Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Combining Server and Client
I have decided to dump my old server/sage/CQC/everything computer and put CQC on its own device. I choose an ASUS VivoPC-VM40B-02 which is a low power Intel device which should hopefully be a little more stable than my current set up. This will be dedicated for CQC and will have a StarTech USB to serial hub for my device control.

My plan is to combine my current server and another computer (which due to its serial card hosts most of the drivers) onto this one device. I think I am straight on how to copy over the server side directory and set that up, what I don’t know is how to also duplicate the set up from the other computer onto the new server directory without setting up all the serial devices again. Is there an easy way to do this?
If you have two machines that are hosting drivers, you wouldn't be able to automatically combine them like that. You'd have to re-install the drivers from the secondary machine on the new combined machine. Just be sure to give them the same monikers and nothing should be affected. You can always go through and write down each moniker/port combo before you kill the old one.

Be sure of course to remove CQC from the other machine, or at least remove all of the drivers, or you'll have a mess with the same drivers on both machines. You could still run some drivers on that old machine if you want.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
daddyd Wrote:I have decided to dump my old server/sage/CQC/everything computer and put CQC on its own device. I choose an ASUS VivoPC-VM40B-02 which is a low power Intel device which should hopefully be a little more stable than my current set up. This will be dedicated for CQC and will have a StarTech USB to serial hub for my device control.

My plan is to combine my current server and another computer (which due to its serial card hosts most of the drivers) onto this one device. I think I am straight on how to copy over the server side directory and set that up, what I don’t know is how to also duplicate the set up from the other computer onto the new server directory without setting up all the serial devices again. Is there an easy way to do this?

I'm considering a ASUS VivoPC as well for a master server and wasn't sure whether to go with the i3 or i5 version. Would like to get your impressions on whichever you have chosen. I would also be interested in idle power consumption if you have a way to measure.
I didn't go with either the i3 or i5, it is just an Intel Celeron 1007U processor (Asus VivoPC-VM40B-02) that I picked up from Amazon for $240. I was going to add in some more ram and maybe an ssd but she's working really well without it (CPU averages around 18-20% and the memory is @ 30%). This is a dedicated CQC server and Pandora player (through the CQC SProxy driver). I also have a Startech 8 port USB to RS-232 hub attached for my serial devices which is working great. I need to move some stuff around in my equipment closet this weekend so I will hook up my Kill-A-Watt to see what she is measuring in at for electricity consumption.

I did pick up its big brother (the Asus VivoPC VM60 - i5) along with 16 GB of ram and an ssd for my new Sage server. I know the ram is wasted on Sage but I do some media ripping/converting/serving on it so I didn't want to lag at all. I should have that up this weekend. I’m hoping to drop my electricity consumption down from about 400w/hr. (2 big rigs for media/CQC/CCTV and they run 24/7) to about 75w.
Thanks for the info, sounds good.

Will be interested to see the power numbers if you get a chance.
Dean Roddey Wrote:If you have two machines that are hosting drivers, you wouldn't be able to automatically combine them like that. You'd have to re-install the drivers from the secondary machine on the new combined machine. Just be sure to give them the same monikers and nothing should be affected. You can always go through and write down each moniker/port combo before you kill the old one.

Be sure of course to remove CQC from the other machine, or at least remove all of the drivers, or you'll have a mess with the same drivers on both machines. You could still run some drivers on that old machine if you want.

If I want to incrementally move to a new master server, how can I do that in pieces?

I'll be switching from XP to Windows 8.1 so I would like to keep drivers on the old master server until I can find the device drivers etc for Win 8 and get it moved over.

For example, I might move the IV and simple internet based drivers first like weather over as a first pass. Then probably one at a time until finished, but I need to keep the system fully working at all times.
For that, just remove one from one machine and install it on the other. As long as you give it the same moniker, no one will know or care that it moved.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:For that, just remove one from one machine and install it on the other. As long as you give it the same moniker, no one will know or care that it moved.

Ok, that is the part I was pretty sure about.

What about adding the new server?

I currently have a master server with everything running on it.

Now I get a new machine and copy my CQC directory over and run the installer.

If that isn't how I start, then how do I get going? I'll want to run the IV on the new server so I will need to at least get the templates over from the existing master server.

What installation options do I use? Is this a master server or a non-master server at install? If it is a master server, how do I change the old master server? If it is not a master server, how do I switch it later?

Any other gotchas?
Oh, you want to make the new machine the master and the old machine just become a client/secondary server?

If so, then stop the service(s) on the master. Move the directory to the new machine and run the installer. Once you are sure it's happy over there, remove the old CQC directory, or just copy it away somewhere. Then do a new install on that old machine and just install whatever you want to have available there. Then start moving drivers back to the old machine as you need/want to.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:Oh, you want to make the new machine the master and the old machine just become a client/secondary server?

If so, then stop the service(s) on the master. Move the directory to the new machine and run the installer. Once you are sure it's happy over there, remove the old CQC directory, or just copy it away somewhere. Then do a new install on that old machine and just install whatever you want to have available there. Then start moving drivers back to the old machine as you need/want to.

Is it possible to just run the installer on the old machine and convert from master to secondary server?

I would prefer this since to start, almost everything will be left there.

Then, I'll add drivers to the new master as I'm able based on getting hardware / drivers in place.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Server Hardware for WebRiva greyjeep 4 147 08-04-2019, 07:15 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Master server PC Mark Stega 10 747 06-12-2019, 09:51 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  CQC error installing on server 2016 zane 3 423 05-28-2019, 12:07 PM
Last Post: zane
  Combining label and value??? rtarver 2 528 02-08-2019, 11:05 PM
Last Post: rtarver
  Size of IV Client George M 4 652 01-05-2019, 11:34 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  master server crash tom 8 1,453 10-21-2018, 04:21 PM
  Reconnecting CQC Client to CQC Master when IP addr changes on Master KenC 2 1,420 10-30-2017, 11:51 AM
Last Post: KenC
  MS Speech Platform configuration on Windows Server 2012 mbrown 3 2,392 08-30-2017, 09:34 AM
  Master Server Migration codihoffman 6 3,651 08-02-2017, 01:53 PM
  New fanless server? Gigabyte rtarver 2 1,975 05-13-2017, 09:24 AM
Last Post: rtarver