Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking forward to the next drop (6.x?)
So I've been thinking a lot about how to move forward. I've been trying to find something that would provide a big bang for the buck, hopefully on multiple fronts, something fundamental and non-linear in terms of the product's applicability, and something that will provide me with some needed benefits as well.

Ultimately, I think that the best answer is to add support for Linux for the back end. My reasoning is:

1. I badly need to broaden my skill set. I've sacrificed my career to this to the point that I'm the world's leading expert in Me World, which (bizarrely) a lot of other people don't consider as important as I do. Windows/C++ is a dying combination at this point, and the bulk of C++ work seems to on Linux.
2. I've already open sourced my CIDLib code (the general purpose system that underlies CQC), and that's where the work would be done. CQC would mostly just come along for the ride since it is written purely in terms of CIDLib. This could make CIDLib a far more attractive platform for other folks if it was multi-platform (and it would be very cleanly multi-platform as well.) That could get more folks on board at that level to add new capabilities, which CQC could in turn use.
3. Getting the CQC back end on Linux means that it can then run on a wide variety of systems, both Windows and Linux. That would make it a lot more appealing to a lot of folks, and possibly folks with real money to invest. 

CIDLib was designed from day one to support Windows and Linux cleanly, but the opportunity just never arose to actually do it. The whole reason it's very strongly Me World is so that everything would be written in terms of my own 'virtual kernel' and hence portable very cleanly.

I've had Ubuntu on a VM for a couple months and have been playing around with it, and also with the Rust language as sort of side thing. But I could start moving forward with getting the Linux platform driver for CIDLib done as well.

I'm guessing it will be a pretty significant effort, like on the six months time scale. But, if I got it done and cleanly so, it could be quite a coup. This would only be the back end. The front end would stay on Windows because making the UI portable is a whole other couple orders of magnitude more complex.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Point 3 - CQC on RPi would make it very attractive I think to the DIY market. As a master server, server and IV you could roll out a cheap hardware based CQC system.

This though wont be much to those who already have CQC as we have already invested in PC hardware to run our systems.

Maybe something like the automatic discovery protocol that control 4 is using could be added. If they have not closed it off you could compete against them a little more if you could also offer similar features. (I honestly know next to nothing about control 4 other than snippets I hear on podcasts)
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Of course we could go super-radical and rewrite the whole thing in Rust. It would probably end up being a big benefit, but I might not still be chewing solid food by the time I finish.
Dean Roddey
Interesting.  I was excited to hear that as an option until I realised that one or two of my pieces of hardware wouldn't actually work on a Linux back-end.  I may be an exception to the norm, but something we'll all have to work through to varying degrees if going that route.  Even things like an ODBC source setup to mysql would have to be thought through.  It'll add some complications but may be worth it in the end.  I assume it would also still support Windows right?

You'll definitely open up further to the questions of having the IV on Linux too.  Maybe if you get more comfy in the Linux environment the IV could be made to work via WINE. You'll have to search it up, but it allows many windows apps to run in Linux rather well in my experience.  I once had CQC running using WINE inside Ubuntu, but it broke after an upgrade when you updated some visual C libs or something like that and I never played with it again.   If you could get the IV running with stability in WINE that would be very interesting.  Windows Games, Office, Photoshop and other complex apps already run fine this way.  It just may take some tweaking and working with the Wine devs.   Something to contemplate as you think about going the Linux path perhaps.
Yeh, it would support Windows and Linux, so just adding Linux to the mix.
Dean Roddey
+1 on having a Linux CQC server and a Windows "CQC Designer"(front end).

My current setup uses only iPads clients.  My Windows CQC server still has issues at least once a week. Would be great to get to 99.99 reliability on Linux.

Please don't waste any time on a Linux GUI. (Linux is the best server. Windows is the best GUI)
That would be very unusual to be having that many issues on the server. I'm assuming you mean Windows issues, not CQC issues?
Dean Roddey
(05-23-2019, 10:46 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: That would be very unusual to be having that many issues on the server. I'm assuming you mean Windows issues, not CQC issues?

Currently I need to do a Stop/Start App Shell Service about once a week. All 5 iPads stop updating. Nothing in the log and they will not reconnect even after restarting the iPad. It doesn't feel random. It feels like after X number of days we run out of some kind of buffer/handle... My home screen is full of updating data. (Elk,T Z-wave door locks,Weather, Weather map- refresh .jpg). Pretty sure it is one of  the drivers updating data on the screen that is causing it.
Is there a WebRiva log or something on the "Two finger double tap" on the iPad diagnostic screen I can look at next week?

Thanks
Kevin
Some things to investigate would be:

1. If you stop and restart the WebRIVA client does that make a difference? If so, then it would point towards something between being the browser side itself, between the browser and the Web Server, or the Web Server. If not, then elsewhere.

2. What does the memory/CPU usage on the Web Server look like?

3. If you leave a regular IV up and running the same templates, does it have the same issue at the same time? If not, then it can't be any infrastructure they share, which would include the drivers.
Dean Roddey
OK. All iPads stopped at 1:17 am. 
Interface Template Viewer on main CQC works fine.
restart of iPads or browser on iPads just stuck at Connecting to CQC.(even a chrome browser on  the CQC server)
Looks like just a webRiva issue.
screen capture of memory before restart of app shell service - below.
After restart of app shell service.
CQCWebSrv - 91.3 MB
CQCServer is 49.8 MB

[Image: wjevETM.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Text to Speech changes in 5.0.9 and forward Dean Roddey 0 2,015 01-12-2017, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Audio Drop Out simon 3 2,362 07-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Last Post: simon
  Next drop date simon 1 2,074 04-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey