Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SubSonic Media Server API Support?
Wanted to post this here so everyone knows there is a very nice media server out there called SubSonic. The developer is very helpful and I assisted him many moons ago in testing SubSonic as a music service source for SONOS for all of my music.

Looks to be a standard REST API and is well documented.

http://www.subsonic.org/pages/api.jsp

Wanted to know if this is something that is worthwhile for inclusion into CQC.
It looks nice. I'm not sure it provides enough metadata to act as a standard CQC media repository. It may require using MusicBrainz ids they provide to do separate MusicBrainz queries for that info. It provides some info on its own, but it might not be enough.

Music repos are a big deal and require a lot of work to support, so it would require careful examination, which will be a lot of work before even starting.

One issue for us is that we have to have all the metadata preloaded into our media repo drivers, else we could never respond quickly enough (particularly for scrolling through albums and artists and such via finger flick.) For things like JRiver or My Movies, we just suck over all the data when the driver comes up. We could never afford to go out to MusicBrainz to get information upon access. We'd have to do it all up front when the driver loads, which wouldn't be a good thing since very time the driver started we'd make a lot of accesses and they'd probably cut you off.

So, if it required that, we'd be better off just supporting MusicBrainz as a metadata source in our own repository, where we can store that info away and reuse it each time the driver loads.

Of course his has some useful advantages, mainly that it supports HLS streaming. But, there are so many players that will just stream from a shared directory that that's not THAT big of an advantage. As long as we know where the file is, we can point the player (renderer) at it which is how all the current repo/renderer combinations work. Well, the Plex one uses its own players which also (AFAIK) do HLS type streaming from their repository. But most others are just pointed at a file and stream from that.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Would this not be a better and easier solution to support for media than PLEX? I use SubSonic so that I can play my music through SONOS locally (ie, works with no Internet connection).

Although I have PLEX installed, it's used mostly so I can play movies through AppleTV and for iPhone photo sync, etc.
I don't know if it's easier to support or not. But Plex wouldn't go away either way, so it would be another repo to support, and each one is a lot of work. If you are talking about local music (not streams), then you can do that with the Sonos as well by pointing them at files, which is now it normally works. Folks already do that. Our repo just points the Sonos as the file to play. It just has to be in a shared directory that you've give the Sonos access to.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
(06-16-2019, 09:42 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: I don't know if it's easier to support or not. But Plex wouldn't go away either way, so it would be another repo to support, and each one is a lot of work. If you are talking about local music (not streams), then you can do that with the Sonos as well by pointing them at files, which is now it normally works. Folks already do that. Our repo just points the Sonos as the file to play. It just has to be in a shared directory that you've give the Sonos access to.

SONOS BOOST can only index 65,000 and my library is pushing 1TB. I just thought the SubSonic would be helpful due to its easy interface. The developer, Sindre, is also excellent, reasonable and open to ideas.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New MQTT support Dean Roddey 47 1,171 05-25-2019, 12:21 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Logic Server not sending triggered events znelbok 7 280 05-08-2019, 08:13 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Files of type "Logic Server config" cannot be edited chmilar 2 256 04-06-2019, 11:53 AM
Last Post: chmilar
  why master server needs DHCP client running? lleo 4 548 01-04-2019, 01:13 PM
  Does the auto-gen template system support Roku? ghurty 3 546 12-31-2018, 06:14 PM
  Logic Server bad events rbroders 1 739 10-14-2018, 09:59 PM
  Logic Server Math kblagron 6 1,415 09-27-2018, 01:06 PM
  Triggered Event Server not triggering EST 52 7,147 08-10-2018, 11:23 AM
  What CQC compatible sound system can support 14 rooms? ghurty 14 2,889 08-05-2018, 07:18 AM
Last Post: zra
  The server did not reply to the 'rset' request indygreg 3 1,186 07-26-2018, 11:22 AM