Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russound XSource Question
Dean - I am searching about for a streaming player so that I can integrate SXM, Pandora, TuneIn and so on but it also needs to be operable with CQC.  I am a bit concerned about Sonos Connect due to there recent announcement,  Has anyone or have you tried a Russound XSource?  Is it controllable vie the existing driver or would a new driver be required? 

https://www.russound.com/products/audio-...dio-player
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
They claim it integrates as a source within the Russound controllers. I'm not familiar with the details of that to know if that means the existing source commands will work with it or not. The driver has fields for showing metadata of what's playing, turn up/down, and tune direct commands. And it says Sirius/XML models add Category and channel up/down commands, so would seem those would be what would be used to control a source tuner, though the driver says they are for an ST2 tuner. That may be because that was the only tuner at the time or something. It would seem pretty crazy for them to create a whole new set of commands to do those same things.

But, my idea of crazy is often not shared by hardware vendors, so...
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
(03-28-2017, 07:33 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: They claim it integrates as a source within the Russound controllers. I'm not familiar with the details of that to know if that means the existing source commands will work with it or not. The driver has fields for showing metadata of what's playing, turn up/down, and tune direct commands. And it says Sirius/XML models add Category and channel up/down commands, so would seem those would be what would be used to control a source tuner, though the driver says they are for an ST2 tuner. That may be because that was the only tuner at the time or something. It would seem pretty crazy for them to create a whole new set of commands to do those same things.

Looks like it will only control through the MCA series multi room units since they are IP.  Looks like the CAV line will only integrate with the older serial based dual tuners. 
I will contact Russound and verify and will also see if I can get an API.  I will keep you updated.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
(03-29-2017, 02:31 AM)DaveB Wrote:
(03-28-2017, 07:33 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: They claim it integrates as a source within the Russound controllers. I'm not familiar with the details of that to know if that means the existing source commands will work with it or not. The driver has fields for showing metadata of what's playing, turn up/down, and tune direct commands. And it says Sirius/XML models add Category and channel up/down commands, so would seem those would be what would be used to control a source tuner, though the driver says they are for an ST2 tuner. That may be because that was the only tuner at the time or something. It would seem pretty crazy for them to create a whole new set of commands to do those same things.

Looks like it will only control through the MCA series multi room units since they are IP.  Looks like the CAV line will only integrate with the older serial based dual tuners. 
I will contact Russound and verify and will also see if I can get an API.  I will keep you updated.

Ok so I found out the rest of the story - The unit can be controlled by the MCA series switchers or on its own.  It is Ethernet only and uses the Russound RIO protocol as opposed to the RNET protocol.  In fact, all current Russound units use the RIO.  The RIO protocol can also control RNet devices, so at some point, you should probably look at a new driver to stay up with the equipment evolution.  All that said, I also found out that the unit comes to you in a locked state.  The only way to unlock it is by entering a valid Russound Authorized seller/Integrator ID.  So unless you are a Pro Installer, the unit is fairly useless to the average DIY'er.  I guess I am off to purchase a Sonos Connect and take my chances on when and if they will clamp down that unit.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SSL Certificate Question gReatAutomation 1 905 10-26-2020, 07:48 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  V2 Question - OpenWeatherMap Using their New JSON Data Feed kblagron 7 2,089 05-07-2020, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Dynamic Overlay Question bryanb 4 1,320 04-17-2020, 03:48 AM
Last Post: bryanb
  Triggered Event on Timer Question znelbok 7 3,364 12-09-2019, 02:10 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Question on CQC Driver Pack Install kblagron 1 1,267 11-26-2019, 06:38 PM
  SONOS Driver Question gReatAutomation 13 5,547 08-23-2019, 12:37 PM
  Insteon V2 Driver Question kblagron 1 1,238 08-01-2019, 10:51 AM
Last Post: kblagron
  Question on Parsing a String in a CML Macro kblagron 2 1,609 06-18-2019, 06:21 PM
  ELK M1 Client Interface question lleo 1 1,298 06-12-2019, 08:15 AM
  Question on Socket Error kblagron 4 2,220 04-07-2019, 09:19 PM
Last Post: kblagron