Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community
Troubleshooting Network Issue - Printable Version

+- Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CQC Support (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Troubleshooting Network Issue (/showthread.php?tid=11086)



Troubleshooting Network Issue - zra - 04-17-2020

Dean,

My master server is not communicating properly with a secondary server that is located across a wireless link(ubiquiti nano stations). The remote computer can see all the drivers/servers on the master, but the master can not see the the remote computer drivers(they are showing up in red). Further I get log messages errors that advise checking the firewall. I've turned off both personal firewalls, can ping the machines from both direction, I can log on to the remote both via remote desktop and into the cqc admin console regardless of the firewall status. Networking between the two subnets is otherwise functional.

I have third machine on the same host(VMs) as the master and it can see the remote computer and vice versa. All looks good there.

The master sees all the other servers/drivers. I've reinstalled it and that has not made a difference.

Is there a troubleshooting technique you can recommend?


RE: Troubleshooting Network Issue - Dean Roddey - 04-17-2020

Open the CQC Command Prompt and run CQCNetTest on the master server and capture the output

CQCNetTest > nt.txt

and post the output. The most common scenario if not a firewall is that the remote machine is reporting a different host name locally than what is being seen via name lookup. Another is perhaps name lookup is reporting IPV6 addresses but you have it disabled on the target machine perhaps.


RE: Troubleshooting Network Issue - zra - 04-17-2020

(04-17-2020, 06:14 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: Open the CQC Command Prompt and run CQCNetTest on the master server and capture the output

CQCNetTest > nt.txt

and post the output. The most common scenario if not a firewall is that the remote machine is reporting a different host name locally than what is being seen via name lookup. Another is perhaps name lookup is reporting IPV6 addresses but you have it disabled on the target machine perhaps.
Got it working, Dean.

First thing I did was reenable IPv6(they were disabled on both machines). Second thing I did was change the computer name from CQCMaster to cqcmaster. The later was what I have in my DNS. I also added my domain suffix to the network adapter (add dns suffixed to this connection). I also updated under computer name/domain under more. I added my domain suffix.

Reboots on both machines and everything is working. I have now re disabled IPv6 on both machines, rebooted and everything is still working. Conclusion is that it was either the host name not being exactly the same as what was on my DNS server or adding the domain name suffix in the appropriate spots.

Thanks for your help.


RE: Troubleshooting Network Issue - zra - 04-17-2020

Now I have a new problem. The old CQCMaster and it's numerous drivers are no longer being recognized. Presumably because I changed the server name. I ran the installer again but that didnt help.

Any suggestions?


RE: Troubleshooting Network Issue - zra - 04-17-2020

Dean,

I went back and reversed the name change and fixed the issue, but I would like the ability to change the name of this server. Is there a way to do that?


RE: Troubleshooting Network Issue - Dean Roddey - 04-17-2020

The drivers are stored under the name of the server they are on. You can right click on the server in the browser tree and select to 'move' the drivers, which really just changes the name they are configured to be under, then asks the affected servers to rescan.

You may need to change it more than just changing the case of the name though. ANd of course if you rename the master you need to re-run the installer on other machines and point them at the new MS name so they can find it.


RE: Troubleshooting Network Issue - zra - 04-17-2020

(04-17-2020, 02:18 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: The drivers are stored under the name of the server they are on. You can right click on the server in the browser tree and select to 'move' the drivers, which really just changes the name they are configured to be under, then asks the affected servers to rescan.

You may need to change it more than just changing the case of the name though. ANd of course if you rename the master you need to re-run the installer on other machines and point them at the new MS name so they can find it.

Thanks Dean,

Ill give that a go.


RE: Troubleshooting Network Issue - zra - 04-18-2020

Dean,

I had to rename the machine cqcmaster1. Then moved server to cqcmaster1, but upon doing so, it generated an error so it appeared to not work. However, upon rebooting, the name had changed, so it worked. Something to look at it. I repeated the process back to cqcmaster, same error, but nevertheless the name changed after a reboot.

Now everything is working under the new name cqcmaster.