Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IP remote Power switch / PDU
Anyone got any advice on this ?
just remote rebooted my server from the office and it didn't come back :-(

I have a UPS so don't really want to replace it, so was looking at a cheap $<200 US ip power switch... and looking at it if it can switch say 6A then i might use it for a few other things in my wiring closet. (assuming there was some control on it?)
I know you don't want another UPS, but APC has an inexpensive model that can be controlled by its web interface down to turning individual outlets on & off. The list price is $200 so I suspect you might get it for less. You need to port forward from the router for access outside of your LAN.

APC Back-UPS HS
Mark Stega
i think there is a driver for APC somewhere... ?
This thread is for an apc driver, which was deprecated in favor of a general snmp driver. Scroll down to post #35 to see the driver in use with an apc ups...
Mark Stega
APC made a product called a Masterswitch.

I recently did a search on APC on e-bay and noticed that there were a couple there.

I have one and use the SNMP driver to connect to it. It also has a HTTP interface so you could access that outside of your network when the server was not running.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/APC-Master-Switch...7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/APC-LR63938-Maste...7C294%3A50

Mick
we have one at work, just a crappy little 8 port box, it may claim to have surge protection or something... HTTP only I believe... think it was between $60-$90 new... don't remember its name or where we got it though:-( ...
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
Mark Stega Wrote:I know you don't want another UPS, but APC has an inexpensive model that can be controlled by its web interface down to turning individual outlets on & off. The list price is $200 so I suspect you might get it for less. You need to port forward from the router for access outside of your LAN.

APC Back-UPS HS

This looks pretty cool. If I were looking for something like this (ie controllable), but a little beefier, and with some managed shutdown features, what would you recommend? The APC product names are pretty confusing.
The APC AV product line has an S10, S15, and S20 which differ mostly by capacity. I have seen many AV racks using these as the power backup.
Mark Stega
for the sake of simplicity, whatever you go with, you obviously want to make sure you can control it with CQC and a web browser.

SNMP appears to be supported quite well in the area of UPS', and there is a SNMP CQC driver. If there is a custom protocol document then you have to go to the trouble of getting a driver written for a one off - which is where the SNMP driver is handy, it can do any device that supports SNMP

Mick
Is SNMP really that simple to set up? I've read through the documents and it makes my head spin. I have a rack mounted plug strip that can be controlled via serial or SNMP commands, but I didn't think it would be easy to set up. I've forgotten the exact brand, but it is pretty common I believe. I'd love to have it hooked up to my CQC system.
Brian

"Really dear, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, look at what it does now...."
I think my wife is getting a little tired of hearing this :-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Remote Control Question gReatAutomation 8 607 07-15-2019, 11:33 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Matrix Switch or.... gReatAutomation 8 783 07-14-2019, 09:07 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  New inexpensive switch ellisr63 6 2,722 11-26-2018, 06:27 PM
Last Post: ellisr63
  Neeo remote on kickstarter potts.mike 33 18,289 06-20-2018, 07:50 PM
Last Post: dogman
  remote or Corp Apartment HA in my future IVB 19 8,034 04-21-2017, 11:52 AM
Last Post: IVB
  after last storm/power outage my CQC Master Server is no more SomeWhatLost 5 2,470 03-01-2016, 10:56 AM
Last Post: wuench
  elegantly simple light switch... SomeWhatLost 7 1,963 10-18-2015, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  My RTI Remote Setup Experience bbrendon 10 5,736 09-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Last Post: bbrendon
  Remote Control Questions jbh5000 24 9,174 01-18-2015, 02:55 PM
Last Post: bbrendon
  U-verse Remote LesAuber 7 3,798 11-03-2014, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey