Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Z-Wave Question
Hi,

I recently purchased a Planet HAC-1000 Z-Wave Home Automation Control Gateway (link).  Rationale here was that I wanted something with great range and that I could mount with more flexibility / coverage as I have a large footprint I'm trying to cover in my home.

This device connects via Ethernet vs. Serial so AFAIK, there isn't a logical driver in CQC that I can leverage.  Any thoughts on how I can integrate this?

Thanks!

Warmly,

.a
Currently you'd have to use the VRC0P. But that's not a problem really. Both of them can be in use. On the footprint, keep in mind that Z-Wave is a mesh network. So as long as you have some reasonable density of wall powered units (which can act as relays), you shouldn't have an issue.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Hi Dean,

Ok.  I'll look into that this weekend.  The issue I saw with the existing ZWave drivers in CQC was that they all expected the connection to the gateway to be via Serial.  Am I missing something?

Also... I requested the API documentation from the vendor.  I'm attaching it here if anyone is interested.  It actually looks pretty complete.

Warmly,

.a

Attached Files
.pdf   PLANET HAC-1000 ZWAVE Gateway API Change-20150515.pdf (Size: 694.5 KB / Downloads: 3)
The VRCOP would be a secondary controller, your gateway the primary. CQC would talk through serial to the VRCOP on the zwave network.
|Z-Wave|Sonos|Tivo|Hue|Plex|Roku|MyMovies|Echo|
Nest|Harmony|Neeo|LG TV|Smarthings|
Actually, I'm not sure if that device acts as a primary controller. So he might still need a primary. Maybe it does. It wasn't obvious from reading that. It looked like more of a small Z-Wave touch screen client widget of some sort perhaps.
Dean Roddey
(05-11-2017, 09:59 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: Actually, I'm not sure if that device acts as a primary controller. So he might still need a primary. Maybe it does. It wasn't obvious from reading that. It looked like more of a small Z-Wave touch screen client widget of some sort perhaps.

^^^ Dean is correct.  I was actually on the hunt for a lightweight, powerful Z-Wave gateway with great range and an open API.  I don't want any of the fluff, just a great transport that I can fully control at the API level.

The way I see this is that I would administer the HAC-1000 via TCP-IP over my home network using a driver that spoke to this device via the API.  I would use the HTTP interface on the device (which is actually pretty good) to add and administer my Z-Wave devices.

Thoughts?

.a
Is it actually a Z-Wave primary controller? If not, you'll still need a separate primary. So if your goals were to use it as a Z-Wave interface and primary controller, you'd probably be wasting money on both fronts since you'd still need another primary and CQC requires the VRC0P.

If it acts as a primary controller, then it would still be useful to you for that purpose and whatever other features it provides. But CQC couldn't work through it, it would still require the VRC0P.
Dean Roddey
Or write a drive for the HAC-1000
|Z-Wave|Sonos|Tivo|Hue|Plex|Roku|MyMovies|Echo|
Nest|Harmony|Neeo|LG TV|Smarthings|
Any driver for something like Z-Wave is a huge effort and would only be justifiable if a lot of people were using the device already. We've already written three Z-Wave drivers over time now, and probably have put more cumulative time into those than into supporting any other ten devices/systems, which is really sad given that it's one of the worst systems out there.
Dean Roddey
Thanks for all the advice everyone.  I'm going to buckle in and purchase a VRC0P.  Will report back in a few weeks when I have this all up and running.

.a

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SSL Certificate Question gReatAutomation 1 947 10-26-2020, 07:48 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  V2 Question - OpenWeatherMap Using their New JSON Data Feed kblagron 7 2,116 05-07-2020, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Dynamic Overlay Question bryanb 4 1,364 04-17-2020, 03:48 AM
Last Post: bryanb
  Z-Wave Device List simplextech 2 1,392 02-01-2020, 07:24 AM
Last Post: simplextech
  Z-Wave dual usb stick setup simplextech 7 2,344 01-20-2020, 01:32 PM
  Z-Wave Device Support simplextech 6 2,941 01-06-2020, 02:24 PM
  [REQUEST] Z-Wave Devices simplextech 2 1,484 01-05-2020, 07:31 PM
  Z-Wave include fails with security simplextech 15 4,113 01-04-2020, 06:18 PM