Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XBMC discussion
I think the things that made it difficult for me are bluray and audio over HDMI. I had to do the whole playercorefactory thing to get bluray ISO and Disc working with TMT5. I had to set the audio to digital to get it to use my HDMI. But you are right, it's not that bad.

I already have a driver mostly done. I am working out a few kinks and will post it after a little more testing. It is a combo HTTP/JSON which is pretty much what other developers are doing. HTTP to do all the up/down/left/right/select stuff and thumbnails. JSON to do videoplayer control. No direct music or picture support yet, but that can all be accessed via the XBMC interface using the HTTP control commands.

One big disappointment is losing the cool AEON XBMC sound effects with external control (HTTP or JSON). I tried to workaround it but no matter how I accessed the commands there are no sound effects, they must hook into the actual keyboard commands for that at a very high level. I couldn't find any mention of that on the forums. It might be related to me using digital/hdmi for audio.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
Post Wrote:sorry, this is getting long.

Your experience seems different than mine.
As for setup, I found it to be the easiest by far.
Install, set sources, chose theme, done. All from inside the main interface.

This has been my experience as well, but when I started with xbmc (6 odd years ago when the XBOX was the only solution) I do remember it took a while to get the hang of the concepts - mind you this was my first adventure into any media center.

Post Wrote:Netflix was fantastic in a windows setup.
enabled xbmcflix and was able to stream netflix movies.
I added xbmc as an 'official source' or whatever that is (forget) to my account and it pulled in all movies with no problems.
it opened a ie windows without bars and used silverlight to play.
that one I had to read the instruction though as I had to change a xml in the xbmc directory.

Can only dream of streaming.

Post Wrote:Now to blueray.
Blueray, imo, is a mess everywhere. xbmc is in the same boat as everyone else (sage, myth, mp)
It has native support for non drm'd but requires a user to remove the drm.
xbmc in windows can launch a myhometheatre to play bluerays when a blue ray disc is inserted. but this is never as nice as full 'native' support.
still ahead (my opinion) of sage and the rest though. however this requires windows, which, imo, is not the nicest way to go for a front end.

This is not good news at all. I use the live CD to install as I just want a "device" not a PC (family has to use it and I am getting sick of windows licenses and updates etc). Although everything I keep is on the server, Istill want to be able to go down to the video shop [not that they have videos any more) and hire a BR movie and play it without the need to rip it first - not unless I can create an automated ripping setup in the box as well - insert disc, go to movies menu and select rip to server.

As for audio over HDMI, I used the xbmcfreaks live CD image that was built specifically for ion chipsets and I had no issues at all.

I have just started looking into the PVR functions as well and found this site
which you probably have already seen
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc/mppvr-doc.html
Its based on media portal, but for me I just want a media portal server in the server cabinet and then xbmc as the front end for everything (except liveTV - the TV can do that).

The lifehacker site linked to in the first post has some good stuff on TV episode downloads and I am looking into that as well (I currently do it manually through tvtorrents.com when I have spare data available which is almost never), but as I have shit internet speeds and download limits, its kinda out of reach as well - I really getting left way behind with technology because of the limitations I have to live with and it sucks big time.

Mick
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
I have the tv download stuff working it is pretty cool. The weak link in the scenario is the TED app. It is using the RSS feeds from the torrent sites and isn't very flexible when search for filenames. It tends to exclude a lot of valid files and the RSS feeds don't seem to be as good as the HTTP version using a browser.

It ends up not finding anything for me most of the time. But when I go out and grab a torrent manually the rest of it (renaming, moving, updating XBMC) all seems to work pretty well.

I am hoping TED works better with more recent episodes, right now I am trying to catch up on shows.

A couple of hints I had to work through:
1.) NULL Exceptions in TED - Had to update my JAVA version.
2.) Increase TED timeouts to maximum
3.) Renamer can't rename files if they are seeding. So you need to turn all your seeding settings off when download is complete in uTorrent.
4.) Don't bother with the HD flag in TED, just increase the file size limits ifyou want HD, I use 800min 2000max. HD flag seems to be looking for 720 AND HD in the filename, but there seems to be some bug there because I have seen it skip files with those in it.
Wuench

znelbok Wrote:This is not good news at all. I use the live CD to install as I just want a "device" not a PC (family has to use it and I am getting sick of windows licenses and updates etc). Although everything I keep is on the server, Istill want to be able to go down to the video shop [not that they have videos any more) and hire a BR movie and play it without the need to rip it first -
Yep this is where i'm frustrated as well.
windows has blueray, but is not as much as a 'device'
I really want a live install with blueray disc ability.
I've yet to try out on the fly drm stripping, but i've heard it works well.
Hopefully it's not too gimmicky and is a solution that can be replicated easily
- (this is a personal setup so i'm also not worried about any country's drm laws)

znelbok Wrote:I have just started looking into the PVR functions as well and found this site
which you probably have already seen
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc/mppvr-doc.html
Its based on media portal, but for me I just want a media portal server in the server cabinet and then xbmc as the front end for everything (except liveTV - the TV can do that).
I've used that one with a windows xbmc.
Latest thing that I've tested is
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=88515
This has worked really well. but is really only a solution where someone only has one box and not a server / client solution.

