Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Env01 not work
[quote]I'm thinkin' I was getting confused with running 2 IV's in the same session as opposed to multiple on 1 machine because folks are obviously doing it. It just gets jumbled in my brain sometimes. Someone needs to correct me when I'm typing nonsense.[/quote

Well, you can to run more than one on the same physical machine if you are using RDP, because that lets you run multiple user sessions. The limitation is really one per user session. However, the ports are not virtualized for thsee sessions so you can't have a program on the same port in two separate sessions.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I was asked to explain what I was trying to do and how I was able to accomplish it so here it is.
I have my CQC server which I have my IV running on my big screen TV. I also have my Nokia N800 which I RDP into the same server. I wanted to be able to open overlays using the CQC Interface Viewer driver to a specific IV based on who is logged in. I could tell who was logged in no problem for the IV but was also using triggered actions which couldn't tell as it does not see the user environment variables of the computer, only the system. So the 1st task was to be able to tell which system I was on, the server or Nokia. As I have a different IV template for the Nokia I created 2 variables: CQC-LoggedIn and Nokia-LoggedIn. Then when the IV is opened the template writes to that variable and sets it True. I also have the Exit button set the variable to False when the IV is closed. Now I know who is logged in or not. (There could be a problem if the IV closes abnormally or if my Nokia loses connection and then the variable would not get changed.)
The next step was getting an overlay to open in a specific IV. I did this by changing the center-overlay, the Overlay Widget name, on the Nokia template to Nokia-center-overlay. I also created 2 instances of the CQC Interface Viewer driver. Now I load the overlay by using 1 instance of the driver and center-overlay and can also open an overlay on the other IV with the other instance of the driver and Nokia-center-overlay.
Now I don't know if it matters or not but I also put the /Port= command on opening both IVs but with different ports.
But let me ask a few questions. First, you still have to have two separate set of templates that you are keeping correct? Those for the Nokia and those for the server. You just wanted to load the Nokia templates when using the Nokia, etc.

Why not simply have the Nokia template load by default for the Nokia User (using the load template feature for each specific CQC user). Then the Nokia templates could continue to call just the Nokia templates while the server templates would only call the server templates.

It seems to me that you have added an extra layer of complication using this method and all the command structure that you must have had to build into the templates.

I could understand the fuss if it would allow you to maintain just one set of templates somehow, but it doesn't sound like you will be able to do this anyway.

I'm not trying to second guess what you are doing, I'm just trying to understand it. If it ends up being a better method of doing things, I'd like to know in case I ever need to implement something similar on my set up.

Thanks,
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
So Mark asked me something via e-mail that prompted some thoughts that people should probably be aware of.

The connection between the IV control driver and the IV is via our ORB. So you give the IV a port to use, and he sets himself up as a server on the ORB and registers under a specific binding in the name server so that others can find him who care. The driver always looks for the binding for his local host, so the driver only will talk to an IV on the same machine.

There's only one binding, but because of the nature of ORBs and networks, there's no exclusivity. So if you run an IV over here via this RDP session, it'll come up and register itself. If you then go run it via another RDP session, it'll come up and register itself and overwrite the other guy's binding. So it'll now get all the commands.

The other guys is now locked out. But, if you now stop the IV on the second machine, it will unbind itself. But, because the programs are regularly renewing their bindings (because if the MS were to cycle we need the system to heal itself fairly quickly), within 30 seconds or so the original one is going see that his binding went away and re-register it, so it'll then be back in the saddle again.

So, just by happenstance, it's possible that it could seem that two IVs are actually working via the same control driver, though only one if them is ever actually working at once. And it's not behaviour that you should depend on working that way either, it's just a side effect of the way things work now.
Dean Roddey
sic0048 Wrote:Why not simply have the Nokia template load by default for the Nokia User (using the load template feature for each specific CQC user). Then the Nokia templates could continue to call just the Nokia templates while the server templates would only call the server templates.

I do have it setup that way. But I am using the CQC Interface Viewer driver to open overlays when the command is not in the current template. I also use that driver to open overlays that are triggered from motion on my cameras. So this is where the confusion was and the work around is what I described above. I tried to make is as simple as possible, especially since I had to change my overlays also.

Dean: are you saying that I could have problems still with having both IVs open?
Trioxide Wrote:I do have it setup that way. But I am using the CQC Interface Viewer driver to open overlays when the command is not in the current template. I also use that driver to open overlays that are triggered from motion on my cameras. So this is where the confusion was and the work around is what I described above. I tried to make is as simple as possible, especially since I had to change my overlays also.

OK - that makes perfect sense, even for me! Now I understand why you had to go to all this trouble. If it were simply command buttons calling up new overlays and templates, you could do it relatively simply just by calling the correct template. But since you are trying to get overlays and templates to come up without user input, this is when it gets sticky.

Sorry to sound so dense, it just wasn't clicking with me.

Thanks for answering all my questions.
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
Quote:Dean: are you saying that I could have problems still with having both IVs open?

Not with them both open, but with both of them having a /Port=xxx option so that they register to be controlled remotely. If only one of them is using the /Port=xxx option, then you are OK.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:Not with them both open, but with both of them having a /Port=xxx option so that they register to be controlled remotely. If only one of them is using the /Port=xxx option, then you are OK.

I really think you're going to need to eventually find a way to register multiple IVs on a single box. With quad-core systems now available for under $700 (dell xps 420, refurb); and people using AirPanels, Nokias, and other RDP-based solutions, plus things like RadIO, I think that being able to control a specific instance is the next step after being able to control one instance.

I could be as simple as putting a name or port number in the driver side, no?
Yeh, it's on the list. They'd have to provide a port and a binding name. Then the driver would need to be told the binding name.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leviton VRUSB owners: Does it work? IVB 30 10,882 07-13-2015, 09:25 AM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Sony DVP-CX777ES doesn't work Andre 10 5,163 02-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Andre
  Just installed 4.0 now SNMP doesn't work? SamVimes2 9 4,371 09-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Will CQC work for me? programmergeek 7 3,168 06-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Last Post: LesAuber
  Will this work as server? optix 3 2,352 12-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Last Post: sic0048
  j river media center 13 work with cqc? pjwinstalls 0 1,318 06-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Last Post: pjwinstalls
  What UPB switches work best with CQC/ELK flik 4 2,149 03-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Last Post: robolo
  How to configure seperate sage server to work with cqc server rajeevc 2 1,956 01-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Last Post: SomeWhatLost
  Anyone make/sell templetes as cool as these that would work with CQC personalt 8 3,283 11-02-2008, 03:52 AM
Last Post: Mark Stega
  How to work with Image Packs RHT 3 1,914 08-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey