Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Programmable Controllers?
Nothing is "plug and play", but you can pretty much get anything working with CQC. I use the harmony remote in my Den to control my A/V system which includes using CQC to change a lot of stuff.

For example, these universal remotes are designed to be programmed with every device entered into it. So if you have a Sony TV and a Integra receiver and a DVD player or streaming device, then you have to have all of those entered into the remote and the "watch DVD" macro will send a ton of IR commands to turn the TV on, set it to the right input, turn on the DVD player and receiver, set the receiver to the correct input/output, etc, etc, etc. It's likely that the total length of this start command is many seconds long. f you move the remote away from the IR receivers during this time, it is very likely that some of them won't be received properly and the system won't work as expected.

Instead, I have set my remotes to send a single command (usually a number using a TV that I don't own) to start these macros. I have the Harmony remote output it's IR signal via a IR blaster that is taped onto my USB-UIRT. The USB-UIRT is plugged into the computer and allows CQC to "read" any IR code. So when I want to start a DVD, the remote sends out a "Number 3" command that CQC picks up. When CQC receives a "Number 3" command, it triggers a whole set of commands to turn all my equipment on to watch a DVD. In the end, the result is the same, but the IR command is so much quicker the way I have it set up that it is nearly impossible to get a bad sequence.

Hopefully that makes sense. It's probably not how most people set up their universal remotes with their A/V system, but it has resulted in a much more reliable system.
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone

Messages In This Thread
Programmable Controllers? - by Darrie - 01-15-2022, 08:34 AM
RE: Programmable Controllers? - by znelbok - 01-15-2022, 02:19 PM
RE: Programmable Controllers? - by Darrie - 01-16-2022, 03:15 PM
RE: Programmable Controllers? - by Bugman - 01-21-2022, 09:25 AM
RE: Programmable Controllers? - by Shaky - 01-16-2022, 05:07 PM
RE: Programmable Controllers? - by kblagron - 01-16-2022, 11:30 PM
RE: Programmable Controllers? - by Bugman - 01-21-2022, 09:30 AM
RE: Programmable Controllers? - by sic0048 - 01-27-2022, 01:04 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lutron Caseta Add Fan and Shade Controllers bryanb 1 895 11-29-2020, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Zwave Scene Controllers and User Actions potts.mike 19 6,582 08-28-2015, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Working zWave Master Controllers that sync to CQC? IVB 8 2,109 11-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Squintz