Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community
New Amazon Echo Support - Printable Version

+- Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CQC Support (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: New Amazon Echo Support (/showthread.php?tid=9423)

New Amazon Echo Support - Dean Roddey - 11-01-2015

Deane Johnson Wrote:I assume there is a proper way to make an html file that I don't know about?

Just use Notepad is fine. Create one with contents like this:

<html><body>Hello, World</body></html>

That should be fine. It should just show Hello Word when you load it.

New Amazon Echo Support - Sendero - 11-01-2015

Dean Roddey Wrote:The reason I asked is that wuench hasn't been able to get it to work without having the proxy at all. He can't directly connect. So I'm wondering what's different with your setup.

wuench - Have you tested out just making a direct https call to your CQC webserver? That was the first thing I had to get working and initially my certificate was wrong. I created a new one using startssl and a sub-domain (alexa.mydomain.com) and then ensured that I could connect to https://alexa.mydomain.com and get the cqc provided 404. Once I got that I knew my ssl was all setup. I then just had to update the javascript at Amazon to use new hostname and things worked for me from there.

New Amazon Echo Support - Deane Johnson - 11-01-2015

So, I took a break to watch the Cowboys game. Gave me time to think a bit. Since I want to tie this back to the issues I have been having with CenturyLink, I decided that I should delete the port forwarding and reinstall it. You guessed where we're going didn't you. It instantly started working.

I'm really thinking that I'm being forced to dump CenturyLink and go back to Cox. I think I've proven over and over that having my network at the mercy of Century Link is asking for trouble, and I've certainly been getting it.

I know it's possible to use a secondary router for the network, tied back to the CenturyLink router, but I don't like that idea. It still leaves me at the mercy of Century Link on the top layer. Not being a programmer, I think I prefer the simplest approach possible to getting the job done.

I've spent hours recently fighting issues that alway seem to tie back to the CenturyLink router. My new CL router has the modem, the router, and the transmitter for the wireless TV distribution all in one box. That's a lot eggs in one basket and it's easy to get one of them broken.

New Amazon Echo Support - Sendero - 11-02-2015

Deane Johnson Wrote:I know it's possible to use a secondary router for the network, tied back to the CenturyLink router, but I don't like that idea. It still leaves me at the mercy of Century Link on the top layer. Not being a programmer, I think I prefer the simplest approach possible to getting the job done.

I've spent hours recently fighting issues that alway seem to tie back to the CenturyLink router. My new CL router has the modem, the router, and the transmitter for the wireless TV distribution all in one box. That's a lot eggs in one basket and it's easy to get one of them broken.

My system is actually setup with a secondary router. On my FIOS router I have left its WIFI enabled as my 'guest' network with its own password. My Asus router behind that is my real router. I configured the FIOS router with a DMZ host (forwarding all ports) to my Asus router. Then I have direct control of the Asus. I'll likely be changing things up soon as I'm looking to get some Ubiquity APs & Edge router soon, but this setup with my FIOS router using the DMZ setup to my ASUS has worked well for a couple years now.

New Amazon Echo Support - kfly - 02-15-2016

Echo seems to work very well with CQC although a little complicated to setup. Hopefully Amazon will add some kind of macros so I can say "Alexa, open blinds" instead of "Alexa, tell control to turn blinds off"

At least now I have a reliable voice control for CQC. Thanks Dean.

New Amazon Echo Support - IVB - 02-15-2016

I used an analogy to train wife/kids on this. I told them that what they used to use CQC screens to do, they can use the echo to do. Generally I'm only keeping lights as direct access via echo, so everything else is "Alexa, ask Jarvis to ...".

I'm finding that using that mentality they get it, and is easier to remember. Plus with the kid being a Marvel fan it immediately clicked for her, which has a halo effect on the wife/other kid.

New Amazon Echo Support - Dean Roddey - 02-15-2016

I used one of their 'tell us what you need' type inquiries to argue that there should be an option for users to hard code their Echo for a single skill so that there's no need to for the extra verbiage (though at the cost of only supporting a single skill, no built in stuff could be supported.) It makes perfect sense and is probably one of the easier things that could be done, but I doubt they will do it, given that they probably somehow think they are going to take over the whole automation world themselves (as do many companies these days.)

New Amazon Echo Support - jkmonroe - 02-19-2016

you know, even something like "Talk to Nest" would be pretty cool. i don't know how they did it, but this is how you invoke that skill:

"Alexa, Talk to Nest."

"OK, what would you like to say to Nest?"

"Turn the heat up."

so break that down to our skill work, like "Alexa, Talk to Jarvis." and then you can speak like normal. "Turn the living room light on" and so on ...

i have the skill loaded up, so maybe i can see the code for how they're doing it? dunno if it's something worth considering or not.

New Amazon Echo Support - IVB - 02-19-2016

Speaking entirely only about my household, which I acknowledge isn't normal in most senses.

My wife/kids are now used to "Alexa, ask Jarvis to <command>". I explained it to my neighbors saying that we're not sufficiently high caste to speak directly to the house, but we are able to talk to his administrative assistant.

Heck, i'm tempted to setup 32 additional voice commands for lights on/off so we never have to ask Alexa to do something, we always ask Alexa to ask Jarvis to do something. I'm not going to due to performance, but it would provide 100% consistency.

New Amazon Echo Support - jkmonroe - 02-19-2016

you're right that it should be consistent, but who's to say that there can't be two?

Smile