Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community
Eventghost able to Ping device out of network - Printable Version

+- Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Installation/Configuration (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Eventghost able to Ping device out of network (/showthread.php?tid=9492)

Pages: 1 2

Eventghost able to Ping device out of network - EST - 09-19-2015

I am using EG to ping my wifes iPhone and trigger an event to say if she is home or away and then automate off of that. Everything is working fine. What I am finding is confusing to me but someone may be able to explain it.

How can EG be able to Ping my wifes phone (was also able to ping my S6) when offline? I confirmed with an IP scanner and was able to find both phones on there when off network. I am not a network guru but I thought if a static IP is connected on the network then it is pingable, if it's off network (either by turning it's WiFi off or out of the area) then it is not pingable.

What I am doing is this:
EG pings phone...detected or lost.
Sends event to CQC which triggers a countdown timer (avoid these false pings)
When that CD Timer reaches 0 then it fires my automation which right now is just a text message. I have the CD timer at 20min b/c these false pings.

Eventghost able to Ping device out of network - Dean Roddey - 09-19-2015

I'm not sure how that would be happening, though I just went through a bunch of hoops wrt to our socking pinging support. You might consider moving over to the Network monitor driver to do this kind of thing, if that's all you are using EG for now, and get rid of a moving part.

I guess one possibility is that it's actually the SIP server (that handles forwarding and such) that's responding. It may be indicating that it's there since it does respond to that address to accept messages? Once the SIP (or whatever setup protocol used) is done, then the two sides talk to each other directly. So are you sure you are using her direct address, and not something that might be handled by the carrier/ISPs SIP (or equivalent) server?

Eventghost able to Ping device out of network - jkmonroe - 09-19-2015

see if clearing your arp caches will fix it.

Eventghost able to Ping device out of network - Dean Roddey - 09-19-2015

If it's truly doing a ping, I don't think that would matter, right? A successful ping would require a response to come back from the other side.

Eventghost able to Ping device out of network - jkmonroe - 09-19-2015

sort of. it should NOT actively reply to ping, but it WILL show up in a network scan since the entry still resides in ARP.

that's why he can see it when he does an ip scan. i dont know how EG works, but it's not out of the realm of possibility it replies true off the arp cache.

Eventghost able to Ping device out of network - EST - 09-24-2015

I tried everything. Dumped the ARP cache multiple times and no luck. I believe it is using the Ping from Win 7. I even used the command line Ping in Win 7 and it didn't find it while EG did. Strange. EG works great when the phone is alive at home but it does this ghosting when it's not there. Maybe that's why EG gots it name!

Anyway, I am trying the Network monitor. I think I tried this in the past but it didn't work when the iphone is at home but not being used. I am testing it out on my phone (Samsung) and my kids ipod (Old iPhone) today.

Eventghost able to Ping device out of network - wuench - 09-24-2015

It shouldn't work. There must be something buggy in EG's pinger. You could try to write a ping script and launch that with EG. EG is based on python so you could lookup if there are issues with a python library.

The problem I had with the IPhone was actually the opposite, it would sleep and go off network. Back in the day. With Android I use tasker to push events to CQC. Tasker is the primary reason I left the Iphone behind...

Eventghost able to Ping device out of network - EST - 09-24-2015

That's why I went to Android too. So far, using Network monitor, it is finding my S6 when it's asleep and the iphone/ipod. Will keep monitoring if it works the way I want but so far so good. I have stopped EG for now.

Eventghost able to Ping device out of network - jkmonroe - 09-24-2015

what router/switch/ap do you have?

Eventghost able to Ping device out of network - Dean Roddey - 09-24-2015

Note that the ping stuff wasn't always completely reliable until a couple 4.7.n drops ago, so you'd need to be on 4.7.17 or beyond to get the most recent work on that, which appears to be solid.