Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community
Sage Media Server driver (beta) - Printable Version

+- Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Driver Development (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Sage Media Server driver (beta) (/showthread.php?tid=5497)

Sage Media Server driver (beta) - SamVimes2 - 04-21-2010

Fonceur, could you incorporate that functionality into the driver?

Sage Media Server driver (beta) - Fonceur - 04-21-2010

SamVimes2 Wrote:Fonceur, could you incorporate that functionality into the driver?
Which one, the "ExtenderControl :EnterStandby, ExitStandby, Reboot" field that has been in there for a year? Wink

Sage Media Server driver (beta) - sic0048 - 04-21-2010

Fonceur Wrote:Technically, that application is doing the same thing, issuing a "killall" command... Wink

The same as what? The reboot command in the driver?

As you've already pointed out, the driver cannot communicate without the extenders being connected to the Sage service. Once they loose that connection, they will not automatically search for it again. That is probably the part that Sage needs to fix. I cannot image it would be so hard to include a script that would regularly search for a Sage Server if it looses connection for some reason.

In the mean time, at least running these scripts upon a reboot helps eliminate some of the times this happens. Of course if the extender looses the connection with the Sage Server for some other reason, I'll still have issues. But really the only time I've seen that to be the case is when I manually stop the Sage Service and restart it again for debugging purposes. I've also created two shortcuts on my desktop that will run the reconnection scripts as well. So when I manually cycle the Sage Service, I simply run the scripts to reboot the extenders. This causes then to search out and reconnect to the Sage Server.

PS - just another big THANK YOU for all the work you've put into the CQC driver. I still need to try out some of the new functions, but this is one of the drivers that is used the most around our house!

Sage Media Server driver (beta) - SamVimes2 - 04-21-2010

Fonceur Wrote:Which one, the "ExtenderControl :EnterStandby, ExitStandby, Reboot" field that has been in there for a year? Wink

No, the functionality in the script to reboot a 'disconnected' extender so it reconnected to the driver.

Sage Media Server driver (beta) - sic0048 - 04-21-2010

SamVimes2 Wrote:No, the functionality in the script to reboot a 'disconnected' extender so it reconnected to the driver.

I guess there are two ways of handling this. Warning - I am writing this as I think through the issue, so I am coming to conclusions as I write this.

First - is it possible to create a CQC trigger on the connection status of a driver? I'm not sure it is possible, but if it is, then you could use existing programs like the sageextctrl.exe to send commands "outside" of CQC that would reboot the extender. Then set the trigger up to run that .exe file whenever the driver looses connection.

Second - I guess if it is possible to do the above, it should be possible to add this language to the CQC SageTV Driver so that it happened automatically without the use of a trigger. I assume this is what you are asking Foncuer to add. The driver obviously knows when it looses connection with the server. When that happens for lets say 3 consecutive attempts, then send a telenet command to reboot the extender. It seems like all the pieces are already in place to make this happen, it just needs to be added to the driver.

That would be a nice feature to add to the driver. Of course it would probably need some sort of gate control to prevent it from constantly trying to reconnect if the server is down for some reason. I'm sure it isn't going to use a lot of resources, but it might still be best to limit the reconnection attempts to 1 every minute or two.

Sage Media Server driver (beta) - batwater - 04-21-2010

I have my WHS (where SageTV is running) execute a script at 4am that reboots the extenders causing a reconnect. During WHS startup I have a delayed script that forces a reboot of extenders to cause a reconnect. Perhaps that same mechanism could be triggered via CQC when it is noticed that the extenders have dropped off?
-Ben

Sage Media Server driver (beta) - Fonceur - 04-21-2010

What you need to keep in mind is that driver is connected to SageTCPServer, not directly to the Extender. So the Extender can stop talking to SageTCPServer, without the CQC connection being dropped. Would the window state (full screen or not) be triggered then, I don't know...

As for sageextctrl.exe, it does exactly the same thing as the ExtenderControl field, it telnets into the Extender and issues a command. The only time that the EXE would work but not the CQC driver's field, would be if the SageTV server itself is not up, which isn't that useful in the first place...

Sage Media Server driver (beta) - potts.mike - 05-19-2010

I thought people might want to know that sage 7 is coming soon.
http://www.geektonic.com/2010/05/sagetv-7-arrives-tomorrow-new-ui-plugin.html

Sounds like they have addressed some of my complaints so I might have to give it a shot.

Sage Media Server driver (beta) - SomeWhatLost - 05-20-2010

the public beta of v7 is already out... get it here
what effects does v7 have on the driver? are they compatible? do we need a new driver/tcpserver/???

and there is a new API thingy... not sure what an API is, but Driver writers sure seem to get excited by them... maybe they are the driver writers version of p0rn?Confusedhock:

anything good in the API thingy?

Sage Media Server driver (beta) - Fonceur - 05-20-2010

Well, there is a new GKusnick's Tools Library, so assuming he didn't go out of his way to break things, it should be transparent... I will be able to get the SageTCPServer as either a Library or Standard plugin with GKusnick's Tools Library as dependencies, but not sure it will affect much else.