I always forget to think in terms of cqc. i.e there is the ability to change programs in a sudo-unified way.
However, I would still rather have xbmc be the complete front end with the ability to stream live tv (i have sat). I've also been hearing about people being able to pvr shows and have it auto route into their tv shows and movies folders (instead of recorded tv), and auto-scrape. That would be the best setup that i can think of.
Post Wrote:However, I would still rather have xbmc be the complete front end with the ability to stream live tv (i have sat). I've also been hearing about people being able to pvr shows and have it route into their tv shows and movies folders (instead of recorded tv). That would be the best setup that i can think of.

I am leaning that way as well. I have a dreambox sat stb which can stream to xbmc (there is a plug in for that) and there is a DVB-T version as well that could be used.

I think I will drop the mediaportal idea in favour of a more robust off the shelf PVR from Topfield. They have an FTP server built in and you can transfer files from the PVR to your server - it also has a programming environemtn that has a lot of support in Europe and Australia and they are doing everyhting I need now. Having FTP will allow mw to have the TV shows in the movie folder (should be able to connect directly from xbmc to the PVR via ftp). Should xbmc fail, I can still use the PVR as it was intended - a stand alone PVR and keep the handbrake happy.

I still want CQC to be able to interface with xbmc. There are something like the ability to put a notifocation on the screen that I find handy. When I had a home phone with CID, I had CQC send a command to xbmc to put the callers name on the screen so I would know who was calling. This is a simple scenario, but it can be extended to many different types of alerts.

I also want it tied into the movies repo so that I can pick a movie from the tablet and xbmc will play it - just like we do with WMC (which I think if BR and PVR support for XBMC eventuates, we should drop WMC in favour of).

The only reason I can think of going to a windows version of xbmc is that I could run the CQC IV as well on the TV, but I dont want the hassel of windows for this app.

Mick
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
znelbok Wrote:I still want CQC to be able to interface with xbmc. There are something like the ability to put a notifocation on the screen that I find handy...

I also want it tied into the movies repo so that I can pick a movie from the tablet and xbmc will play it - just like we do with WMC (which I think if BR and PVR support for XBMC eventuates, we should drop WMC in favour of).

I have notifications working in the driver, thought that would be handy too. Also I planned to have you do the repo thing, but haven't tested it yet. It all has to be done with filenames, so you have to retrieve the filename from a repo and submit that to XBMC via the driver. Not with cookies like you normally would.

I recently found some more ways to do things with JSON, that I am doing with HTTP, but right now JSON is much slower than HTTP for me. It is taking 2-3 seconds for a JSON command to take action. HTTP is probably half a second. So i'm trying to cut that down. And I am still getting a lot of valuerejected's and timeouts on the JSON interface, it needs a little more work. HTTP is working well though.
Wuench

Thanks a lot for working on this.

I discovered today that sigma is planning on using xbmc in their new boxes.

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/uploads/libr...110104.pdf

would be pretty cool to have a sage type of extender for xbmc.
Just to give you guys an update on the XBMC driver. I know you guys are waiting for it, but the interface is in flux. I have been playing with it and modifying it every weekend. Things should settle down, hopefully, once 11.0 is released.

My original intent was to release a JSON based driver with the missing functionality filled in via the HTTP interface. I have that mostly working with 10.0. In 11.0 they are slated to remove the HTTP interface and move to the JSON interface with complete functionality (although they may keep both).

So I probably won't release a driver until a little after 11.0 comes out (3 weeks according to their roadmap). I am still discovering the depths of XBMC but the good news is I have (fingers crossed) a fully functional JSON parser now with decent performance and hooks into all the interfaces so hopefully it won't take much to get it completed once 11.0 is released.
Wuench

Hey have you checked out the icefilms addon? (streaming addon)
I was completely blown away by how good it is.

Not so sure what the legality of it may be in the US, but for the rest of us it's quite amazing.

Thanks again for working on this - I think that this will become an important driver in the future; especially with the LG - Plex agreement. link

btw. I just bought an ATV2 to run xbmc - should be fun.
Ok guys I decided to stop keeping all the fun to myself. XBMC is not scheduled to release 11.0 until 12/2011 and that is when JSONRPC is going to be more stable. So in the meantime I decided to go ahead and release what I have so far for a driver.

Warning you now it's not fully baked and stuff may not be backwards compatible with future releases of drivers and XBMC...

Look for the [thread=9722]driver thread in the beta section...[/thread]

Here are some images of my templates...

XBMC Overlay
[Image: normal_XBMCOverlay.png]

XBMC Movie Details Popup
[Image: normal_XBMCDetails.png]
Wuench

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MQTT support discussion Dean Roddey 30 396 9 hours ago
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Official 5.4 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 340 22,891 02-19-2019, 08:27 PM
Last Post: kfly
  Official 5.3 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 815 120,084 07-05-2018, 12:44 PM
  Official 5.2 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 244 77,690 10-14-2017, 07:57 PM
  Official 5.1 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 453 176,932 05-16-2017, 03:45 PM
  Official 4.7 Beta discussion thread Dean Roddey 295 77,405 04-23-2015, 04:19 PM
  4.4 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 327 76,172 10-06-2013, 12:46 PM
  4.3 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 386 83,861 04-24-2013, 04:37 PM
  4.2 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 216 46,992 08-01-2012, 12:44 PM
  Official 4.0 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 573 124,843 09-01-2011, 11:35 AM