Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official 5.2 Beta Discussion Thread
The toolbar feature is great Dean, as I have this exact scenario in my interfaces, and I've always wished there was a solution.  I'm anxious to test it as soon as it's ready!  Smile
Dean

I got back to an interface this morning to make some changes and I decided to use global variables instead of hard coding the values.

I have a web image widget and the url is http://%(LVar:Server_IP):%(LVar:Server_Port)/........

When I try to save it reports there are errors and that the url is not valid.

Can we allows this or at least allow the template to be saved with errors. I think not saving when errors exists is wrong. If you are part way through developing a template and have lots of errors but need to stop you cant save before walking away. I believe that you should be able to save at the current state errors and all. By all means report them at both loading and saving but don't inhibit the creation process.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Most of the errors are not considered 'fatal' like that. That one was probably just missed when we went through the process of making them more lenient.

In the meantime, you could always just set it in the OnPreload of the parent template, which would make it a runtime thing. I'll look at making it non-fatal in the meantime.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Oh, wait, the reason that is fatal is that variables are not expanded in those values that you enter in the attribute editor. They are only expanded in action command parameters. So if that's a static one, I assume you are entering the URL into the attribute editor. If so, it being a fatal error is valid, since that will literally be what is passed as the URL. It's not just that the variables can't be expanded at edit time, but it would work later. In this case it would never work.

So, as I mentioned above, just build up the URL when the parent template is loaded and set it then. In the meantime, just add a dummy URL in the attribute editor to make it happy.
Dean Roddey
OK, will check it all out

Still should not prevent a save on a fatal error though. No error should prevent a save
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
It's a trade off. I'm trying to strike a balance between ignoring those things that reasonably could actually work at run time even if they can't work at editing time. But there's a lot to be said for not letting you save clearly invalid content, particularly when editing content that may be actively in use. It's a lot easier to deal with the error there, than trying to figure out why the content doesn't work later when you are using it and forgot that you saved it with errors.

BTW, it won't stop you from shutting the program down. If you do that, everything is saved regardless. So it's not like it would prevent you from stopping the AI if you had to restart the system for some emergency reasons or stop working now and shut down. It's just trying to get you to fix the template before you save and close that particular tab, now while it's obvious what is wrong.
Dean Roddey
OK - I understand that, You have to remember that this is a HA system not a process control/SCADA system where if it does not work it could potentially cause harm to people/Environment etc. Potentially the worst case is that a light wont come on or an audio device wont change source. I come a background where I am working daily on multi million dollar plants and systems in 24x7 operation - so to me CQC is at quite a different level.

Your second paragraph indicates that there are two copies of a template - one temporary one that is not "deployed" and that when a successful save is made it is deployed. Maybe this needs to be a little more visible. Something maybe like "Save" and a "Save and Deploy". This is used a lot in many SCADA packages - off-line versions and installed version. It does create some issues such as opening a deployed interface for editing when an off-line version already exists - which one is it that the user really wants?

Personally, I am happy to have errors saved and the IV throw a hissy fit when the interface is opened - but that is just me. You are doing the right thing now in throwing up the warnings when the save is done. I know there have been times where I am testing one part of the interface but there are errors in another part - I can get part way on checking and then go back and fix the other stuff as I progress through the design of the interface.

So if I am halfway through editing an interface and there are fatal errors, I can still close the AI and then when I re-open the template for editing it will have all the changes I made - errors and all - yet the IV will not be using it.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Oh, no, there's not two separate places to store it. It's just that, I have to let you close the program, so I have no choice but to save any changes. It only tries to get you to fix obvious fatal errors if you are saving/closing a specific tab.
Dean Roddey
I just posted 5.1.909. Could some of you take a look at the help, starting at the main page, and let me know if this is likely to be better for a newbie? It should now lead you along a lot better, with new (higher level) content, so that now we have big picture content, more detailed content, and then reference content.
Dean Roddey
  • I just scaled my 1920x1200 templates to 80% to accommodate the Silk browser & Kindle chrome. It looks pretty good but a popup invocation had an absolute path so it was getting the non-scaled version. It would be nice if the scaling process produced a log with warnings about absolute paths.
  • On my Kindle coming out of the sleep mode is problematic for WebRIVA. I see whatever template was showing disappear and get replaced by the "Connecting to CQC" message. The Charmed Quark logo never appears and the connection doesn't occur. So I have to do a page refresh and then the connection is essentially instantaneous.
  • I know that you did the special handling for the web cameras; Do you intend so support the general web widget in a similar (or any)┬áfashion?
Mark Stega

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  6.x Beta Release Discussions Thread gReatAutomation 26 3,792 05-09-2022, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Shaky
  Official 5.5 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 46 14,755 09-23-2021, 03:32 PM
Last Post: jokermac
  Official 6.x Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 2 1,121 04-16-2021, 05:55 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  5.5 Beta Discussions Thread Dean Roddey 291 75,338 04-05-2021, 04:10 PM
  6.X Discussions Thread gReatAutomation 1 923 04-01-2021, 03:23 PM
  Official 5.4 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 441 170,685 06-15-2019, 02:33 AM
Last Post: Bugman
  Official 5.4 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 55 30,806 06-07-2019, 07:02 PM
  Official 5.3 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 815 376,628 07-05-2018, 12:44 PM
  Official 5.3 Release Thread Dean Roddey 27 20,046 07-05-2018, 12:44 PM
  Official 5.2 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 13 14,337 10-09-2017, 06:49 PM