Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community
Sage Media Server driver (beta) - Printable Version

+- Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Driver Development (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Sage Media Server driver (beta) (/showthread.php?tid=5497)

Sage Media Server driver (beta) - Dean Roddey - 01-07-2013

I don't think that's related to this. This is more just not finding the server at all.

Fonceur Wrote:Using the IP of the SageTV server for all the drivers?

Yeh. Supposedly it's on this same machine. What is the executable name of the server? I see the two services indicated in my post above. I've tried the host name and localhost and neither work for either server or extenders.

Sage Media Server driver (beta) - DaveB - 01-07-2013

Dean Roddey Wrote:I don't think that's related to this. This is more just not finding the server at all.

Just seems strange that they are both sockets related issues and that my Sage driver worked perfectly for several years previously.

sic0048 Wrote:Once you install the SageTCPDriver, you need to configure the plugin by going in under the "Installed Plugin" menu option and choosing the SageTCPDriver plug in. You need to enter the MAC addresses of each extender separated by a comma. Then specify the ports you used when installing the CQC Sage Player Driver. Both the Sage Plugin and the CQC Driver default to the same port, so use it unless you are installing more than one extender on the same system.

It's slow to load the SageTV client remotely because it's so graphics intensive but I brought it up and the documentation doesn't agree with what you said above. It just sais enter the names in one list and the ports in another. It doesn't say anything about MAC addresses.

I finally got it to connect. He had taken the instructions as the plugin config indicated and put in names. He changed it to MAC addresses. And ultimately I seemed to have to put in the IP address to get it to connect. It didn't seem to want to connect using the name.

I wonder if there's an issue if it gets an IPV6 address? If so, the driver should probably force the IP address resolution to be for an IPV4 address.

Actually, if it is that the local host resolves to an IPV6 address and Sage can't handle it because it doesn't listen on IPV6, you can deal with that in the manifest by adding this to the IP config section:

CQCCfg:AddrType="IPV4"

That will force the resolution to be V4.

Sage Media Server driver (beta) - sic0048 - 01-08-2013

Glad you got it workings. I didn't recheck this thread until just now.

Obviously you guys figured out that you do in fact need to use the MAC addresses of the extenders when configuring the SageTVTCP driver plug in on the sage system. I know it says "Name", but there are no names associated with extenders, only MAC addresses. Perhaps Fonceur could change that to read "Mac Address" as I think it would make set up a little clearer.

I do find it strange that you couldn't change the port configuration in the CQC Sage drivers. I just tried to add another Sage Player driver myself and found the same thing. I don't think this was always the case as I have two working Sage Player drivers set up myself.

I do think the driver needs to be updated to allow that field to be editable. Otherwise anyone with more than one extender will not be able to add a second (or third, etc) driver.

As far as not including SageTV drivers in the shipped version, I guess that is a decision for Dean to make. If there is to be Sage drivers included, they should be these beta drivers IMHO rather than the old version that is currently shipped. Personally I think Sage drivers should be included still. Obviously Sage is not in business anymore, but there are still a ton of Sage systems out there and obviously new people using CQC that have Sage systems themselves. In fact, I think it is likely that people who where technically able to set up a SageTV system are exactly the type of people that might be interested in a CQC system. I also agree that there is no alternative that even comes close to the functionality of a SageTV system. So until there is a clear good alternative, I think the SageTV drivers should still be included.

Sage Media Server driver (beta) - Dean Roddey - 01-08-2013

I'm not sure if it's worth it or not at this point.

Sage Media Server driver (beta) - Fonceur - 01-08-2013

sic0048 Wrote:I know it says "Name", but there are no names associated with extenders, only MAC addresses. Perhaps Fonceur could change that to read "Mac Address" as I think it would make set up a little clearer.
Actually that's just a friendly name, so people can easily know if it's the "living room" extender or something. The IP and Port are the important parameters, and they get automatically pre-assigned.

Quote:I do find it strange that you couldn't change the port configuration in the CQC Sage drivers. I just tried to add another Sage Player driver myself and found the same thing. I don't think this was always the case as I have two working Sage Player drivers set up myself.
Indeed, that wasn't the case before. Maybe the CQC version from 3-4 years ago didn't enforce it or something. Wink

Sage Media Server driver (beta) - Dean Roddey - 01-08-2013

Fonceur Wrote:Indeed, that wasn't the case before. Maybe the CQC version from 3-4 years ago didn't enforce it or something. Wink

I think that's the case, that there was a bug of that sort back when.