Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community
New Amazon Echo Support - Printable Version

+- Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CQC Support (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: New Amazon Echo Support (/showthread.php?tid=9423)

New Amazon Echo Support - Bugman - 08-04-2015

monetteboy Wrote:Looking for some suggestions...

When telling echo to load the config file it responds saying the CQC config file couldn't be loaded and to contact the CQC admin.

I can see the skill in the amazon portal and if I ask echo "ask control" it responds with the welcome to CQC message.

I placed a test html file on the webserver and it loads from outside the LAN so the webserver port appears to be open and responding.

Any tips on where to look next?

Check the logs and see what's coming in from the Amazon server. Other than that it might be an issue with the actual config file action/macro path you are using e.g. perhaps it's not picking up your keywords in the config file.

If found that if anything fails in the Action called it will issue that response. I would start with a really simple action to make sure everything works.

New Amazon Echo Support - Dean Roddey - 08-04-2015

If it says the config file couldn't be loaded, then that's generally really what it means. The file probably has a syntax error of some sort. Check the logs to see what is going wrong.

New Amazon Echo Support - potts.mike - 08-04-2015

Bugman Wrote:Check the logs and see what's coming in from the Amazon server. Other than that it might be an issue with the actual config file action/macro path you are using e.g. perhaps it's not picking up your keywords in the config file.

If found that if anything fails in the Action called it will issue that response. I would start with a really simple action to make sure everything works.

I had this and had named the file echoconfig.txt rather than echocfg.txt

New Amazon Echo Support - monetteboy - 08-05-2015

potts.mike Wrote:I had this and had named the file echoconfig.txt rather than echocfg.txt

I misread your post at first and thought the file needed to be named "echoconfig.txt" so I renamed it then read the post again. After I named it back to "echocfg.txt" it started working. I was able to have it run a global action and turn some lights on/off, although it only seems to understand me part of the time.

I noticed there is a voice training wizard in the app so I probably need to run it and do the submit feedback via the app so hopefully that will increase the accuracy.

My six year old has had one in his room for several weeks now and just lost his two top front teeth so he talks funny now. I wonder how it handles multiple people using it as it seems to understand him better than me :oops:

New Amazon Echo Support - Deane Johnson - 08-05-2015

monetteboy, one of the things I have noticed is that if there is any noise in the room, Echo has some trouble reacting. With several folks in the room talking, albeit quietly, I noticed the microphone array jumped back and forth between myself and other conversations. The end result would no doubt be that it got a strange set of instructions by mixing several conversations together.

I've also noticed that if the TV sound is on, even quietly, it has a lot of trouble hearing me.

New Amazon Echo Support - jkmonroe - 08-05-2015

mine works perfectly, whether im watching TV or having a conversation or playing music. the only time it screws up is if the baby is crying.

maybe it gets confused if there is a lot of slapback in the room?

New Amazon Echo Support - Dean Roddey - 08-05-2015

The one I'm testing with is sitting a few inches away from the right side computer speaker on the desk. I was watching a Youtube video about the new Porsche 991 GT3 RS and had this long, ominous rising synth tone with the screaming GT3 engine sound, and it kind of made the Echo go whacko for a minute. I guess it's a Porsche fan.

Ambient noise is probably the culprit. My two year old thinks that anytime I give it a command he needs to scream random gibberish ;-)

Another question...

Is it possible to say "alexa, tell control to TURN the Living Room Lights On"?

Since "TURN" isn't listed in the sample utterances I didn't know if that is something that we can add or if Dean has to do it.

Thanks!

New Amazon Echo Support - Dean Roddey - 08-05-2015

You can add any new utterances you want, as long as they keep the same replacement tokens, and of course as long as they work and aren't ambiguous in some way. But I don't think there's a way to do that. Again, a limitation of how the Echo works. It only has the illusion of natural speech recognition because you have to provide every possible utterance variation, and that's really only possible for a fixed set of functionality.

FOr instance:

CQCSetToIntent turn {Volume|Target} {off|Value}
CQCSetToIntent turn {Volume|Target} {on|Value}

Would be ambiguous. It would have no idea which words went with which token. As long as you only used single word tokens it would be ok. But if you also needed to add, say, a three word token:

CQCSetToIntent turn {front porch light|Target} {on|Value}
CQCSetToIntent turn {front porch light|Target} {off|Value}

It wouldn't know what to do with that, I don't think. There's no fixed word to separate the target and the value.

BTW, the sample utterances may seem redundant, but it will only take as many words for a replacement token as is present in one of the utterances. So if you just added:

It would ignore anything but the first word of the thing you want turn on. So you have to have an utterance defines one, two or three word variations on each token, as required.

I think that it would require a specific Off/On intent to do what you want to do. Maybe I'll play around with it some more today and add a couple more intents to it.

Dean Roddey Wrote:You can add any new utterances you want, as long as they keep the same replacement tokens, and of course as long as they work and aren't ambiguous in some way. But I don't think there's a way to do that. Again, a limitation of how the Echo works. It only has the illusion of natural speech recognition because you have to provide every possible utterance variation, and that's really only possible for a fixed set of functionality.

FOr instance:

CQCSetToIntent turn {Volume|Target} {off|Value}

Would be ambiguous. It would have no idea which words went with which token. As long as you only used single word tokens it would be ok. But if you also needed to add, say, a three word token:

CQCSetToIntent turn {front porch light|Target} {on|Value}
CQCSetToIntent turn {front porch light|Target} {off|Value}

It wouldn't know what to do with that, I don't think. There's no fixed word to separate the target and the value.

BTW, the sample utterances may seem redundant, but it will only take as many words for a replacement token as is present in one of the utterances. So if you just added:

It would ignore anything but the first word of the thing you want turn on. So you have to have an utterance defines one, two or three word variations on each token, as required.

I think that it would require a specific Off/On intent to do what you want to do. Maybe I'll play around with it some more today and add a couple more intents to it.

Ah ok. I was just trying to make it as easy as possible for the family. Since we have been using the Echo for a few weeks it's hard to not talk to it like we do with the Hue connection "Alexa, turn on the hallway light" etc.

So would "CQCSetToIntent turn {front porch light|Target} to {on|Value}" work?