Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Log size
It shouldn't be unknown, it should be showing the host where the message came from.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
If we are talking logging, then please dont forget what Rohan proposed about a year ago.

Also, I would like to see logging to a file and filtering.

Basically, set the filter up to say only log driver XYZ entries, select a file to log to (text file) and then a duration. This could be expanded to allow the driver logging level to be changed here as well.

Along with the extended verbosity, this would make looking for those random log entries much easier.

It would also mean that a pro installer could set the log file up in a location that the user could have access to and then they could easily e-mail it to them, or it could be e-mail on a regular basis.

There are also many log reading programs out there - I think it is sort of a standard without being a standard.

Another option that I see with my firewall is to log to a log server, which is a dedicated logging machine (could be part of an existing server). A cheap PC could be used as a logging server.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that logging has been done extensively in other products, especially those products in the SCADA area and other monitoring applications that I don't think the wheel needs to be re-invented, just use some of the proven concepts out there already.

I do get frustrated with the current logs to the point where I just give up now and live with the errors. Its only if there is a really big problem that I use the logs.

My 2 cents anyway.

Mick
I noticed today that in the Admin IF, view log panel, the time stamp shown in the "Item Details" box doesn't show AM/PM, and it isn't in "24 hour clock time" either.

I loaded a driver at 12:56:27 this morning. A little while later, the time stamp on a subsequent log entry shows 01:37:01. Both show the same date (today). The most recent entry shows today at 05:56:04.

Shouldn't it either show 05:56:04PM or 17:56:04? The log server monitor display shows the latter, i.e., 24 hour clock time.

Ira
Yeh, it should be 24 hour. I'll fix that.
Dean Roddey
I still have the original problem for this thread...unable to view more than 81 log entries in the Admin IF with the max set at 256...but it's even more wierd than that.

Here are what the various max settings give me...

16 -- 17
32 -- 33
64 -- 49
128 -- 65
256 -- 81

Does anyone else get the same/similar results?

Also, what about the truncated log entries?

Ira
A number of these things have been dealt with and will be in the next beta drop.
Dean Roddey
Found what I was looking for.

Ira
I just posted a 3.0.12 version. The issues related to this thread that were addressed in this new drop are:
  • The log query dialog is showing times in 12 hour instead of 24 hour as it should.
  • The log query dialog is not calculating the correct number of items to retrieve based on the selection in the combo box.
  • Add a 512 items option on the log query diaog in the admin interface, for when folks want to get more than the previous limit of 256 items.
  • The log monitor window is not correctly showing the host name. There was an assumption that the host name would be a domain based name. If not, it wouldn't understand it and would show <Unknown>.
  • Display the date in the log monitor along with the time.
Dean Roddey
Cool. Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Increase Size of Context Screens gReatAutomation 1 209 10-04-2019, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  New construction with a nice size budget. How would you do multizone audio? ghurty 7 2,352 03-27-2018, 02:12 PM
  Request: Field Browser name column size increase dgage 1 1,426 03-21-2015, 07:39 PM
  Request for increase in attachment size for forum uploads kfly 2 1,003 10-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Last Post: kfly
  Limited on new template size Roscoe62 2 863 06-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Last Post: Roscoe62
  Size Limit for Media Item Browser jrlewis 15 3,288 01-10-2010, 04:21 AM
Last Post: jrlewis
  Media Browser image size ellisr63 1 810 12-15-2008, 09:29 PM
  Screen size and resolution Austride 2 1,415 09-25-2008, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Austride