Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SSL certificate help
I should have been more specific - I browsed to the CQC-hosted web site on my server here at the house, and got a cert warning. That wasn't happening before. Also, I just did a regular Echo query and it worked okay. Can you remind me of the steps I need to take to tell CQC what certificate to use? That would be the quickest thing to try, I imagine.
The Echo issues are intermittent, so don't be surprised if you do have issues until they straighten it out, even if you take care of this issue.

Anyhoo, if you are doing a certificate for the Echo to get to you, then it's a publically stored certificate on the certificate vendor's system, so you shouldn't need to install anything on your own system. If you put it there, then it will cause issues because it's set up to match your public domain name (presumably some dynamic DNS type name), not the internal node name of your CQC server.

So if you installed it in Windows, just remove it would be the thing to do, if I'm understanding your setup correctly. It will be gotten to by clients going to the vendor's set, which presumably is set as a valid certificate authority on your machine if it was working before.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I take back my previous comment - I was doing an invalid test (trying to hit it from inside, even though I was using the outside URL). I had a friend try it, and the cert checked out. Hmm...

In any case, can you remind me where I can find the document you wrote up about adding SSL to CQC?
In 5.0 it's in the HTML help under Advanced Topics/Web Server Certificates. Oh, and I guess my comment above was not correct. The Private key certificate is on your certificate vendor's servers. You need to put the public certificate info into the Windows certificate repository. The two have to match so once the server changes his you have to change yours.
Dean Roddey
(02-28-2017, 05:51 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: The Echo issues are intermittent, so don't be surprised if you do have issues until they straighten it out, even if you take care of this issue.

Looks like you were right Dean.  It's working again (at least for the moment Wink ).  Sorry  for the false alarm.  All I can tell you is that I have been SO impressed and happy with the Echo support in CQC.  Since I got it set up a few months ago, I am using my tablets much less frequently as voice is easier, and much quicker, in most cases.  Your implementation with the local definition file is also very elegant (especially the fact that it always returns the first item in the list).  This functionality has really increased my enjoyment with and appreciation of CQC!  So I was going through a bit of withdrawal.  Big Grin
(02-28-2017, 06:03 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: In 5.0 it's in the HTML help under Advanced Topics/Web Server Certificates.

I presume you intended to have all the content that was in the previous document, but I just looked, and all I saw was this:

The CQC Web Server can accept security connections, both for HTTP and Websockets connections. However, in order to do, you must set up the appropriate security certificates to support this feature, and you have to set up the Web Server to enable security connections and tell it what certificates to use.

Did I look the wrong place?
Oops, I must not have ported that stuff yet. I'll add it to the list to do. I've actually spent the whole day doing documentation updates today, which is a super-exciting way to spend a day.
Dean Roddey
I can totally relate to that comment! Writing documentation is hard enough - keeping it up-to-date is even harder.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SSL Certificate Question gReatAutomation 1 463 10-26-2020, 07:48 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Certificate snafu Dean Roddey 1 303 09-02-2020, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  SSL certificate for HTTP trigger driver RichardU 7 3,308 01-16-2018, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey