Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community
New Amazon Echo Support - Printable Version

+- Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CQC Support (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: New Amazon Echo Support (/showthread.php?tid=9423)

New Amazon Echo Support - Dean Roddey - 10-12-2015

BTW, also watch the video blog on the first page of this thread. It's not exactly the same as what you will see now since things have changed a bit since that was made, but it may help you out to see some of it being done.

New Amazon Echo Support - Deane Johnson - 10-12-2015

As I was going through this over and over I noted that I had called the Skill simply CQC, but the Intent referred to it as CQCRun. I made a new skill with that name.

Now I get a new error message which I actually regard as progress:

"Request Identifier: amzn1.echo-api.request.f3ee44eb-a256-41bf-acd2-705ab8ee4361 There was a problem communicating with the requested application"

I'm believing that means it's having trouble reaching CQC on my end and I think I know why.

My port 80 is taken by port forwarding for my WD RAID Duo external hard drive where I store all of my documents for all computer systems. For this reason, I had port forwarded to 13514 which seems to be the default CQC port according to the setup screen. I'm thinking it doesn't like that port forwarding choice.

Any thoughts on how to get out of this dilemma. The WD RAID is critical to my business function so cannot be out of service.

Don't use the 13xxx ports. Those are for internal use by CQC. If you have something blasting stuff to those ports you going to cause all kinds of problems. The Web Server's HTTP oriented ports are what you want, which are usually 80 (and 443 for secure connections.)

If you have something on that machine already using port 80, then set up the CQC Web Server to use something else. 8080 is a common alternative. Just run the installer again, select Fully Custom Install mode, click over to the web server page, and change the ports to something else. Be sure to update your Javascript to whatever port you ended up using, and make sure that port is forwarded.

BTW, it doesn't matter what you call it. CQC or CQCRun, it doesn't make any difference. But you do need to get the right port exposed.

New Amazon Echo Support - bbrendon - 10-12-2015

Deane Johnson Wrote:Unfortunately, after messing with this for about 12 hours Sunday, and more again today, I've concluded it's too complex for a non-programmer to deal with.

There are countless places where things can go wrong, and without the ability to understand the error messages, there's no forward movement possible. I can even get it past the AWS test button stage.

So, it's back to being happy just asking Echo the time and temperature.:-(
I'll agree it was surprisingly harder to setup than expected. It really needs a video guide. I Found this which helped a LOT.

http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=12151

I must have made some progress with the 8080 move. The new error message would tell me that Echo was getting much further into CQC:

"SessionSpeechlet - The CQC configuration file could not be loaded. Please contact your CQC administrator."

One of the things that concerns me about the configuration file is the proper .txt configuration. I'm not sure I know how to get the sample verbiage into a proper text file for this purpose.

You've almost got it. That just means that either the file isn't in the right place, has the wrong name, or it has an error in it. The logs will probably give more info.

Dean Roddey Wrote:You've almost got it. That just means that either the file isn't in the right place, has the wrong name, or it has an error in it. The logs will probably give more info.
I'm pretty sure it's in the right place. I found the string of folders that matched the example you provided, added the Echo folder to it, then made a text file which I saved to the Echo folder.

The extension bothers me. It shows as a "OpenDocument Text" rather than just .txt . When I tried to save as a txt file, it warned me that all formatting would be lost.

There must be a simple way to get this from the PDF to the proper type file.

BTW, where are these logs?

You may be best off to just type in the text. It's not a lot and that insures that it doesn't get mangled by copying it from the PDF. Just start up notepad, type in the text, then do Save, and save it to the appropriate place.

Oh, and I meant to add, the logs are the CQC logs. Bring up the CQC Log Monitor and watch it and see what pops up when you do the load configuration command.

Dean Roddey Wrote:Oh, and I meant to add, the logs are the CQC logs. Bring up the CQC Log Monitor and watch it and see what pops up when you do the load configuration command.
In clicking on the "Query" button, it shows the upgrade this afternoon to 4.8. In that string of Items, there are 3 in the color brown that say "No Echo config file was found". I don't know if that refers to the loading of 4.8 or me messing with the Echo. I don't remember.

However, I just did the Echo Load Configuration with Alexa and each time the same brown message appeared on the bottom of the log.

Obviously something is amuck with the Echo Config file as we suspected. I'm not surprised. I think I don't know how to properly put the file together.

I find it interesting that Alexa is also verbally telling me to contact the CQC administrator as well as it showing up printed in the Echo App.