Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't Login to IV with New User Account
For using WebRIVA in version 5.2.1 I created a new user account with a role of normal user. However when I try to login to the Interface Viewer using the new login name and password it's rejected with an error message stating "The provided name or password was incorrect." I tried both the regular password and the web password. The regular password used is the same as the Admin password since I don't know how to create a "regular" password for a user account - see below.

I'm still in trial mode waiting for a license.

The help page about running WebRIVA states "Each CQC user account has two passwords, a regular one and a 'web password'. When I created the new user account I didn't see a field for setting the "regular" password. How is this done?
(10-28-2017, 06:40 AM)Jnetto Wrote: For using WebRIVA in version 5.2.1 I created a new user account with a role of normal user. However when I try to login to the Interface Viewer using the new login name and password it's rejected with an error message stating "The provided name or password was incorrect." I tried both the regular password and the web password. The regular password used is the same as the Admin password since I don't know how to create a "regular" password for a user account - see below.

I'm still in trial mode waiting for a license.

The help page about running WebRIVA states "Each CQC user account has two passwords, a regular one and a 'web password'. When I created the new user account I didn't see a field for setting the "regular" password. How is this done?

Jnetto,
Just looked at my WebRiva client on 5.2.1. Uses the regular  user account password(Normal User). do a "Reset PW"  in the Admin Interface for that Login Name and see if that fixes.
Dean, I am easily confused so having two ways of changing passwords on the same screen is confusing(go figure).
When I highlight a user "ipad" There is a "Reset PW" on the screen and a File "Change Password". If you do a File "Change Password" on this screen it says changing password but at the top it says "admin user". Eventhough the ipad user is highlighted. Probably should have only one way to change passwords(a Button or a File Change Password)

[Image: iAFrFLd.png]
The two different ways are legitimate I think. The one in the file menu is to let you change your own password, and it's always available to you (the account you are currently logged in under.) It's also available in the IV as well, for non-admin users to change their own passwords.

The reset PW on the tab is to change someone else's password, and you can only do this if you have the rights to do so, so it may not be available to you. Power Users can also run the AI, but they can only change the password for lower rights users than them (normal/limited) so the Reset PW button would be grayed out for them for another power user or admin account since they don't have the rights to do that.

You could also use the tab to change your own account. So there's only two ways in that one case of your own account.

You see Admin on that screen because you did File->Change PW, which is working on your account. To change the one being edited, use the Reset PW button.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
BTW, when you create a new account, the password is Welcome. That lets the new user log in and change it something they want to use. If you want to set it, you can use the Reset PW to do that and then let the user know what you set it to.

I guess I could change the File menu item to say "Change My Password" in both the IV and AI, to make that clearer.
Dean Roddey
kfly,
Thanks - that solved the problem. I thought Reset Password was for the Web password.
The web password you can just type in. It's just user account data, whereas the actual account name/password is the important stuff and has to be dealt with specially.

I made the mentioned change above, to have the main menu say "Change My Password".
Dean Roddey
(10-28-2017, 09:09 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: The web password you can just type in. It's just user account data, whereas the actual account name/password is the important stuff and has to be dealt with specially.

I made the mentioned change above, to have the main menu say "Change My Password".

Can you move the "Reset PW" button to be on the same line as "Login Name:"?  It would then be very clear and not confused with web password.
Thanks
I dunno if I want to do that. One of the things that we got away from in the 5.x move was to get rid of buttons all over the place (other than some obvious ones like select a value and the small up/down/delete ones associated with a list.) We moved to trying to very consistently use the current standard Windows scheme of lower right buttons.
Dean Roddey
(10-28-2017, 10:11 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: I dunno if I want to do that. One of the things that we got away from in the 5.x move was to get rid of buttons all over the place (other than some obvious ones like select a value and the small up/down/delete ones associated with a list.) We moved to trying to very consistently use the current standard Windows scheme of lower right buttons.

When you do a "file" "change password" you pop-up a dialog box that allows you to set both passwords.  Can you not use the same dialog when you press "Reset PW"? then you don't have to change any buttons...  you would just need to make the Web Password field just show "***" and not be able to enter anything.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Email account without authentication lleo 5 158 12-07-2019, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Display of an Extended Wait for User Image kblagron 4 261 09-20-2019, 02:21 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  Omni arming mode user info dlmorgan999 2 375 05-02-2019, 04:42 PM
Last Post: dlmorgan999
  Accidental account deletion Dean Roddey 0 440 02-10-2019, 09:59 PM
  \User\CQC\Blanker pinballmark 2 1,315 10-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Last Post: pinballmark
  auto login to CQC zane 9 4,705 02-28-2017, 01:13 PM
Last Post: zane
  Configure -> User error zra 4 2,669 12-07-2016, 02:19 PM
  User Surveys potts.mike 5 2,295 10-26-2016, 06:33 PM