Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY Security System Integration
I'm thinking about adding one of the DIY security systems (e.g., Abode, Simplisafe, Ring, Nest, etc) to my house.   Abode looks to work with lots of third parties (https://goabode.com/works-with-abode), so I'm wondering if it would be possible to integrate into CQC to trigger events.   I'm basically looking for a more modern alternative to Elk.   Thoughts?
I've not looked into any of those, so I'm not sure how they would integrate. That would require some digging. I thought abode was more of an automation system competitor than a security system?

There's a lot to be safe for safe and conservative though. What about the Elk isn't getting it for you?
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Thanks, Dean.   As I was reading about Abode, it says "support for Z-Wave and ZigBee along with voice control via Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant," so I figured it might be integrate-able.  

A few things caught my attention about Abode vs Elk:
1) Simplicity - it just looks a lot easier to set up and get things working.
2) Cost - Less parts to buy, and those parts are all cheaper.  
3) Monitoring options - Abode looks to have more options for self-monitoring and professional monitoring.   I like their option to only pay for professional monitoring as needed.   And the IOS app is pretty slick for self monitoring (do the Elk compatible IOS apps do push/banner alerts?)
4) Integration - I already have Nest Protect smoke detectors throughout the house, and I want to tie those in.  

I've never worked with Elk, so some of those items may be achievable.  In which case, please let me know!

And it looks like you're right in that Abode does have some automation capabilities - https://goabode.com/cue.   But the most I would use it for would be to send triggers.   For example, if a sensor is tripped in Abode, I think it would be slick to have it send a trigger to CQC to turn on the RadioRA2 lights, and then CQC would send a trigger to Blue Iris to start recording.   That's the type of outcome I'm trying to achieve.
If it can send out an HTTP request or text string over socket or serial port, that could be used to trigger events in CQC using one of the trigger drivers.
Dean Roddey
(01-09-2019, 10:01 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: If it can send out an HTTP request or text string over socket or serial port, that could be used to trigger events in CQC using one of the trigger drivers.

I know it can communicate with IFTTT - would that work with the HTTP Get driver?
I'm guessing not. I'm assuming that's a fairly specific interface that might be more than just a simple HTTP GET operation.
Dean Roddey
(01-09-2019, 12:11 PM)cavalier240 Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 10:01 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: If it can send out an HTTP request or text string over socket or serial port, that could be used to trigger events in CQC using one of the trigger drivers.

I know it can communicate with IFTTT - would that work with the HTTP Get driver?

If you can send something to initiate an IFTTT event than you can set IFTTT to send a HTTP request back to CQC. It'll have a delay around 5-10 secs though.  I do this for Google Assistant right now.
I'm now looking harder at the more traditional ELK and DSC systems again. For DSC, it looks like CQC integration is done through the IT100 board on the older PowerSeries systems. Was a new driver ever developed for the NEO series of boards that use the TL280 ethernet interface?
So far just the IT100. Does the other one have a published interface?
Dean Roddey
(01-10-2019, 06:24 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: So far just the IT100. Does the other one have a published interface?

Here's what I've found so far...  Not sure if this helps or not...

http://cms.dsc.com/download2.php?t=1&id=23301

https://www.dema.ch/media/catalog/produc...ual_EN.pdf

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the auto-gen template system support Roku? ghurty 3 105 12-31-2018, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Security cameras kjaerligkatt 11 337 12-23-2018, 10:09 AM
Last Post: sic0048
  Aeotec not starting fast enough on system reboot IVB 3 134 12-15-2018, 04:57 PM
  GetCurMillis immune to system time change? rbroders 6 259 12-09-2018, 02:58 PM
Last Post: rbroders
  System.Runtime.FileSystem documentation missing? rbroders 1 192 11-25-2018, 07:44 PM
  System Config tom 13 705 11-04-2018, 06:45 PM
  Unhandled system exception in GUI Thread Shaky 18 1,168 10-10-2018, 04:23 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  If starting fresh, what is the best garage door system to go with to work with CQC? ghurty 1 459 08-30-2018, 03:23 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  What CQC compatible sound system can support 14 rooms? ghurty 14 1,809 08-05-2018, 07:18 AM
Last Post: zra
  With Echo integration is it possible to have a set and a query with the same command? ghurty 9 1,117 07-12-2018, 08:43 PM