Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SmartThings: IVB's saga
IVB Wrote:dumb question: How often do you use the ST app compared to CQC, and why do you use it over CQC? Speed of startup?

I personally despise the ST GUI, with >30 things in 11 rooms it takes too long to find what I'm looking for. I use the Android widget for routines, CQC for most (unless its on a refuse-to-connect stupid taRiva). The Echo is now 90% of our interactions.

I use ST mostly for remote access to check lights and thermostats from cell phone.(yes app is quick) I have CQC/Ipads on walls up 24x7 for majority of the use in house. Elk M1 to run mission critical landscape/security/fish tank,etc lights.
Wow 90% echo use. Looks like I need to take my echo out of the box and carve out some time to install this weekend.
kfly Wrote:I use ST mostly for remote access to check lights and thermostats from cell phone.(yes app is quick) I have CQC/Ipads on walls up 24x7 for majority of the use in house. Elk M1 to run mission critical landscape/security/fish tank,etc lights.
Wow 90% echo use. Looks like I need to take my echo out of the box and carve out some time to install this weekend.

Think about it this way: If you want to turn something on/off, its FAR FAR easier to just say "Alexa turn <x> <on or off>" then to even use the ST app. Obviously thats for local, not remote. And we use it for Nest control too (Alexa trigger heat to 69).

And after this weekends hangout i'll learn how to link into CQC to get feedback on the current value of devices. Hoping to learn how to do "Alexa what the heck did my kids set the heat to", or "Alexa is the doggy door open". And if that works, then maybe I can really stretch and say "Alexa what zones are currently open".
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
IVB Wrote:Think about it this way: If you want to turn something on/off, its FAR FAR easier to just say "Alexa turn <x> <on or off>" then to even use the ST app. Obviously thats for local, not remote. And we use it for Nest control too (Alexa trigger heat to 69).

And after this weekends hangout i'll learn how to link into CQC to get feedback on the current value of devices. Hoping to learn how to do "Alexa what the heck did my kids set the heat to", or "Alexa is the doggy door open". And if that works, then maybe I can really stretch and say "Alexa what zones are currently open".
Let me know when Alexa can go get a beer.
kfly Wrote:Let me know when Alexa can go get a beer.

Echo->IFTTT->Maker->Roomba->Vending machine style beer fridge that drops a beer onto the roomba.

Bada bing, bada boom, bada bang.
IVB Wrote:Echo->IFTTT->Maker->Roomba->Vending machine style beer fridge that drops a beer onto the roomba.

Bada bing, bada boom, bada bang.

Like the thinking. May have to go with this as Roomba may not carry a six-pack.http://robot.segway.com/
Of course will be asking Dean for a CQC Driver.
IVB,

Be careful with the Pollster app. I am recently using ST (no CQC) but there were some grumblings about the Pollster causing battery life on wireless sensors to significantly decrease. Which makes sense.

I know your wired mainly but it could affect your locks.
Also...just to be helpful.

If your using ST, and your device is directly supported then it will run locally without the cloud on a v2 hub. Here are the links how you can tell if an app or device is local.

Devices running local:

Local Devices

SmartApps running local:

Local Apps
Bal Wrote:Also...just to be helpful.

If your using ST, and your device is directly supported then it will run locally without the cloud on a v2 hub. Here are the links how you can tell if an app or device is local.

Devices running local:

Local Devices

SmartApps running local:

Local Apps
Thanks for the help!
Bal Wrote:IVB,

Be careful with the Pollster app. I am recently using ST (no CQC) but there were some grumblings about the Pollster causing battery life on wireless sensors to significantly decrease. Which makes sense.

I know your wired mainly but it could affect your locks.

oh got it thx. I'll either remove the polling on the lock or just drop to max time. All my other devices are wired, so no worries there.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ISY, multi-controllers via SmartThings and IFTTT (ugh yes) IVB 3 948 01-24-2018, 03:47 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Increasing Echo->SmartThings suckage? IVB 0 1,069 04-18-2016, 07:08 PM
Last Post: IVB