2019, 06:45 AM
Last Post: greymatter
  XBMC Driver wuench 428 191,274 12-28-2018, 11:07 AM