Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community
Problem Moving CQC to new Computer - Printable Version

+- Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CQC Support (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Problem Moving CQC to new Computer (/showthread.php?tid=11226)

Pages: 1 2

Problem Moving CQC to new Computer - kblagron - 02-05-2022

Well, my 2007 vintage computer finally started failing, so I decided to upgrade, and found a great deal on an HP Proliant Server.  Since I was running Win10 on my CQC Server, and also had WSE2016 on another, I figured I would combine those two with this much faster option.

I followed the guidelines from the forum - copied everything from CQC folder in "program files" to the new computer and put it there.  I changed the name of the new computer to the name of the old one, and renamed the old one so it wouldn't interfere.  I also changed the IP address to be the same.  

When I installed CQC, I decided to move up from CQC 6.0.1 to 6.0.7, figuring that wouldn't be an issue, and that very well could be the problem.  Anyway, CQC is running, but in the AI, all of the devices show to be offline (i.e. red), and if I try to pause or resume or reconfigure one, I get this message:

01/01 00:00:00-KBLAGRON, CQCAdmin, MainThread
{
    CQCKit, CQCKit_ThisFacility.cpp.3370, Failed/Not Found, Error: 6009/0/0
    No CQCServer was found on host 'CQCSERVER'
    /CQC/CQCServer/Admins/CQCSERVER
      <CQCAdmin> CQCTreeBrws_DevicesBrws.cpp - 2255

}

The new WSE 2016 box is named CQCServer, but of course it has a longer name because of the domain.  Maybe someone with more experience can help me out on this one.

RE: Problem Moving CQC to new Computer - kblagron - 02-05-2022

As a followup, I deleted CQC, including the Appdata info that is stored in the Temp folder.  Everything installed fine, and I can install the CQC drivers without any issues (and they are black, not red on the AI).  Of course I don't want to do this, my system is very customized over the last 15 years.  I can live with reinstalling the drivers, but figure there is much more to figure out if I go down that rabbit hole.

RE: Problem Moving CQC to new Computer - Dean Roddey - 02-06-2022

The drivers are configured for that old machine (just because you moved the MS doesn't necessarily mean you want the drivers to move.) Go back and do your original system again and get it up and going. Then go to the browser tree and go to the drivers. You should see your old server name there. Right click it and there's an option to move those drivers to a new server. Enter the new server name, and let it do its thing. Then best to restart to be safe, actually it may ask you to.

RE: Problem Moving CQC to new Computer - kblagron - 02-07-2022

(02-06-2022, 06:49 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: The drivers are configured for that old machine (just because you moved the MS doesn't necessarily mean you want the drivers to move.) Go back and do your original system again and get it up and going. Then go to the browser tree and go to the drivers. You should see your old server name there. Right click it and there's an option to move those drivers to a new server. Enter the new server name, and let it do its thing. Then best to restart to be safe, actually it may ask you to.

Thanks I got it up and running, and see how to move the drivers.  I wasn't sure how to install CQC on the new server.  Should it be installed as a Master Server as well, or wait until all of the device drivers are moved over.   

Right now I have it as a non master server with device control, and have yet to move any of the device drivers since I wanted to make sure on this step.

RE: Problem Moving CQC to new Computer - Dean Roddey - 02-07-2022

If it was the MS and will be again, you should set it up as the MS. You don't need the old machine around. All you are doing is just changing the configured server that the drivers will load to.

RE: Problem Moving CQC to new Computer - sic0048 - 02-08-2022

What great timing. I am doing the exact same thing - replacing my CQC and SageTV computer (my USB ports failed on the old machine and it was a good excuse to get a new used machine). I was just about to tackle this problem and thought I would have to reload every driver. It's good to know that there is a way to to a mass move from one machine to another!

RE: Problem Moving CQC to new Computer - kblagron - 02-08-2022

Well this is the way I ended up doing it, which worked, but maybe not as Dean recommended.

I came across this 2018 post from IVB who was doing the same here, and he had similar problems to me with Dean providing input.  I didn't follow everything they were doing fully but ended up getting mine to work using this and the steps below.

Post: https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums/showthread.php?tid=10730

Steps:
  1. Stop CQC services on old master server
  2. Copy CQC folder to new location on new master server
  3. Install CQC on new master server (as master server) and locate the installation when it asks.  (First time through it fails, as mentioned in link above, but second time it works)
  4. Reinstall CQC 2nd time.  All drivers are offline, but events, logic server info, interfaces are intact. 
  5. In the Admin Interface, I selected Devices-> Right Clicked on the Old Server Name, and it showed the New Server Name, and once that was selected, the Drivers began working.
Any other method I tried I could either move the drivers over, but not the events, logic server config, etc.  This worked for me.  Good luck, and if you figure out a better way, let me know.

RE: Problem Moving CQC to new Computer - Dean Roddey - 02-08-2022

Yep, that's the right way. The drivers aren't literally on a given machine. They are all on the MS. The machine they are configured for will look for drivers configured for it and load them. All you are you doing in the last step is changing the machine name that those drivers are configured for, then the new machine sees them as his and will load them.

RE: Problem Moving CQC to new Computer - kblagron - 02-11-2022

After some pain and suffering, I got everything moved over.  It's pretty amazing how many things are "customized" on your system that you forgot about after 15 years.

Some comments:

• The Media Repos wouldn't ever initialize.  I had to delete each driver and then create the same driver / name and point it to the location and it worked fine.
  • The Datalog DB driver which I still use a lot wouldn't use the older version of MS SQL Server, so I had to upgrade to the later versions, which are a good bit different.  After installing MS SQL Server 2019, and MS SQL Server Management Studio 18.1, and doing a backup and restore of the old one, I got it up and running.
  • I am still struggling with the TTS announcements.  It worked with David's voice initially, then I switched back to Zira, and there is no sound now,  so some work to be done on that.  Frustrating when it works, you try to make it better, and the whole thing craps out.
  • I would recommend going with a different server name initially, getting it installed, and if you want to change it back to the original name, then redo the process.  With WSE 2016, once you pick a name, you more or less are stuck with it unless you reinstall (I did it three times).  The reason I didn't want a different server name was because I had a number of templates that were tied into the webserver name, and switching the name would of meant changing a lot of templates.  By switching it twice (and with Windows 10 it is easy, not so much with WSE), you can go back to the original name and not have to change a ton of things.
  • Lastly - I hope I don't have to do this again.  about 3 or 4 days of working through issues, all minor, but time consuming.

RE: Problem Moving CQC to new Computer - kblagron - 02-12-2022

On bullet point 3 above - The Text-to-Speech driver needed to be deleted and then reinstalled.  It initially worked, but had Microsoft David .vs. Zira.  When I switched to Zira in MS Settings, the TTS didn't work.  I eventually deleted the driver and reinstalled, and it started working, and since you select the voice within the driver, apparently what is selected in Settings has no effect on the voice used in CQC.