Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community
New Amazon Echo Support - Printable Version

+- Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CQC Support (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: New Amazon Echo Support (/showthread.php?tid=9423)

New Amazon Echo Support - Dean Roddey - 08-17-2015

There shouldn't be any leading space on it. That might be my problem. I'll look at it.

New Amazon Echo Support - kblagron - 08-18-2015

Quote:Originally Posted by Dean Roddey
. And you'll need to get the certificate from an authority that Amazon's servers recognize.

How do you know what the Amazon servers recognize? I am using a WHS supplied certificate from "Go Daddy". I looked and couldn't determine whether that was valid short of trying it.

New Amazon Echo Support - LesAuber - 08-18-2015

Sorry guys, I'm waiting for the idiots guide. Seemed like the thing to do as opposed to just hoping one was too small to bother hacking. On a good day I might be able to load the certificate into windows. Goes downhill from there.

A quick search turned up providers that Amazon would probably recognize, Symantec/Verisign for $$$$ and others that the price was right but I've never remotely heard of. No idea of how to verify with Amazon.

The other part I was a bit disappointed to see after reading through all this was the very stilted command syntax. In seeing that a remote server was used for the heavy lifting I was hoping for something resembling the better voice recognition systems. Have you called into FedEx recently? Last time for me I wasn't sure if I was talking to a machine or a person at first. Rather different than most of my requests of Siri. Confronted with this I can see the average visitor walking over and flipping the light switch as opposed to trying to remember how to say turn on the lights.

New Amazon Echo Support - wuench - 08-18-2015

kblagron Wrote:How do you know what the Amazon servers recognize? I am using a WHS supplied certificate from "Go Daddy". I looked and couldn't determine whether that was valid short of trying it.

There is a link on the Amazon developer website under publishing that leads to a Mozilla CA list. So it sounds like they will support anything Mozilla will support. StartSSL was on that list.

But yeah trying it is your best bet. The FQDN DNS name must match the name on the cert. So it has to be a public DNS name.

New Amazon Echo Support - Dean Roddey - 08-18-2015

LesAuber Wrote:The other part I was a bit disappointed to see after reading through all this was the very stilted command syntax. In seeing that a remote server was used for the heavy lifting I was hoping for something resembling the better voice recognition systems. Have you called into FedEx recently? Last time for me I wasn't sure if I was talking to a machine or a person at first. Rather different than most of my requests of Siri. Confronted with this I can see the average visitor walking over and flipping the light switch as opposed to trying to remember how to say turn on the lights.

I don't think it's an issue with voice recognition, but an issue of how do you deal with the fact that many things may be connected and responding to requests, and insure that the right request gets to the right handler. If there was only one single thing listening, then it gets easier, and of course the built in stuff that the Echo supports has a simpler syntax because they can assume anything not specifically targeting a particular handler is there, so they don't need the "tell control to" or "ask control if" bits for their only internally supported functions. But, as soon as you allow another one, you have to disambiguate the handler and the syntax immediately gets less natural.

Presumably using something like a Kinect locally does not have that issue?

Comparing it to a phone answering system isn't really fair though. The phone system is extremely limited in comparison. It's watching for known responses or response patterns that can be fixed up front. And everything it says can be pre-generated for maximum quality and natural speech flow (possibly with some replacement tokens thrown in to say back to you something you selected.)

New Amazon Echo Support - LesAuber - 08-18-2015

I don't know if Kinect is the same or not. If it's completely local it would be my preference, however. Maybe it comes from being an old dog but having everything go out to the cloud just goes against the grain.

Comparing to a phone answering system may be a little unfair but I mentioned the FedEx system as it stood out. Most of those things have me wanting to scream by the time I'm finished and that's with a limited selection of responses available. Just can't be good for business.

Still curious about the accuracy. With Siri I run at maybe 50%. The car is more like 0%. And that is with a limited number of possible actions. I do recognize the need for some special command syntax. Can't have the thing performing random actions from a conversation on the TV for instance. It just sounded more than a bit arcane. "Hey Alexa, tell control to set lighting to on" versus "Computer, lights". And it would be a plus if it sounded like Majel Barrett.

New Amazon Echo Support - Dean Roddey - 08-18-2015

As of the latest stuff, you can do it somewhat more naturally, such as:

Alexa, tell control to turn the lights on
Alexa, tell control to turn on the lights

New Amazon Echo Support - kblagron - 08-18-2015

Now that I am up and running, I have it working pretty good with a global actions and training the device based on what Echo is hearing. Haven't been doing a lot, but can now ask what the temperatures are in areas of the house or outside, plus I have been able to get it to turn on DirecTV and set the stations, etc. Plus a few WAF's where I ask who is the Prettiest or the Most Beautiful. :-)

New Amazon Echo Support - kblagron - 08-19-2015

A couple of issues in my testing:

I am still seeing the LVar:CQCActParm_2 and now the LVar:CQCActParm_3 requiring a space in front of it in the global actions IF commands to get it to run.

I can get the command "Alexa, Tell Control to Turn Direct TV Off" to work.
No luck on the command "Alexa, Tell Control to Turn off Direct TV"

New Amazon Echo Support - Dean Roddey - 08-19-2015

Oh, the intents for off/on assume a 'the' before the thing. So "turn off the Lights." If you take these three lines in the intent utterances:

CQCSetOffIntent turn off the {Volume|Target}
CQCSetOffIntent turn off the {Ceiling Fan|Target}
CQCSetOffIntent turn off the {Front Porch Light|Target}

And paste them back in to make new copies of them, and remove the 'the' from them so you get this:

CQCSetOffIntent turn off {Volume|Target}
CQCSetOffIntent turn off {Ceiling Fan|Target}
CQCSetOffIntent turn off {Front Porch Light|Target}

And do the same for the 'on' variants, and save your changes, then your version should work. Give it a try and see. If so I'll update the first thread with those changes.