Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
User Action on ZWave Keypad
As I was saying previously, scene controllers report changes in scene, not button presses. So until the scene changes, it won't send anything. Because these guys are actually toggles, they don't necessarily work well with that. If you toggle button 1 on, it sends (assuming scene 1 wasn't already set.) If you toggle button 2 on, it'll send one for 2. But, because they are toggles, you have turn 1 off because you can turn it on again.

This is different from how scene controllers in Z-wave are supposed to work, hence all of the confusion all around. They used a kludge to make it work differently from what it's supposed to. So the driver doesn't know how to deal with that because it assumes standard Z-Wave scene functionality, where they aren't toggles, just each button invokes a scene and that's it.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
ok, i still dont really understand.

i press button 1 - i get my user action
i press button 1 again (the off) - nothing happens, this is expected
i press button 1 a third time (back to on) - nothing happens, this is unexpected

i would expect button 1, on its third press, to send the user action again, right?

i mean, assuming im using this as nothing but a scene controller through zwave, i press 1 for on, 1 for off, then can turn 1 on again.
Because you didn't change scenes. The user action is reporting a change in scene, not button presses. It won't send another one until you change the scene. What you did is no different, on a standard scene controller, than just pushing scene 1 twice, which shouldn't have any effect since scene 1 was already in force.

Since it sends two msgs for every button on press, that's probably a good thing, else you'd do every action twice.
Dean Roddey
ok, but thats not how this device works. the cooper can, with zwave, have all 5 *different* scenes running simultaneously. i could have scenes 1 and 3 on at the same time. this is the big difference between Leviton and Cooper.

i guess you were right about functionality, because the wife is never going to let this fly. id have to use (x/2)-1 buttons for anything functional.

which is a shame, because these keypads would be HUGELY useful. what would I need to get in order to gain this functionality? Insteon or UPB? or maybe a different zwave keypad?
They implemented an ad hoc kludge to do that, which is specific to their stuff, so you'd have to have product specific code to deal with it. It's not Z-Wave's definition of how a scene controller works, and the driver just understands standard Z-Wave scene controllers.

There are other ones that, AFAIK, do work in the standard way. The only one so far that we have support in place for already (which I think someone has already tested) is the Leviton VRCS4. It's just a standard Z_Wave scene controller, and should just send out a scene command each time you press one of the buttons. They have some others I think in that same VRCSx family.
Dean Roddey
does that leviton do what is desired? push for on, push for off sends 2 commands?

and holy hell are they expensive.
There is no off for Z-Wave scenes. There's just scene activation. If you go back and read that long Homeseer thread you found, he talks about that. Anything beyond that is something ad hoc and product specific. So standard Z-Wave scene controllers just send a scene activation message when you press one of the buttons. The driver is further suppressing reporting multiple scene activations for the same scene in a row, only reporting changes.

We could allow for an option to allow a given one to send all button presses by just not checking for the last scene set. For one like the 5 button we were just working on, that wouldn't be a good thing because of the fact that it seems to send two messages for every press. But, for those that do the normal thing and just send out a single msg, those could have an option to always report presses.
Dean Roddey
jkmonroe Wrote:ok, i still dont really understand.

i press button 1 - i get my user action
i press button 1 again (the off) - nothing happens, this is expected
i press button 1 a third time (back to on) - nothing happens, this is unexpected

i would expect button 1, on its third press, to send the user action again, right?

i mean, assuming im using this as nothing but a scene controller through zwave, i press 1 for on, 1 for off, then can turn 1 on again.

Given that it sounds like the scene thing is an MFG extension beyond z-wave standards could you make one of the buttons "Off" such that regardless of what "scene" is activated you could turn off whatever is on? Uses up a button and a little less intuitive but might get you there...
yeh, that could work. ill give it a go.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on ZWave & RadioRA2 Multi-Gang and CQC gReatAutomation 1 1,182 01-31-2020, 01:18 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  ZWave / Add all devices or just as you need them? gReatAutomation 2 1,311 09-16-2019, 01:42 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Where's the Action Editor? Deane Johnson 4 1,836 07-30-2019, 02:50 PM
  ZWave integration frustrations kjaerligkatt 166 40,456 01-03-2019, 05:29 AM
Last Post: kjaerligkatt
  zWave, how I hate thee. need to redo network IVB 23 8,110 12-01-2018, 11:35 PM
Last Post: IVB
  USB ZWave Controller Configuration bobskie708 6 5,968 11-30-2017, 04:07 PM
  delete zwave devices? jkmonroe 8 5,117 05-23-2016, 08:46 AM
  connecting a zWave relay IVB 3 3,378 02-20-2016, 03:13 PM
Last Post: IVB
  zwave device configuration jkmonroe 75 27,009 12-31-2015, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  ISY zWave controller IVB 4 4,398 06-21-2015, 09:21 AM