Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RDP for remote UI using IV in iOS
With the loss of RIVA on new iOS devices where do we stand on alternatives? I have played with iOS RDP in the past but thought I'd chime in looking for experiences with the various available options. Any tips or tricks.

I'm going to start with RDP since I have a Windows server OS to work with. Which app to use is the question? My goal is to have a similar end user experience as with RIVA. Simple, automatic, fast reconnect, Touch control.     
  • UPDATE: Your best bet is Remotix RDP Kiosk. It's expensive $56 USD,┬ábut makes for a great mobile experience. Very similar to what we had with the CQC RIVA app. Setup correctly you can't even tell the difference.Runner up is Remote Desktop RDP Lite. This is much less expensive but you can't fully lock the screen and can't auto launch the server connection adding a click to the connection routine. I would say Remotix is a much better solution for a little extra cash!┬á┬á
What you want is to find one that will launch the connection to a specific server. Microsoft's RDP option does that on Android but not on iOS (as far as I have been able to work out).

Before MS released their app I used Mocha RDP with success but it does not offer the option of auto connecting to a server either.

For use as a touch device they are both fine. They do operate differently wrt dragging windows
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Ran into a bit of a problem. I cant seem to run two IV applications at the same time under different users. It works one or the other but not both. 

[Image: nPpXV5l.png]
You'll need to use different CQC accounts for the separate clients, since it's the CQC account name that's used to generate the path to the storage file. I'm assuming by different users above you meant different Windows accounts?
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
There is a hack to allow multiple RDP sessions on a Win7/10 machine. YOu need to run this and then you can have multiple instances simultaneously.

I use it with one of my clients to allow android using rdp to have an IV.

If I can get to my messages on the old forum I can find the name of it. Mark Stega knows what it is and a google search may find the solution for you.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Dean, yes that was the issue. I was using the same CQC user account on both instances. Running them as different CQC users fixed my problem.

UPDATE: Well I'm close. After what felt like an eternity of messing with two bit bs RDP apps I found the ticket. Mochca recommended by Znelbok was the cheapest/closest but I couldn't lock the screen properly and there was no auto launch server connection as mentioned. It would work but felt clumsy and not the level of detail I was looking for.  

What I found if your willing to pay $56 USD is Remotix RDP Kiosk (not sure what the android counter part is yet). It's perfect and looks the part. I really wanted something that was light on branding making the UI feel more like a native CQC app . It also has auto launching aka "kiosk mode" as well as a locked screen size and the ability to visibly remove the windows cursor from the screen.

Now my next problem is gestures. In RIVA I was able to send Nav commands using gestures to the app using HotKeys. Where can I find info on native IV gestures. Can someone point me in the right direction? How can I replicate the navigation in IV? I was using a single finger swipe up, down, left, and right to navigate the pages on an overlay on the template.

(01-01-2017, 01:43 PM)znelbok Wrote: There is a hack to allow multiple RDP sessions on a Win7/10 machine.  YOu need to run this and then you can have multiple instances simultaneously.

I use it with one of my clients to allow android using rdp to have an IV.

If I can get to my messages on the old forum I can find the name of it.  Mark Stega knows what it is and a google search may find the solution for you.

I'm using windows server 2012 it supports 2 administrative users connected at once by default. If I need more users I could license the server for more connections.
You shouldn't need to do anything to get gesture support. It will not be the smooth scrolling kind, but the page oriented flick type ones that you had on RIVA. The IV should see that machine as a non-multi-touch enabled client and just see touch inputs as mouse events which it will translate to pseudo gestures internally. If that RDP client tries to support multi-touch, you should probably disable that so that it just looks like a mouse. Multi-touch/smooth scrolling only really is practical on a Windows client.
Dean Roddey
Yes, that's what I want the flick type. In RIVA I used the HotKeys Nav left, Nav right, Nav up, and Nav down. Which doesn't seem to work in IV. I don't believe the app is using multi-touch. IV should just be seeing mouse movements but it's not triggering the gestures.
They wouldn't invoke any template based hot keys that you have defined. They would just directly operate on scrollable overlays and widgets with scrollable content and whatnot. So we may not be talking about the same thing here.
Dean Roddey
Crap, so I cant currently replicate what I had using RIVA? Could this be added? It's a very powerful means of navigation. Using the gestures keeps buttons off the navigation bars and makes it quick and easy to intuitively move around the system. Ironically it's the only thing that worked in RIVA after the new phones and the app bug that put me here. Losing this would really suck.. lack of a better word.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TTS and remote clients or speakers simplextech 10 3,541 02-01-2020, 07:58 PM
Last Post: simplextech
  Adding RF remote to CQC avtexan 2 2,969 03-30-2017, 02:46 AM
Last Post: Bugman
  Harmony Hub and touchscreen remote - $136 refurb at Newegg sic0048 0 2,030 03-22-2016, 03:39 PM
Last Post: sic0048
  CML Driver Development - Remote Box? Bugman 20 10,690 04-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Remote audio player Ron Haley 1 2,525 09-15-2010, 05:31 AM
Last Post: sic0048
  "Double Clicking" a file on a remote pc potts.mike 3 3,324 08-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  iPad control through Remote Desktop Zanthic 9 6,605 06-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Command to change overlay on a remote IV? robolo 7 4,421 10-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Last Post: robolo
  Interesting new remote from GlideTV CalypsoCowboy 0 1,596 10-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Last Post: CalypsoCowboy
  Remote driver failed to load. roygul 2 1,902 06-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Last Post: roygul