Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ODBC on 64-bit systems
froop Wrote:The c:\windows\system32 directory actually contains all your 64 bit DLLs, not 32 bit DLLs as the name suggests.

W7 does some funky remapping, such that if a process is running in 32-bit mode, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 maps to the real location of the 32-bit directory, and if a process is running in 64-bit mode, it maps to the 64-bit directory.

The 32-bit versions of system32 are located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

So The 64-bit DLLs are in "system32" and the 64-bit ones are in "SysWOW64". Couldn't be simpler :-?
Thank you - worked perfectly. Looks like I might have a working 64 bit W7 CQC systemSmile
Well 4 a little while - perhaps an hour. After reconfiging a couple of drivers, CQC service will not load.I know I did AudioPlayer, file tag browser and SageMedia
It wouldn't be too likely that the drivers would have anything to do with it. They are managed by a completel separate program from the service itself, which just starts them up. It may be that you are just seeing the kind of flakey issues that some folks are, and it just happened to work before, and may work again if you try it enough times.

I actually did some tweaking today on the service stuff, for a drop tomorrow. Since I had to be into all the service stuff again to write one for the MS support guy wrt to a TTS test, and was kind of refreshed on the topic, I went through the service support and made some changes. Nothing major, and it would seem unlikely to be an issue, but you never know. So give it another try tomorrow after the next drop.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Is it possible the service wouldn't load after the first reboot?

I think that's what happened for me. When trying to start the service or any CQC app it takes 65 seconds for it to launch. This causes the service to time out. There are registry settings to adjust that timeout, so at least the service will launch, but it still won't launch automatically. Or at least I couldn't get it too.

I only run the client utils on my Win7 64bit system now without the service. But that won't work for your master server. You might consider installing VMWare Server and creating an Windows XP VM that launches and runs CQC. With VMWare Server (vs. Workstation) you can launch VMs automatically on startup, and it is free. That's my plan for my new system when I get it built. Plus there are additional benefits in that you can archive off the VM in a file for backups etc.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
pseigler Wrote:an fyi for those folks emplimenting distributed systems.

if you'll be using cqc on a 64-bit OS, most likely would be Vista or Win 2k3 or 2k8, and you need db access ia ODBC connections, use the 32-bit version of the ODBC Management tool to configure your DSN's if you run into any problems with CQC accessing databases/seeing the system DSN's. - you'll most likely run into the problem if your db is on another system.

If you configure DSN's via the Administive Tools -> Data Sources (ODBC) interface, you'll be configuring 64-bit versions, which 32-bit applications can not use.

in vista, you can access the 32-bit version of the ODBC Management tool by launching c:\windows\system32\odbcad32.exe. on W2k3 it's located under c:\windows\syswow64.

you may find you need the following provider if using odbc on a 64-bit win2k3 box.

c:\windows\syswow64\odbcad32.exe on Windows 7 x64

Can we please get this info added to the MyMovies HTML Driver Page?
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
OK, it's updated.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Considering cqc, what is it's best complement of systems? rhosch 14 1,647 02-26-2019, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Setting up ODBC for CQC IVB 8 2,124 01-21-2018, 09:35 PM
Last Post: potts.mike