Poll: Which voice control do you or will you use?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Alexa Echo/Dot
42.11%
8 42.11%
Alexa on iPhone/iPad
21.05%
4 21.05%
Jarvis
21.05%
4 21.05%
None/Not decided yet
5.26%
1 5.26%
Google Home
5.26%
1 5.26%
Google Assistant
5.26%
1 5.26%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alexa comming to the iPhone!
I see from a report in USA today, that a full Alexa app will be launched for the iPhone. 

So as voice control become more mainstream, it will work for both PC and Apple users to control CQC.  I know that some folks are distrustful of stuff in the cloud, and for then Javis will be an alternative.  Alexa is also more complex to set up with the cloud registration process.  But I think it could be made simpler if some of the work that went into Jarvis to generate room configuration scripts, could be use to generate Alexa scripts as well.  It seems as if a lot of problems on the Alexa support thread come from people cutting and pasting to write their own scripts.

PJG
(03-17-2017, 04:15 AM)batwater Wrote: For a full survey you need to add Google Home and Google Assistant to your voice control poll.  Those are also options though through a different path.

Yes - my mistake.  I can't find a way to alter a polll - any ideas?

PJG
Nope, I actually deleted the post thinking it wasn't doable at the same time you posted. Dean might have to alter.
I am sticking with the Echo until Google allows you to change the wake word. Google is just too hard to say correctly for me. On a side note I got a couple of Bali Autoview blinds hooked up the other day to the ISY and can open/close them with the Echo now.

I left Apple for the android world many moons ago mostly because of Tasker and my MotoZ allows me to change the wake word. Haven't tried Jarvis yet, need to get upgraded to 5.x first, I do have a kinect in a box somewhere, but no PC to really attach it to since my server sits on a VMWare host in the basement. I may try it on my office PC or something and see how it does on my tablet with the built in mic, too much good stuff going on, not enough time... Smile
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
I updated the poll. I don't think anything that runs on a phone is going to be really competing with Jarvis or the Echo. The whole point of the latter types are that they are just there in the room and you don't have to find your phone to do them. I imagine that they would not be mutually exclusive or anything, and used in different circumstances.

And I also imagine that the average person, including the average installer, would much prefer something like Jarvis because of the ease of setup. Your average person isn't going to do the work to figure out the AWS/Skill setup and feel comfortable setting up security certificates and whatnot. They just aren't. The average end user won't want to figure it out, and the average installer isn't going to want the liability of exposing his customers to the outside world on top of that. We absolutely needed a simpler mechanism, and none of those issues are going to go away with the Echo.

BTW, Jarvis could in theory take audio from anything. If I figured out how to deal with the calling issues, you could just as easily talk to Jarvis over a phone as via a microphone, or both.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
BTW, there is a thread on Reddit about Google Home the other day essentially doing a spoken advertisement. They claimed after the fact apparently that it really wasn't an ad, but it sounds like it was. We all know how Google makes their money. And none of these IoTs products really has a money making story. They are throwing things out there to try to see if they can get some traction and possibly get a dominant position. So who would be shocked if GH ultimately started giving you ads via voice? Maybe you would have to sign up for a monthly subscription to get rid of them or something. That would be completely in line with Google's business, whereas automation in and of itself isn't at all.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CQC and native Alexa (again) znelbok 5 1,613 09-27-2019, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Alexa Notifications EST 4 1,211 11-24-2018, 08:36 PM
  Alexa not working Ron Haley 4 1,855 07-24-2018, 03:47 PM
  Alexa can't load configuration mattheinrich 1 1,205 03-24-2018, 08:45 AM
  Alexa not working Ron Haley 6 2,707 03-03-2018, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Ron Haley
  Alexa 'Routines' Dean Roddey 3 1,571 12-19-2017, 09:51 AM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Alexa/Echo: AWS/Lambda config of myCQCHandler test fails KenC 8 4,942 09-27-2017, 07:55 PM
  Amazon email re Alexa interface? Ron Haley 5 3,621 03-14-2017, 02:40 PM
  Alexa Ron Haley 45 9,327 09-26-2016, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Ron Haley
  Alexa/Echo companion app jkmonroe 2 2,285 08-22-2016, 08:04 AM
Last Post: potts.mike