Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Video Widget
I looked up Bryan's and their faq says the URL should be:

rtsp://192.168.1.128:554/11

where of course the actual IP address is your camera's address.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
(03-18-2017, 04:00 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: I agree it's something that should be done. It's just going to be a big thing to bite off. So we have to bite off the other big things at the top of the list first. And of course other folks are screaming for other big bites as as well. So some prioritization will have to happen.

Seems like figuring out how to display an IP based camera should be an easy thing to accomplish.  They are all fairly standard at this point.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
It's easy if you use an existing program to do it. It's not easy if you have to create the program to do it. We need something tightly integrated into the IV for this. In theory, if DirectShow works, then it won't be terribly hard to create such a thing. I'm just trying to avoid having to dig into a large, third party sub-system to do it. If all it requires is an RTSP source filter, then it is easy and we already have the means to do it with the web widget. And maybe I can justify doing a specialized thing to do it, but I'd prefer not. It's not trivial since it has to be separate program that communicates with the IV to keep it positioned over the widget area. So, if the web widget works, then I'd prefer, at least in the short term, to stick to that. Me doing a separate thing wouldn't change anything. We'd still need the user to get a source filter installed to handle RTSP content.
Dean Roddey
Well, I got Bryan's camera. Looking around, it looks like the most likely, legitimate, non-scary, commercial quality option is from Unreal, the makers of Unreal Media Server. You have to pay for it though. It looks like I would have to create a special helper program, like the one we currently use for the web browser widget, which would specifically look for that filter, initialize it with the required initialization info, and then force a DirectShow graph to be built for it, and set it playing (after doing a bunch of other stuff to set up the video output and all that, none of which I know anything about at this point.)

So there's no magic bullet or anything. Apparently, just having the RTSP filter installed is not sufficient to let WMP play it, presumably because it must not understand how to initialize an RTSP source or something.

I installed their 'mixer' filter, which provided me with a simple GUI to do the things I'd have to do in code otherwise, just to test it, and it was able to successfully display the camera source using the correct initialization string (one of the steps I mentioned above.) Not in WMP or the browser, since as I mentioned above that still doesn't work, but in a little preview program that the mixer GUI brings up. But it's clearly all DirectShow stuff, so I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work if I wrote the required code.

We might have to check with them to see what the pricing is.
Dean Roddey
I sent them an email asking about pricing.
Dean Roddey
Oh well, they don't sell individual licenses, the company has to buy the license, and it's more than we can justify. So that one is out.
Dean Roddey
Dean,

Is there any open source software you could use? Isn't VLC in that category? 

A google search turned up this listing of RTSP related software: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/rtsp/implementations.html
I'm poking around in VLC currently. The fact that I've spent an hour and can't even figure out how to get the SDK files isn't a good sign. Or, more to the point, I've found many instructions, all of them wrong. I'm beginning to think I may have to actually get into building VLC myself in order to get the files needed.
Dean Roddey
This site has an open source rtsp client: Live555
Mark Stega
Dean, since I got you. Did you see my email requesting a license file for the next Pluckers?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Door locks and door video rhosch 24 5,387 11-07-2019, 12:35 PM
Last Post: rhosch
  New tutorial video Dean Roddey 2 1,648 11-27-2018, 07:15 PM
Last Post: ellisr63
  An idea for a new widget Dean Roddey 5 3,636 03-13-2017, 02:47 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Web browser widget Trioxide 7 4,609 02-25-2017, 06:30 AM
Last Post: Trioxide
  Security video with CQC bryanb 19 7,621 04-22-2016, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Slider Widget potts.mike 1 1,791 04-19-2016, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Field Incr/Decr Button Widget khill 15 6,508 05-17-2015, 01:04 PM
Last Post: dlmorgan999
  Overlay in an Overlay triggered by Widget Deane Johnson 4 3,159 11-09-2014, 10:29 AM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Load personal video files into repository? brathnach 7 4,165 05-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Last Post: wuench
  Set up a hardware DVD video library yarwoob 15 9,930 04-07-2013, 04:29 AM
Last Post: Bugman